F1 News & Discussions > General F1 Discussion

2021 Austrian Grand Prix Heroes and Zeroes

(1/3) > >>

Jericoke:
Heroes
Max - He, RBR and Honda have become an unstoppable force.  Perfect race weekend without breaking a sweat.

Bottas - Earlier I wasn't sure if he was up to seeing himself as a teammate instead of a contender, but now I think he does see his place in the team.  Second place is all he can reasonably expect, and well done for getting it.

Norris - like RBR and Max, Norris and McLaren are in synch and producing solid results weekend after weekend.  I hope they can keep progressing

Ferrari - It's almost a running joke about how Ferrari was able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, but now they seem like a team that is capable of adapting and creating opportunity.  They're not back on top yet, but they're building towards it.

Zeroes
Perez - I don't think that Norris should have been penalized for the bump with Perez, but once the law was laid down, Perez really should have been more careful.

Hamilton - He was always the master of getting into the competition's head, forcing them to make mistakes. Now he's in his own head and he's making the mistakes.  Is he simply past his prime?  Is the Mercedes a bad fit for the 2021 rules?  Hopefully Hamilton can regain form and take the fight back to Max.

Ocon - did he have to surrender his driving skill to sign a contract?  The first lap crash may not have been his fault 100%, but he shouldn't have been scrapping with Haas and Alfa Romeos in the first place.

Honourable mention
Stewards for the race.  There were  a lot of penalties today.  Some of them were straight up infractions, pit speeding, crossing pit lane lines.  Some of them were for aggressive driving.  I don't necessarily agree with the penalties issued for driving, but they were 1) Consistent and 2) Issued quickly.  Having the standards enforced fairly for all, and quickly so everyone knows what's expected is fantastic, and deserves recognition.

Willy:
Heros
I can agree with all Jeri said so no need to repeat it all.

Russell
Best start in a long time and after a pitstop managed to claw his way to 10th until Alonso hunted him down in the last few laps. To bad to not get some points for Williams.

Zeros
Stewards
The two pit lane entry infractions given to Tsunoda were over the top in my mind. He was not entering out of control or unsafely, he had his wheels touch the line both times as was given 2, 5-second penalties.

Perez
He managed to be forced off by Lando early on and then he did the same twice to other drivers. He obviously was angry and let it come out in his driving.  That was just irresponsible and dangerous.

Merc
I get it that Red Bull and Macca have made strides forward in speed and downforce but to not be able to respond fast to them is surprising. I hope the folks at the shop are finding a way to give Lewis what he needs.  I don't think Lewis has hit his "best before" date yet and neither do Merc with the new two-year contract.

Willy:
Oh, one other item that I noticed that I should mention.
I would hate to be a breathing-challenged person sitting anywhere in the same stands with the Max horde as they continuously lit orange smoke sticks.
Very bad for anyone who might have asthma or any respiratory issues.
In fact just bad for the environment and air quality in general.

Ian:
As with most I thought the penalty on Lando was totally wrong, Perez was too wide and IMHO Perez only had himself to blame.

rmassart:
I'm thinking that come the end of the season, it will be that magic brake button which lost Hamilton the championship. At the moment I can see him clawing back twenty, twenty five points. But the thirty odd he is trailing is a challenge too far at the moment.

However if the Mercedes strategy of focusing on next year's car due to budget constraints pays off, we might be in for another 7 years of Mercedes dominance after this brief interlude!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version