collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 345
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: No Aussie GP  (Read 4419 times)

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: No Aussie GP
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2021, 10:38:31 AM »
Legally, everyone (vaccinated or not) is required to wear masks indoors in public places until Monday. In practise, most people stopped doing it here a couple of weeks ago when the government first mooted that change.

Result? Cases are up a lot (2.6% positivity in my local area and rising) and we're starting to get an increase in hospitalisations despite 2/3 of adults being vaccinated. It's worrying because we've had indications that if the hospitalisations go up much more, non-urgent surgeries and appointments will be delayed/cancelled - and this is before any infections from the Euro 2020 final (which I am sure some people in my area attended in person and others gathered maskless in local pubs) and the British Grand Prix (another event with over 100,000 likely-maskless people in attendance) have revealed themselves.

At this rate, UK will be in lockdown #4 by the end of next month, whether the government wants that or not.

You will not be surprised to hear, given all that, that I expect to wear a mask when outside the house for the foreseeable future (probably until next spring, given the patterns so far).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2021, 10:43:44 PM »
Melbourne now has eight community cases of the Delta variant and are talking of a short lockdown which would I expect get extended.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline rmassart

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2021, 06:12:25 AM »
Result? Cases are up a lot (2.6% positivity in my local area and rising) and we're starting to get an increase in hospitalisations despite 2/3 of adults being vaccinated. It's worrying because we've had indications that if the hospitalisations go up much more, non-urgent surgeries and appointments will be delayed/cancelled - and this is before any infections from the Euro 2020 final (which I am sure some people in my area attended in person and others gathered maskless in local pubs) and the British Grand Prix (another event with over 100,000 likely-maskless people in attendance) have revealed themselves.

Yeah, the problem is that with 2/3 of the adult population vaccinated it still leaves millions unvaccinated. That's plenty of hosts for the virus to spread through. Plus it seems the virus will spread through vaccinated hosts as well, they just won't get so ill.

As for Wembley stadium, the place looked packed and not a mask in site, except on the players bench! It's like we haven't just lived through 18 months of a deadly air borne virus!!!

If there is any consolation for the UK, we're making the same mistakes in continental Europe  :(  I feel we're living in a period where we elect leaders who want reality to adapt to their political aims and not the other way round...

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2021, 10:29:48 AM »
You can look at the UK to see where 5 years of that gets you. (I'm going to be charitable and assume David Cameron's Conservatives weren't intentionally wanting reality to adapt to their political aims, because I think every politician accidentally does it to some extent. The art is doing it little enough that reality can in fact accommodate the aim).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2021, 01:22:38 PM »
You can look at the UK to see where 5 years of that gets you. (I'm going to be charitable and assume David Cameron's Conservatives weren't intentionally wanting reality to adapt to their political aims, because I think every politician accidentally does it to some extent. The art is doing it little enough that reality can in fact accommodate the aim).

If only politicians, especially leaders, actually knew what reality looks like for most of us it'd be a start Alia.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2021, 02:41:08 PM »
In spite of the arrival of Delta & rising hospitalization rates, our state legislature here in Ohio just voted that schools & businesses can't require Covid vaccinations, not even hospitals.  :confused:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2021, 03:38:53 PM »
Only way to reach herd immunity in the US is for
all the unvaccinated morons to catch Covid  and
pass to a better place.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2021, 04:05:40 PM »
pass to a better place.

Steady on Dare I can feel your blood pressure rising from over here. :tease:

The good fortune for all of us is that covid takes to Morpheus just a small percentage of all who catch it.
Trouble is that punches a big hole in your aspirations Dare.   :D 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline rmassart

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2021, 06:37:35 PM »
The good fortune for all of us is that covid takes to Morpheus just a small percentage of all who catch it.

This is a clever one. It keeps it's hosts alive. This gives it time to evolve and mutate to spread more easily. The really big fear is that it becomes a regular virus like the flu which we can't fully defeat, because it keeps on mutating. Probably that's already happened.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2021, 07:04:06 PM »
In spite of the arrival of Delta & rising hospitalization rates, our state legislature here in Ohio just voted that schools & businesses can't require Covid vaccinations, not even hospitals.  :confused:

2 districts in Arizona were going to require unvaxxed students to quarantine before coming back, and our crooked governor told them absolutely not. None of the right wingers seem to realize that Trump and everyone in his circle were among the first to be vaccinated.
Lonny

Offline Andy B

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2021, 11:14:28 PM »
There will be a third booster jab this year in some places and be ready for annual Covid jab along with your Flu jab.
I had an interesting conversation with an acquaintance who stated that he had never been vaccinated for anything but had had the Covid vaccine as "Want to travel" when asked why he had not had other vaccines he said he didn't know what was in them.
I worked in the production of bulk pharmaceuticals for over 30 years and said to him if I told what is used to make a drug would it make any difference to which he replied "maybe". So I did and he said he had no idea that was what happened I also asked him why he had not had polo, measles, mumps and many other diseases which is through others being vaccinated and reducing the risk to minimal.
I'll get off my soap box now!  :crazy:

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2021, 09:17:41 AM »
In fairness, a lot of people I know only learned how to find out vaccine ingredients when checking the COVID-19 one (though none of them had avoided vaccines as a result of that ignorance - they'd simply gone along with vaccination efforts without reading the ingredients lists and without research).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2021, 01:14:14 PM »
pass to a better place.

Around here, Covid has been jokingly referred to as "voluntary eugenics." 
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2021, 06:46:56 PM »
 :DD :DD
Lonny

Offline Andy B

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2021, 12:01:20 AM »
Melbourne now in lockdown again!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle