collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 347
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Baku Heroes & Zeros  (Read 1916 times)

Offline Willy

Baku Heroes & Zeros
« on: June 06, 2021, 07:58:22 PM »
Heroes
Seb
He drove a great race and showed why he loves this track, he is fast on it. Nice to see Seb get a podium.

Baku
 A street circuit but one with wide long straights and lots of passing opportunities. But its narrow sections and tight 90 degree corners call for complete focus for the drivers as this track does not reward mistakes.

Perez
He showed why Red Bull took a chance on him with his second top step this season. Red Bull now has a driver that can compete with Max and gives them two race winners. A team to be reckoned with for sure.

Alonso
A well-driven race and he got everything out of the Alpine he could to finish 6th. Shades of Alonso in his prime. I was not sure he should have come back but he did a good job today.

Zeros

Pirelli
A lot to be answered for with two life-threatening shunts due to rear tire failure, it appears. Both Lance and Max are lucky they were able to keep control enough to not slip into the driving lane as their rears failed and they were thrown into the walls at near 200 MPH. Thankfully both walked away with no issues.

Lewis
Overcooked the brakes for the 2 lap restart and then late braked right down the escape lane. A bad move that cost him the retaking of the lead in the Championship. Lots of racing left to make up for this one. Damn good thing Max did not finish in the points either.

Leclerc
From pole to finish 4th and at no time were you a threat. The 4th position was not due to great driving either. I had high hope when he started in F1 last year but Carlos seems to have gotten a handle on the Ferrari faster than Leclerc did.

Offline Scott

Re: Baku Heroes & Zeros
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 08:29:08 PM »
Agreed except Pirelli and Lewis. 

Lewis said he brushed a button that apparently disabled his rear brakes.  No sure why there would be such a button, but who knows.

Plenty of things could have caused the tires to fail, including puncture, track defect or simply that they were near the end of their life, at least in Max’s case, and maybe early race rubbing in Stroll’s case.

Also in the hero’s was Gasly who did a wonderful job at defending 3rd for those critical last two laps.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 09:52:49 PM »
Heroes:

Vettel - Started 11th, finished 2nd, showed much daring and style along the way. Also spoke lots of truth to power in the post-race interviews.

Perez - Finished despite his engine having such severe problems that at one point he was asked to retire (Checo ignored them and put his extensive engine management practise he obtained with Racing Point to good use instead). I gather his finishing position was decent too ;)

Schumacher - Had an oil pressure problem, a battery charging problem, a pitstop so slow he spent time in the garage, nearly got hit by Mazepin... ...and overtook Mazepin in the final lap (it may even have been the final corner) to finish 13th.

Zeroes:

Pirelli: You said these tyres would last 40 laps. The harsh running on Friday showed there might be a problem, but you insisted there wasn't and that the tyres would still last 40 laps. They did not last 40 laps, gave no warning before total shoulder failure (a mechanism that shouldn't happen that far away from the prediction), and you tried to blame debris that, as far as can be ascertained, wasn't there. A marshal nearly got killed today thanks to your false predictions. Next time, please do better, or at least make your excuses more plausible (a simple "We will investigate fully and tell you the results later", without further elaboration, would be a good response at this juncture, given that you clearly did not know the actual answer at this time). Or maybe stop trying to predict the performance of your products in an apparent sop to the FIA and Amazon AWS.

Sainz - The Turn 3 run-off is not a recognised part of the continuous circuit. Please brake earlier and gentler in future at that corner.

Bottas - For the vanishing act near the end of the race.

The brake switch is to activate brake regeneration. It's not possible to run both regen braking and standard braking at the same time, and the two modes of braking have different performance characteristics. However, this seems more like a user interface issue than a pure driver error.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 09:58:10 PM by Alianora La Canta »
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline rmassart

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 06:38:51 AM »
Heroes

Karma - Given what happened to Verstappen, I'm kind of glad that Lewis got no points either. Keeps the standings somewhat honest.

Zeroes

Stewards - Everyone on the grid after Verstappen's crash apparently didn't slowdown enough and they should all have come in for a 10 second stop-go penalty. I don't agree that just because they all did they should not get a penalty. That rule is not about race advantage, but about safety.

Williams - For ruining Latifi's race.

Bottas - Although I'm tempted to add him to the heroes list, I mean he did finish 3 places and 6 seconds ahead Lewis, that takes some doing!  :DD :DD :DD

Seriously though, I wonder how much longer Bottas will have that drive if he doesn't  up his game soon. It's making things harder for Hamilton as he can't rely on someone to get in the way of Verstappen's pit strategy. Verstappen had that problem last year.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 06:41:52 AM by rmassart »

Offline Andy B

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 11:09:12 PM »
From what I have read the magic button transfers all the brake balance to the fronts for use during warm up laps only the rears do not need it as that braking is via KERS. I sure there will be a modification to the button or its function before France.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Monty

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 09:11:03 AM »
.....in reverse order  :crazy:
Baku - I hate it when I am watching a race live but wished I was watching a recording so I could fast forward!
FIA - why on earth did they restart? The potential for a disaster on the first corner was reason enough not to start the race. Also, the people that had worked hard all race, deserved not to be thrown into a last minute lottery!
Bottas - oh dear, oh dear!

I think most valid opinions have been covered by other clever people here.
As far as I am concerned the jury is out on Pirelli - too many tyres finished intact to assume that there was a fundamental flaw in the tyre construction. I think there will be other reasons.
I am in the camp of putting Hamilton in the unlucky hero category. He had worked miracles all weekend to be somewhere near the front and he didn't deserve the disastrous ending (even if he can be blamed for knocking the 'magic' switch off).

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 03:28:29 PM »
Besides things listed above -

Heroes:

Schumacher - For the reasons Ali listed above.

I'm still waiting for further info on Pirelli. During the race, it reminded me of the Michelin debacle at the 2005 Indy U.S.G.P. We'll see how it all shakes out.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 04:59:59 PM »
FIA - why on earth did they restart? The potential for a disaster on the first corner was reason enough not to start the race. Also, the people that had worked hard all race, deserved not to be thrown into a last minute lottery!

The regulations require a restart if possible (i.e. if the track can be made usable and still be in the 3-hour total maximum time permitted for the race), and further require a standing restart unless there's a reason why this cannot happen (basically, if it's about as risky as a standard Lap 1 start, it's going to be a standing restart). "Potential for first-corner chaos", by itself, does not qualify for either a stoppage or a rolling restart, because Lap 1 has the same potential for first-corner chaos (because when the FIA does that risk assessment, it does not assume that qualifying put the cars into anything resembling their actual pace).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 05:28:37 PM »
I'm pleased they did the restart.  It's nice to see Lewis make a silly mistake that hands the race over to someone else.  A much more interesting podium IMO.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Robem64

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2021, 03:15:08 PM »
I'm pleased they did the restart.  It's nice to see Lewis make a silly mistake that hands the race over to someone else.  A much more interesting podium IMO.

Totally agree with this Scott  :good:
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle