F1 News & Discussions > General F1 Discussion

Three 2021 Grands Prix will have Qualifying Races

(1/3) > >>

cosworth151:
It's official. Three races this season will have qualifying races. The races have yet to be announced.

Here's how it will go. Friday will have FP1 and then a regular quali session. This will set the starting order for the quali race. Saturday will have FP2 followed by a 100 km quali race. Only soft compound tires may be used in this race. This race will be a points paying race for the podium. P1=3pts, P2=2pts and P3=1pt.

Park Ferme rules will apply throughout the entire weekend. If a team guesses wrong on the way in they'll be stuck with it all weekend.

I wonder if these rules were written by the same person who wrote the rules for Fizbin.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.everything-you-need-to-know-about-f1s-new-sprint-qualifying-format-including.1Lawf6r6Ab0y8ha0satSjx.html

Scott:
So racing Saturday and Sunday.  Apart from the senseless part ferme rules, I’m happy if they give it a whirl.

rmassart:
I am not sure I like the points being awarded. Why do they do that? They don't get points for normal qualifying.  It's not like they won't try to be first on the grid.  I am concerned because this season looks like it could be a tight one between Max and Lewis.  I wouldn't be happy to see it decided by the points in a one off sprint race.  We now have three races in which there are more points up for grabs than the others and that's wrong. I know they tried that with double points once, but that was terrible as well.

John S:
Me I'm all in favour of sprint races, I'll get more bang for my buck when viewing F1 over the 3 days. What's not to like.

--- Quote from: rmassart on April 28, 2021, 06:11:27 AM ---I am not sure I like the points being awarded. Why do they do that?

--- End quote ---

I'm sure it's been necessary to balance the top teams risk v reward calculation to get them onboard.
Without unanimous approval they wouldn't be able to do it this season. Cut off dates for non consensual rule changes, that are not safety related, is a long time before the season starts. 

cosworth151:
It looks to me like it will just swing things even further in favor of the big teams. They can far better afford to write off a car on Saturday. I've always been a fan of the smaller, independent teams. They will be the ones who won't be able to make the grid on Sunday if they get a car wiped out on Saturday.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version