collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 334
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Bottas Out???  (Read 3045 times)

Offline Philbe

Bottas Out???
« on: May 09, 2021, 04:33:35 PM »
I think Bottas sealed his fate today when he didn't let Lewis past, in fact slowing him up by over a second. It's a good thing it didn't change the outcome of the race. I get that Valterie is a racer and wants to fight for the win every time, but, shouldn't you be a team player first?

Online Jericoke

Re: Bottas Out???
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 12:46:39 PM »
I think Bottas sealed his fate today when he didn't let Lewis past, in fact slowing him up by over a second. It's a good thing it didn't change the outcome of the race. I get that Valterie is a racer and wants to fight for the win every time, but, shouldn't you be a team player first?

I generally agree with you.  I feel like Bottas is playing chicken with Toto:  "If you want me to act like a good teammate, then you have to give me a good teammate contract".  Bottas doesn't have a contract for next year, why should he give up points for free?

At the same time, who's going to hire a driver who doesn't listen, AND is consistently slower than his teammate?  Red Bull and Ferrari certainly aren't looking for a driver.  Haas and Alfa aren't going to pay him anything near what Mercedes does, much less give him opportunity to win.  Maybe Alpine or McLaren are looking for a race winner.

Offline Willy

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 02:37:08 PM »
I feel Bottas is a smart, thinking driver who looks at all the angles. He does not have the skillset of Lewis and it obviously bothers him.
But he is letting ego dictate his actions on track and it will not end well for him if he continues.
Not when George is snapping at his heels.

Offline Philbe

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 04:41:34 PM »
I'm not even sure Toto is uber fond of George these days either. One race in the fastest car on the grid and he comes within a whisper of the win doesn't make him the prime choice. Is that Williams so un drivable that he can't make a showing on race day?
P.S. Willy...my folks live on Town Road.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 12:11:45 AM »
The writing is on the wall!
VB is not only not up to the job he seems to be intent on proving it so I cannot see him getting a Merc contract for 2022 and GR will be LH's team mate.
Looking forward where would VB go? Back to Williams and the back of the grid?  On the same topic is SP better than AA? I believe Red Bull are in a similar position with MV commenting "I alone".
Only time will tell.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Willy

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 02:12:03 PM »
Philbe, In Falmouth? Small world.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 01:32:29 PM »
Think VB knows his only hope of a Merc seat next term is if Lewis retires as George will surely be in the Merc next term come what may.

A question to consider in defence of Bottas is how much info other drivers have of either team mate strategies or the general overall race picture whilst hurtling round lap after lap. Surely a driver with his team mate behind him on the road cannot be expected to jump out of the way because the team says so; was Bottas fully aware of what the team were attempting.

We all feel that radio calls like the infamous 'Fernando is faster than you' is wrong so did Valtteri have the full picture?   :DntKnw:   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Monty

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 02:14:35 PM »
It is hard to remember sometimes but F1 is a team sport and the team should come first. In fairness to Mercedes they have almost always treated both drivers equally (even in the Rosberg years). However, in this latest example the team were planning a very risky strategy and Hamilton & Bottas were on completely different strategies. VB certainly knew that and this should have been enough for him to understand that he did need to 'jump out of the way'.
If Mercedes give him the 'push' at the end of the season I think it will be more because of his recent attitude than his lack of performance.

Online Dare

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 02:05:16 AM »
Maybe that's the reason I haven't watched a race this year. Not
allowing a driver to race is so fun to watch.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Andy B

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2021, 05:02:15 AM »
This used to happen with Schumacher all the time look at the podium fiasco with Barrichello it's said that if MS was your team mate it was written into your contract that you were in a supporting roll.

Offline Monty

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2021, 09:18:55 AM »
The sad thing is, that two cars on different strategies cannot 'race'. Bottas was like a mobile chicane to the much faster Hamilton. Hamilton easily passed him in a normal DRS divebomb move, but Bottas could have ruined the 'real' race between Hamilton and Verstappen. We have all commented on what might make F1 racing better - I have always been against pit stops and different tyres. If everyone had to race on the same rubber all race (and the tyres were good enough to last the whole race) we would be watching a proper race. However, I also recognise that this removes the 'roll of the dice' element that perhaps F1 needs to keep some tension.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2021, 01:56:02 PM »
The sad thing is, that two cars on different strategies cannot 'race'. Bottas was like a mobile chicane to the much faster Hamilton. Hamilton easily passed him in a normal DRS divebomb move, but Bottas could have ruined the 'real' race between Hamilton and Verstappen. We have all commented on what might make F1 racing better - I have always been against pit stops and different tyres. If everyone had to race on the same rubber all race (and the tyres were good enough to last the whole race) we would be watching a proper race. However, I also recognise that this removes the 'roll of the dice' element that perhaps F1 needs to keep some tension.

Ideally all passing is done on track.  Undercuts/overcuts might be interesting to the F1 nerds like me who appreciate the strategy, but, I'd rather see straight on track action.

F1 talks about the 2022 rules encouraging on track passing.  If that works, I'll gladly give up pit stops entirely.  If it doesn't, I'd like to see more options for a pit stop.  More adjustments to the car available beyond tires and a 'quarter turn' to the front wing.  If we can't get the action on track, let's dial up the chess game on the pitwall.

Offline Willy

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2021, 07:02:34 PM »
Bring back refueling

Offline Andy B

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2021, 04:15:21 AM »
Bring back refueling

I doubt that'll happen as they'll not now have the budget for it.

Offline Philbe

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2021, 12:22:29 AM »
They won't need to refuel with the big batteries these cars will have. What will they call it, Formula E1?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle