collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 377
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Three 2021 Grands Prix will have Qualifying Races  (Read 1895 times)

Offline cosworth151

Three 2021 Grands Prix will have Qualifying Races
« on: April 27, 2021, 02:03:34 PM »
It's official. Three races this season will have qualifying races. The races have yet to be announced.

Here's how it will go. Friday will have FP1 and then a regular quali session. This will set the starting order for the quali race. Saturday will have FP2 followed by a 100 km quali race. Only soft compound tires may be used in this race. This race will be a points paying race for the podium. P1=3pts, P2=2pts and P3=1pt.

Park Ferme rules will apply throughout the entire weekend. If a team guesses wrong on the way in they'll be stuck with it all weekend.

I wonder if these rules were written by the same person who wrote the rules for Fizbin.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.everything-you-need-to-know-about-f1s-new-sprint-qualifying-format-including.1Lawf6r6Ab0y8ha0satSjx.html

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

Re: Three 2021 Grands Prix will have Qualifying Races
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 07:21:03 PM »
So racing Saturday and Sunday.  Apart from the senseless part ferme rules, I’m happy if they give it a whirl.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline rmassart

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 06:11:27 AM »
I am not sure I like the points being awarded. Why do they do that? They don't get points for normal qualifying.  It's not like they won't try to be first on the grid.  I am concerned because this season looks like it could be a tight one between Max and Lewis.  I wouldn't be happy to see it decided by the points in a one off sprint race.  We now have three races in which there are more points up for grabs than the others and that's wrong. I know they tried that with double points once, but that was terrible as well.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 11:05:19 AM »
Me I'm all in favour of sprint races, I'll get more bang for my buck when viewing F1 over the 3 days. What's not to like.

I am not sure I like the points being awarded. Why do they do that?

I'm sure it's been necessary to balance the top teams risk v reward calculation to get them onboard.
Without unanimous approval they wouldn't be able to do it this season. Cut off dates for non consensual rule changes, that are not safety related, is a long time before the season starts. 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 01:16:37 PM »
It looks to me like it will just swing things even further in favor of the big teams. They can far better afford to write off a car on Saturday. I've always been a fan of the smaller, independent teams. They will be the ones who won't be able to make the grid on Sunday if they get a car wiped out on Saturday.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 05:08:36 PM »
Might be time to think about allowing a spare car at those races again.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 07:12:32 PM »

What a great idea.  :good:
Bring back the T car.

Offline Willy

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 07:32:52 PM »
Can't say I'm totally against the idea. I want to see how it plays out.
I do feel those with deeper pockets will benefit on Sunday if cars get damaged on Saturday.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 04:31:14 PM »

Bring back the T car.

A lot of things, like the T car, were stopped as a 'cost savings' measure.  Now that teams have a fixed budget, it's time to eliminate any 'cost savings' measures, and let teams spend their limited resources where they will.  You think you need a spare care more than you need to develop a new wing?  Go for it.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2021, 09:08:44 PM »

Bring back the T car.

A lot of things, like the T car, were stopped as a 'cost savings' measure.  Now that teams have a fixed budget, it's time to eliminate any 'cost savings' measures, and let teams spend their limited resources where they will.  You think you need a spare care more than you need to develop a new wing?  Go for it.

You know what F1 is like Jeri, if one's got a T car everyone will want one.  :D

Offline Robem64

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2021, 08:11:24 AM »
On a positive note, at least they're trying it at three races first - rather than change every race to this format. What I don't like about this is the fact that in essence they've moved quali to a Friday. Kind of makes it impossible to watch if you're working!!!!
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Monty

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2021, 10:58:08 AM »
I don't like the fact that it also serves as qualifying. One incident (even it that is caused by another driver) could result in both the sprint race and the main race being destroyed.
If it was a stand alone race with the almost insignificant points being awarded (for the front runners) it might have produced some 'go big or go home' drives from the backmarker teams.
Now it will literally be 'qualifying' but wrapped up in a race.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle