collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 273
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 2021 Austrian Grand Prix Heroes and Zeroes  (Read 1328 times)

Offline Jericoke

2021 Austrian Grand Prix Heroes and Zeroes
« on: July 04, 2021, 04:27:07 PM »
Heroes
Max - He, RBR and Honda have become an unstoppable force.  Perfect race weekend without breaking a sweat.

Bottas - Earlier I wasn't sure if he was up to seeing himself as a teammate instead of a contender, but now I think he does see his place in the team.  Second place is all he can reasonably expect, and well done for getting it.

Norris - like RBR and Max, Norris and McLaren are in synch and producing solid results weekend after weekend.  I hope they can keep progressing

Ferrari - It's almost a running joke about how Ferrari was able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, but now they seem like a team that is capable of adapting and creating opportunity.  They're not back on top yet, but they're building towards it.

Zeroes
Perez - I don't think that Norris should have been penalized for the bump with Perez, but once the law was laid down, Perez really should have been more careful.

Hamilton - He was always the master of getting into the competition's head, forcing them to make mistakes. Now he's in his own head and he's making the mistakes.  Is he simply past his prime?  Is the Mercedes a bad fit for the 2021 rules?  Hopefully Hamilton can regain form and take the fight back to Max.

Ocon - did he have to surrender his driving skill to sign a contract?  The first lap crash may not have been his fault 100%, but he shouldn't have been scrapping with Haas and Alfa Romeos in the first place.

Honourable mention
Stewards for the race.  There were  a lot of penalties today.  Some of them were straight up infractions, pit speeding, crossing pit lane lines.  Some of them were for aggressive driving.  I don't necessarily agree with the penalties issued for driving, but they were 1) Consistent and 2) Issued quickly.  Having the standards enforced fairly for all, and quickly so everyone knows what's expected is fantastic, and deserves recognition.

Offline Willy

Re: 2021 Austrian Grand Prix Heroes and Zeroes
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 07:39:24 PM »
Heros
I can agree with all Jeri said so no need to repeat it all.

Russell
Best start in a long time and after a pitstop managed to claw his way to 10th until Alonso hunted him down in the last few laps. To bad to not get some points for Williams.

Zeros
Stewards
The two pit lane entry infractions given to Tsunoda were over the top in my mind. He was not entering out of control or unsafely, he had his wheels touch the line both times as was given 2, 5-second penalties.

Perez
He managed to be forced off by Lando early on and then he did the same twice to other drivers. He obviously was angry and let it come out in his driving.  That was just irresponsible and dangerous.

Merc
I get it that Red Bull and Macca have made strides forward in speed and downforce but to not be able to respond fast to them is surprising. I hope the folks at the shop are finding a way to give Lewis what he needs.  I don't think Lewis has hit his "best before" date yet and neither do Merc with the new two-year contract.

Offline Willy

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 07:44:39 PM »
Oh, one other item that I noticed that I should mention.
I would hate to be a breathing-challenged person sitting anywhere in the same stands with the Max horde as they continuously lit orange smoke sticks.
Very bad for anyone who might have asthma or any respiratory issues.
In fact just bad for the environment and air quality in general.

Offline Ian

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 08:44:19 PM »
As with most I thought the penalty on Lando was totally wrong, Perez was too wide and IMHO Perez only had himself to blame.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline rmassart

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 09:02:19 PM »
I'm thinking that come the end of the season, it will be that magic brake button which lost Hamilton the championship. At the moment I can see him clawing back twenty, twenty five points. But the thirty odd he is trailing is a challenge too far at the moment.

However if the Mercedes strategy of focusing on next year's car due to budget constraints pays off, we might be in for another 7 years of Mercedes dominance after this brief interlude!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 12:58:03 AM »
OK I get there is a rule (much too vague in my opinion) about leaving a driver room when he's alongside. That said can someone explain why Norris forcing Perez into the gravel is a penalty (as well as Perez' infractions later) but Max forcing Lewis off the track at Imola is not? Does the rule only apply to the outside of the track? Is Max exempt because F1 wants someone besides Lewis to win the WDC? This is why we need permanent stewards, not a new group at each race.
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 04:32:41 AM »
Heroes

Verstappen

Beautifully clean conversion of pole to victory, with fastest lap. Welcome to the Grand Chelem club, Max.

Russell

That Williams so nearly scored points, thanks to George's qualifying skill and savviness in which battles were and were not possible for him. Fernando Alonso was very impressed, and he's not a man easily impressed.

Norris

OK, the Perez incident was a bit messy (5-second penalty was within the range established by precedent but a tad strict), but apart from that Lando maximised the McLaren in his hands utterly. First win might be a while off, but that's because the car hasn't quite caught up with Lando's capabilities yet.

Zeroes

The people letting off orange smoke through the race

I wouldn't like to be in the Orange Army grandstand and attempt to see anything whatsoever - at times the track was nearly obscured by bright smoke. Maybe that's why the Red Bull grandstand is always relatively cheap at tracks which have just the one...

Stewards

This is specifically about the post-race phase, where the stewards ordered 8 drivers to attend for a double-waved-yellow flag issue on the last lap. The trouble is, five of those drivers were automatically exonerated due to the 0.5-seconds-per-mini-sector rule for double-waved yellow flags, and despite the best efforts of the Orange Army, the area was not obscured sufficiently for hidden hazards to be possible (which would have allowed stewards to officially require more from the drivers). Realistically only 4 of the 8 drivers needed to be summoned - Mazepin and Latifi (who were the only drivers eventually penalised), Perez (who didn't quite slow down enough to comply with the strict rule, but is suspected to have been partway through the mini-sector when the yellow flag was out, thus excused after analysis - this is why stewarding meetings of this type exist) and Sainz (complied with the rule but nearly lost the back of his car in the process, something that shouldn't happen and justifies an informal reprimand even if the stewards aren't empowered to give an actual punishment for such conduct). They delayed Ricciardo, Leclerc, Gasly and Giovanazzi from doing their debriefs for something their computers should have told them was a waste of everyone's time to pursue.

Part of the reason the 0.5-second double-waved-yellow flag rule exists is to provide consistency and enable drivers to be confident of what is expected of them. Another part is to make the stewards' lives easier, so they can focus on things like the Raikkonen-Vettel collision and maybe get home in time for tea! When the FIA's trying to look out for you, in a way that has no negative consequences for you or your role, take the hint and let them!

Raikkonen

I think Kimi should have been parked this race. He was extremely lucky not to pick up a track limits penalty and was showing some worryingly poor driving even by mid-race (drifting into the path of other cars). It was clear he was going to be in a crash of some sort and was mostly surprised he lasted until the final lap. (While I do think that was Kimi's fault, I think he shouldn't be told off for shouting at his engineer because the information the engineer missed was vital to Kimi's strategy). If I were Kimi's boss, I'd send him for a health screening as a precautionary measure, because this is not the late-career Kimi I recognise.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Monty

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2021, 09:38:54 AM »
It is well known that I do not like Verstappen, but I accept he had a really good weekend. But why does he have to be such an arrogant idiot. When he loses we get loads of swearing and excuses and when he wins he is condescending and self-congratulatory.

Then the stewards!!! Where is the consistency? I complained on here about Verstappen running people off the track on several occassions (the worst one being when Hamilton was clearly in front and Verstappen pushed him off and went over the kerbs himself) - the stewards didn't penalise him and many of you supported him. However, this weekend Norris was always ahead and never exceeded the track himself but got a time penalty and points on his licence. Frankly, it is ludicrous!
Obviously once this precedence was set they had no choice with the much more dangerous Leclerc and Perez incidents.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 03:21:43 PM »
A special cheer to long time GPW member LoNeR4EvA. after a long absence, he returned to the chat Room Sunday. Welcome back, LoN!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2021, 11:39:16 AM »
Welcome back, LoNeR4EvA!
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2021, 02:48:10 PM »
An extra cheer for Valtteri Bottas. Austria was his 61st F1 podium finish, moving him ahead of Nelson Piquet for 10th on the all-time list of most career podium finishes for a driver in Formula 1.  :good:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle