collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 376
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1 mock up what 2022 car will look like with show car  (Read 3201 times)

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
F1 mock up what 2022 car will look like with show car
« on: June 22, 2021, 04:42:13 PM »
First images released of how cars will basically look next season. Show car may be revealed at Silverstone for the British GP.

For me the front wing looks like it would be happier on a Dragon boat rather than a racing car.  :D

« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 05:07:03 PM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
Re: F1 mock up what 2022 car will look like with show car
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 05:08:07 PM »
Now they've issued more images of what 2022 cars will look like.

Offline jimclark

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 08:11:26 PM »
Oh lord I hope not......   :swoon:

That looks as silly as the dumb arse Indy cars of today......  ::)
"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 02:21:39 AM »
I realize aero is quite different now than back in the day, but it doesn't look like a ground effects car to me.
Lonny

Offline jimclark

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 02:36:03 AM »
Nuttin' to do with GE or not......

'Just looks plain arse silly.
"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 12:54:26 PM »
I realize aero is quite different now than back in the day, but it doesn't look like a ground effects car to me.

Think they may be allowing/re-introducing venturi tunnels under the cars to achieve some measure of ground effect, Lonny.

Presently the underfloor of an F1 car has to be completely flat with that flipping great plank stuck to it as well. Not sure if plank staying in some way on 2022 spec cars though.  :DntKnw: Probably is as it's more about regulating ride height than stopping aero. 

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 01:03:24 PM »
Yes the new cars are supposed to use ground effect, I don't understand the retention of the "Coke bottle" shape. Unless it's somehow required, using it would seem to really limit how much ground effect you could achieve.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2021, 01:35:20 PM »
Looking at the overhead view, the floorpan ahead of the rear axles is fairly rectangular & possibly part of some ground effects system underneath. There are also some strakes sticking out from under the front of the floorpan that could be ground effects related. The coke bottle shape of the upper body could be to help airflow around it.

The car looks like it's going to be as huge as the current cars. (See pictures below) The current cars have a wheelbase longer than a Ford Explorer Police Interceptor full size SUV! The new low sidewall wheel-tire package is going to take some getting use to.

The oddball color scheme doesn't help the picture, either. At least it's better then IndyCar or, even worse, Formula E.  :sick:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2021, 03:56:13 PM »

Lonny, here is some paras, ripped from the F1 website today, explaining how ground effects will work on 2022 cars. Seems venturi tunnels is the correct answer.

5. An aero feature from the 70s is back! (sort of)
F1’s Motorsports team began work on the 2022 car back in 2017 – and it soon became apparent that the key change required to ensure closer racing would be placing the aerodynamic emphasis on ground effect to create downforce.

Ground effect came to prominence in F1 in the late 1970s, with cars effectively designed in the shape of upside-down airplane wings, creating huge amounts of downforce as they were pushed into the track.

Full ground effect cars were subsequently outlawed at the end of 1982 – and the 2022 car is certainly not a return to that era (there are no side skirts for a start!). But the 2022 car does feature fully shaped underfloor tunnels, rather than the stepped floor used currently, which will allow teams to generate large amounts of efficient downforce through ground effect (the current floors also exploit ground effect, but not to the same extent).

The reason for the change is the benign quality of downforce generated in ground effect. Current cars’ barge boards and other bits of aerodynamic furniture are designed to send vortices under the floor to increase downforce. But when those vortices stop working – due, for example, to the influence of closely following another car – the performance drop-off is huge.

With the 2022 car, however, the underfloor downforce is better preserved within the tunnels, without the reliance on arrays of wake-sensitive, vortex-generating geometries – ergo better following, ergo closer racing!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2021, 06:57:04 PM »
Thanks John. If the person who wrote this thinks G/E cars of the past were upside down wings, he doesn't understand them. The Lotus 78 used wing shaped pods, none of the later cars did. They were venturi cars. I know G/E can be generated with a number of different shapes but the more volume in the chamber the more downforce. I just wonder if the FIA has mandated a volume restriction that affects the shape.
Lonny

Offline Andy B

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2021, 11:26:02 PM »
The 2022 cars when they form on the grid for race 1 will not resemble the cars being shown today the clever people F1 pays big bucks to will ensure that or at least I hope they do!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle