collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 388
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: No Aussie GP  (Read 4410 times)

Offline Andy B

No Aussie GP
« on: July 06, 2021, 06:13:08 AM »
Announced today in Aussie the 2021 GP is off due to the current pandemic.
I cannot say that I am surprised several states here are struggling to become COVID free and I should have been home on the 1st and now not flying till the 10th.

Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: No Aussie GP
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 11:55:05 AM »
Australia's done a better job than the UK of managing COVID, and if keeping F1 out helps it to keep secure until mass vaccination is possible, then I approve.

A lot of F1 staff are having severe problems already with keeping F1's chosen schedule, so keeping the current schedule of 23 races wouldn be a bad idea. The trouble is that so many of F1's races are in doubt that due to the 15-race TV contract, it may have to. I give you:

- All the EU races after Hungary [Belgium, Netherlands, Italy, any post-July substitution in the EU] - low-to-medium risk (the EU is threatening to treat the UK's actions as deliberate breach of the agreement made in November, which would entitle it to prevent British movement in the EU altogether. Given the UK's response and its COVID conduct, the risk increases the further into the season we go).

- Turkey - high-risk - UK red list prevents people from going there.

- Japan - high-risk - everything except the Olympics is in the process of being cancelled, as far as sporting competition goes.

- United States - medium-risk - the UK government has the right to put regions on the red list, not just countries, and Texas isn't making much progress towards vaccination-based immunity, rendering it vulnerable to, among other places...

- Mexico - high-risk - COVID is rife and it is unlikely the situation will be resolved in time.

- Brazil - high-risk - ditto

- Bahrain [potentially two races as it's one of the candidates for replacement] - high-risk - UK red list

- UAE [Abu Dhabi] - high-risk - UK red list

That's 6 races at high risk of not happening, at least 7-8 at medium risk of not happening and 10 at some risk of not occurring, out of 14 - not counting races unexpectedly lost to the Delta variant (I'd chalked Australia up as one, because losing the previous triple-header would have given time for quarantine). Note that we need another 6 races, out of 14, to meet TV obligations. Which Liberty swore it would provide. (It also told investors it would definitely get at least 20 races this season, which would require a miracle at this point).

So, despite the fact that the mechanics are struggling with the workload already (according to some of the drivers and journalists), expect Liberty to continue to try to shoehorn as many races as possible into the 2021 calendar to meet its own ends.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 02:04:00 PM »
Alia I see you're outlining a worst case scenario, however if F1 can get all races in Europe (incl Russia) done by end Sept then they will satisfy the TV contracts. 

I've not seen, or heard, any rumblings about Hungary, Belgium, Netherlands, Italy or Russia not allowing races to go ahead - has anyone else? In fact if Max is still top, or near top, and the EU tries to kill the Dutch GP I feel there may be an insurrection, similar to mass arrival at Capital hill in US, at Brussels base of EU Commission.  ;)

Hard to think that the Middle East back to back races at end of season wont happen, if British & Italian teams have to quarantine after, in home countries, it will be of no account really as it's season end.

Similar could happen with US & Mexico so long as border between 2 countries not shut, there'd be time to quarantine before the mid East races.

That'll make 17 races (or 19 if N America is on), anymore will be a bonus. Shareholders expecting 20 will happily accept 17 with such worldwide border and quarantine regulations this year.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 09:14:51 AM »
I think most countries would do well controlling Covid but as an example when the NSW lockdown started a group of Aussies decided to have a lockdown party and they are now contributing to the Covid numbers.
While people fail to comply with the rules then getting it under control anywhere is an issue.
I'm flying Darwin to Melbourne in the early hours of Saturday and by the end of the day hope to be back in NZ but to do this I have had to fill out documentation to prove I'm safe to travel. I have had one Covid test which was negative and will be having a Pre-departure test tomorrow to comply with NZ Gov regulations too.
If this is how the airlines and countries will be then traveling abroad will not be an easy process anymore.
Oh! I should have been home on the 1st July.

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 11:35:41 AM »
Alia I see you're outlining a worst case scenario, however if F1 can get all races in Europe (incl Russia) done by end Sept then they will satisfy the TV contracts. 

I've not seen, or heard, any rumblings about Hungary, Belgium, Netherlands, Italy or Russia not allowing races to go ahead - has anyone else? In fact if Max is still top, or near top, and the EU tries to kill the Dutch GP I feel there may be an insurrection, similar to mass arrival at Capital hill in US, at Brussels base of EU Commission.  ;)

Hard to think that the Middle East back to back races at end of season wont happen, if British & Italian teams have to quarantine after, in home countries, it will be of no account really as it's season end.

Similar could happen with US & Mexico so long as border between 2 countries not shut, there'd be time to quarantine before the mid East races.

That'll make 17 races (or 19 if N America is on), anymore will be a bonus. Shareholders expecting 20 will happily accept 17 with such worldwide border and quarantine regulations this year.

That's because it's the EU doing the rumbling, rather than consituent countries. (Note that there is not cross-EU consensus, as the German and Greek positions demonstrate, hence why the risk is low-to-medium and not high). If the EU requires British people to be blocked, then all the individual venues can do is comply - but the EU would have to convince the countries to put in the ban before it can happen in the first place.

Turkey would require the UK to actively change its position in order to happen. At this stage, the other proposed European races would not. Same applies to Brazil, Bahrain and UAE (Saudi Arabia, on the other hand, is a place to which British people can travel for work). By "not allowed", I mean that unless it's for "essential purposes" (elite sports don't count even though they're exempt from some other aspects of the UK COVID law), UK people travelling to a red list country is illegal, punishable by fines of up to £10,000 each - and insurance for non-essential purposes (again, elite sport is deemed non-essential) doesn't cover red list, which means the UK teams couldn't comply with the FIA requirement to be insured for anything that might go wrong at the track. (I think the Italian teams could get insurance but might face legal consequences on their return, depending on whether the FIA felt it was worth running the championship round for 3 teams - Alfa Romeo, being Swiss, I think is free to go where it wants if it quarantines afterwards).

That's why Turkey got dropped when the UK put it on its red list. That's why it's likely to get dropped again.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Willy

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 08:13:36 PM »
Gee, if it's any help I have had both shots now?

Offline rmassart

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 06:32:57 AM »
If the EU requires British people to be blocked, then all the individual venues can do is comply - but the EU would have to convince the countries to put in the ban before it can happen in the first place.

The EU doesn't have the authority to require British people to be blocked. It would have to be done by consensus and I don't see that happening. The tourist dependent countries are trying to save as much of the tourist season as they can, and the British are a huge part of that.

I think the European season is safe as long as the increase in cases doesn't lead to a surge in deaths.  So far whilst the cases are sky rocketing again, deaths are not. Hopefully the vaccines ensure this remains the case.

Offline Dare

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 02:20:59 PM »
Many in the US won't get the shot because of
one person[no name mentioned] made it political
even though he secretly was vaccinated back in January.
A golden role model

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2021, 03:10:15 PM »
Between that & the arrival of the Delta variant, some states are having their highest Covid hospitalization numbers of the pandemic.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2021, 12:02:42 AM »
If the EU requires British people to be blocked, then all the individual venues can do is comply - but the EU would have to convince the countries to put in the ban before it can happen in the first place.

The EU doesn't have the authority to require British people to be blocked. It would have to be done by consensus and I don't see that happening. The tourist dependent countries are trying to save as much of the tourist season as they can, and the British are a huge part of that.

The EU does have that authority if it believes the trade agreement between itself and Britain has been breached - in fact, it's required to do so unless something less can be negotiated and agreed by consensus. The higher UK COVID rates get, the more impetus certain countries (mentioning no names, Germany) have to persuade those who assess such things that such a breach happened. (Remember, much of the EU is far less vaccinated than the UK).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2021, 10:28:26 PM »
Having just returned from Darwin via Melbourne, I only transited through the airport, the documentation is huge and important we needed a permit to enter Victoria, a permit to enter NZ, to be an NZ citizen, have had a Covid test negative within 72 hours of flying and in airports of which there were three we had all docs checked and temperatures taken.
It was a relief to get through and discovering our docs were all correct but it takes time so Melbourne deciding to cancel the GP to protect the populace is a wise move by them. We were on a 10 day trip which took 21 due to lockdowns and boarder closures.
Keep safe people!

Offline Andy B

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2021, 12:40:51 AM »
It has just been announced that the Delta Variant has jumped the NSW/Victoria boarder and is now in Melbourne so it seems to justify the cancellation of the F1 and Moto GP's.
Willy it was interesting that going through the whole process of documentation and Covid testing we were not once asked if we had been vaccinated, which we have had both Pfizer jabs, so being vaccinated counts for little when travelling.

Keep safe everyone.

Offline Willy

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2021, 06:59:45 PM »
Andy, that surprises me as we are being asked to be able to prove we are vaccinated if we are questioned by the Police.  Not sure why they would ask unless there are random spot-checks planned.

Offline Dare

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2021, 11:25:34 PM »
Most business here have a sign saying you don't have to
wear a mask if your fully vaccinated. Problem is no one ever
ask for proof you've been jabbed
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Andy B

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2021, 04:27:14 AM »
Even if you are vaccinated please wear a mask when required the vaccine will stop you from becoming very ill but it'll not stop you from getting Covid.

Keep safe people and do the right thing.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle