collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 405
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 2021 Portuguese Grand Prix Heroes and Zeroes  (Read 1694 times)

Offline Jericoke

2021 Portuguese Grand Prix Heroes and Zeroes
« on: May 02, 2021, 05:20:42 PM »
Heroes:

Lewis Hamilton.  He's been in the dominant car for so long, it's easy to overlook just how good his racecraft is.  He was caught out on the safety car restart, but he put in perfect passes on Max and Bottas. 

Alonso.  A world champion trapped in a midfield car.  He's got the skills, but doesn't feel like he's always applying them.

Ricciardo.  Starting low in the grid and getting points is great.

Norris.  Solid race weekend.  'Best of the rest' is third over all in points.

Schumacher.  Finishing better than second last in a VF-21 is worthy of admiration.

Zeroes:

Aston Martin.  How have they gotten so bad so fast?  They have good drivers.  They have solid financial backing.  Has Perez put some sort of Aztec curse on them?

Max.  Give the boy a colouring book so he can learn to stay between the lines.  We're expecting the championship to come to the wire, he can't keep throwing away points.

Bottas. 
Bottas:  "Yay, I'm at the big boy table!"
Max/Lewis:  "LOL, no, you're not"

Mazepin.  Dead last, but sure, let's try to take out the race leader.  Most of the time 'dangerous' drivers are taking risks, stupid risks perhaps, but at least fighting for points/position.  Mazepin does not have the situational awareness required to race safely in F1.  That's not something that can be learned on the job.

Offline Willy

Re: 2021 Portuguese Grand Prix Heroes and Zeroes
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 04:14:07 PM »
+
Lewis:
Once again his talent comes thru. Bottas surprised him on the restart but he made up for it.

Portimao:
I really like this track. The elevation changes and the challenges of its open exposure to the wind make it not just another processional circuit. It adds another level of excitement.

Norris:
He keeps getting better and smarter.

-
Bottas:
I think he is a smart, thinking driver but he has Lewis as a teammate and that is never going to end well for him. Even in the same car, he just can't call on the same level of skills that it's going to take.

Mazepin:
Somebody give this kid his Dad's money back and tell him to go home before he gets someone killed.

Williams:
Really? I thought once Clare was history the boys could imagine a better result and get it together.  Is it money, design, what?  Russell has the skill and I think Latifi does as well but they are both stuck in a steaming pile of $%^.

Offline rmassart

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 06:49:42 AM »
I agree on Portimao, I really like the undulating track. No idea if it's nice to race on, but it's good to watch from the couch!  The last turn into home straight seems steep enough that the driver can't actually see the straight until he's on it.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 01:28:00 PM »
Most have already been mentioned but I do want to mention two:

Hero - Portimao. An outstanding circuit. The wind really showed that these are the largest F1 cars ever. The unsighted start-finish line mentioned by rmassart reminded me of Road America.

Zero - Mazepin. I'm a Haas fan. I understand that the team doesn't have the money or facilities to both update the current VF-21 and develop an entirely new car for the 2022 rules. I agree that it is in the best long term interest of the team to concentrate on next season. That said, there is one thing that can be easily done to improve the VF-21. Put somebody else, almost anybody else, in the car that is current being wrecked driven by Nikki the Spin!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 01:31:30 AM »

Hero - Portimao. An outstanding circuit. The wind really showed that these are the largest F1 cars ever. The unsighted start-finish line mentioned by rmassart reminded me of Road America.

Zero - Mazepin. I'm a Haas fan. I understand that the team doesn't have the money or facilities to both update the current VF-21 and develop an entirely new car for the 2022 rules. I agree that it is in the best long term interest of the team to concentrate on next season. That said, there is one thing that can be easily done to improve the VF-21. Put somebody else, almost anybody else, in the car that is current being wrecked driven by Nikki the Spin!

Being it's a American team why not put a American
driver in it. The car is so bad what have they got to lose.
Wonder if Scott Speed is too old now
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 01:23:17 PM »

Being it's a American team why not put a American
driver in it. The car is so bad what have they got to lose.

Apparently the Andrettis think that Colton Herta, a 21 year old IndyCar driver and son of Brian Herta, has what it takes to compete in F1.

I'd like to see the Andretti family involved in F1, maybe they can partner with Haas to run the team?

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mario-andretti-colton-herta-f1/6463335/

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 02:08:56 PM »

Scott was doing very well in Rallycross until he broke his spine in it back in 2019. He was leading the series at that point.

I'd like to see Josef Newgarden get a shot at F1.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle