collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 384
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 2022 Russel Bottas swap?  (Read 3851 times)

Online Dare

« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 12:32:53 AM by Dare »

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Online Jericoke

Re: 2022 Russel Bottas swap?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 01:50:22 PM »
I presume this is why Ocon has signed for 3 more years with Alpine.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 10:53:37 PM »
If true this was always on the cards as Merc have to prepare for LH's departure and GR has shown he's a good prospect. Only time will tell what going to happen.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline rmassart

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 06:11:22 AM »
I am wondering if they will get Russell earlier. As much as Hamilton likes Bottas as his wingman, I think this season he might need a wingman who is actually, you know, on his wing. Not eating his dust down in 15 place.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 09:18:01 AM »
I'm getting the sense of a lengthy divorce rather than a sudden break-up. 2022... ...though I think Toto will be nervous because George still has some rough points to his driving that occasionally bite him.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2021, 11:13:12 PM »
GR's apprenticeship is over it's time for the big boys shoes.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Online Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 10:04:57 PM »
I'm getting the sense of a lengthy divorce rather than a sudden break-up. 2022... ...though I think Toto will be nervous because George still has some rough points to his driving that occasionally bite him.

I feel like any of Russel's faults right now are a matter of him trying to prove it's not him, but the car holding him back.  If the car isn't going to get points, you might as take chances and risks that he wouldn't have to in a 'better' car.

Offline Willy

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 11:15:00 PM »
Not a surprise after George showed his ability last year as he stood in for Lewis one race.
George certainly gave Bottas notice that his days in a Merc were numbered.
I, for one, am looking forward to seeing George as Lewis's teammate.

Online Dare

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 01:58:09 AM »
Not a surprise after George showed his ability last year as he stood in for Lewis one race.

I think if you put most any F1 driver in the Mercedes they
would impress just like if you put Lewis in the Williams he
would look average
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Online Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2021, 12:05:32 AM »

would look average

I'd have agreed with you last year, but how much time did we spend this season discussing the 'disappointment' in drivers like Alonso, Vettel and Sainz slowly adjusting to their new teams?

Russel jumped into a new car, and embarrassed the guy who'd been driving it all year.  Sure, if Russel had gotten third, I'd chalk that up to the car, not the driver.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2021, 12:52:37 PM »

would look average

Not sure I can go with that Dare. Lewis has only been beaten twice over a season by his team mate in his 14 completed seasons in F1, once in 2011 by Jenson & 2016 by Nico, and then not by much. To me that marks him out as an extraordinary F1 driver, never mind his 7 WDCs.

Since most of us agree that Russell is a coming man and most commonly the yardstick quoted is total domination of his team mate, particularly in Quali. Taking this and applying it to Lewis can you really think he would not be as sharp as George in Quali and therefore mark himself clearly as above average?  :confused:

I agree anyone jumping into the Merc has more of a chance of looking good, however we've often seen so called hot shoes or safe hands fail in a change to a front running car over the years. Just because we are used to both Mercs being at the sharp end doesn't mean it's easy and any driver can do it. - IMHO  ;)       
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2021, 05:17:28 PM »
Looks like the swap might be on before the end of the season if Wolff's criticism of Valtteri continues in this vein.

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/779095/Wolff_reveals_Bottas_error_that_derailed_Mercedes_French_hopes/
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Dare

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2021, 04:11:27 AM »
Thinking about Bottas I remember what was said in Grand
Prix about James Gardner's character. You can't blame him
for wanting to race.

Offline Monty

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2021, 09:34:51 AM »
Quote from: Dare on June 20, 2021, 01:58:09 AM
Quote from: Willy on June 19, 2021, 11:15:00 PM

would look average

Not sure I can go with that Dare. Lewis has only been beaten twice over a season by his team mate in his 14 completed seasons in F1, once in 2011 by Jenson & 2016 by Nico, and then not by much. To me that marks him out as an extraordinary F1 driver, never mind his 7 WDCs.

Since most of us agree that Russell is a coming man and most commonly the yardstick quoted is total domination of his team mate, particularly in Quali. Taking this and applying it to Lewis can you really think he would not be as sharp as George in Quali and therefore mark himself clearly as above average?  :confused:

I agree anyone jumping into the Merc has more of a chance of looking good, however we've often seen so called hot shoes or safe hands fail in a change to a front running car over the years. Just because we are used to both Mercs being at the sharp end doesn't mean it's easy and any driver can do it. - IMHO  ;)
A good driver cannot magically make a bad car competitive but a good car still needs a good driver to win and Hamilton has done that consistently through his career. I think it is also important to understand that Hamilton has been a very important part of making the Mercedes as good as it is.

Offline Willy

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2021, 08:36:36 PM »
George had not had time in the car before and this alone makes his performance noteworthy.
He will only get better with a teammate such as Lewis to mentor him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle