collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 349
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Spanish GP Winners & Losers  (Read 2195 times)

Offline Willy

Spanish GP Winners & Losers
« on: May 09, 2021, 05:45:09 PM »
+
Lewis
No surprise as he is the most talented of the field and can call upon skills when required that no other driver has, or has in the current car they drive.
Max
He had a fantastic start and scampered away easily. He is getting better each race and will be world champ one day soon.
Charles
He managed to bring the red car home with no issues at the pointy end. Nice to see as he is a good driver and will only get better.

Losers

Bottas
Are you kidding me?? You held up Lewis and knew he was racing for the win. A childish move that should get him tossed. George has shown you that he can make you look foolish in the same car so why are you risking your seat due to ego.
Mazepin
Get this kid out and back to lower classes so can get some more experience. How can he not know what blue flags are? And was HASS on the radio to him as they should have been about the car trying to lap him?
Red Bull
Max's pitstop time.

Offline rmassart

Re: Spanish GP Winners & Losers
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 08:51:54 PM »
That pretty much sums it up.

I did notice that at one stage in the first half of the race, that the three ex world champions Alonso, Vettel and Raikkonen, with 7 titles between them, were battling for... Wait for it... 11th place! And I think that was about as good as it got for them in the day. How the mighty have fallen, or just past their sell by date...

Thinking a couple more years into the future, I imagine they will all be gone. Maybe Hamilton as well. 2024 might really be the start of a new era.

Offline Monty

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 09:22:03 AM »
 :good:
Hamilton - he really has become a class act
Ferrari - not my favourite team but they seem to be getting back to where they should be
Ricciardo - a good weekend
Russell - consistently outdrives the car

:nono:
Verstappen - forcing people off the track is not 'skill'; it is recklessness
Bottas - he may have been able to match Verstappen's times in free air but he couldn't get close to overtaking Leclerc and then deliberately held up his team mate. Time to go!
Mazespin - he has no place in F1

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 12:56:12 PM »
I would add Mercedes as a team.  With Lewis very close to overtaking Max, it would have been very easy to call off the pitstop to gain track position.  Sticking with their pit strategy took nerves of steel.  We've all seen Hamilton waive off strategy he doesn't agree with, so convincing the 7 time WDC to give up a sure pass means they've earned an insane amount of trust.  I don't know that ANY other driver I've seen in F1 would have taken that pit stop.

Mercedes has three wins, three different ways.  They're not just out their ripping around in the fastest car like most champions, but they're relying on strategy at the pit wall and skill in the 44 car to make a close fight look like child's play.

I also agree that Mazepin is posing a very real danger.  Whatever you feel about blue flags as a rule, it is the rule and trying to block a car that is several seconds a lap faster, who is expecting you to get out of the way, is going to lead to a bad crash that was entirely foreseeable.  When it happens, we can point the finger at Haas, at Steiner and the FIA.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 01:40:25 PM »
Sorry I wasn't in the Chat Room for it. I was helping put on the annual Mothers Day Breakfast at our AMVETS Post. We did have the race up on one of the TVs.

I'll add a Zero for Giovinazzi's pit crew for trying to put on a flat tire in a pit stop.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 04:18:12 PM »
But kudos to the Alfa wheel gun man who pounded on it to show it was flat as no one else seemed to notice.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 06:30:16 PM »
But kudos to the Alfa wheel gun man who pounded on it to show it was flat as no one else seemed to notice.

It does bring up a few questions:
  • What happened?
  • How easy is it to tell an F1 tire is flat?  They look pretty rigid, and I'm going to assume the weight doesn't change much when flat.
  • How often does a tire fitted to the rim to go flat, and is caught earlier in the process?
  • Who attaches the tire to the rim? Pirelli or the team?
  • Does a defective tire set count towards allotment? If not, does Pirelli have a stack of tires ready to go for spares?

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 08:14:21 PM »
The weight change would not be noticeable. The tire would be mounted and inflated by Pirelli. The team would adjust the inflation level themselves.
Lonny

Offline Andy B

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 12:22:32 AM »
Willy!
No way did Max "Scamper away" as the maximum gap to Lewis was only 1.5 seconds till the final pit stop.
In all the years that I have watched F1 I have never seen or heard of a fresh tyre being found to be flat at a pit stop, quite strange.

Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Willy

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2021, 02:08:26 PM »
Andy B.
Your right, Max did not "Scamper away" but he did stretch out the lead very fast. 
But it sounded good didn't it?

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2021, 04:09:47 PM »
Andy B.
Your right, Max did not "Scamper away" but he did stretch out the lead very fast. 

Back to Lewis's brilliant driving.  He knew he probably couldn't fight past Max until the opportunity arose, so why put the car through that and take the risk?

Offline Andy B

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2021, 10:25:12 PM »
Andy B.

It did sound good Willy but it was still only a 1.5 second lead as I was surprised that LH could maintain that smaller gap for so long.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2021, 04:13:25 PM »
I was just listening to the Midweek Motorsports podcast for last week. They said that Giovinazzi's tire problem was due to a faulty tire valve.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle