F1 News & Discussions > General F1 Discussion

Hydrogen anyone?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Alianora La Canta:
The problem with hydrogen is that up to this point, the cleanest way of getting energy out of it is to simply put it into the general electricity grid and then use standard electrical methods to get the resulting energy into the vehicle - not to put it in a vehicle directly. While there is still research going on into making directly fuelling with hydrogen clean enough to satisfy a reasonably-read environmentalist, it may be a few years before any motorsport series can justify direct hydrogen as a fuel source for their car.

Monty:
Ali is of course correct but the key part of the statement is "up to this point".
Hydrogen can now be made from renewable sources and has the potential to be a truly 'clean' fuel. However, again 'at this point' the most natural way of using hydrogen is with fuel cells so the car remains basically electric.
I am still hoping for an ICE solution. Back in 2007 I went in a Mazda RX8 hydrogen car. It screamed just like the petrol version - it was wonderful. The two main problems were, it consumed Hydrogen so fast it had limited range and because it was a 'hot burn' engine it still produced NOX so needed catalytic converters. I believe Mazda have continued to develop hydrogen rotary engines and have improved efficiency plus reduced NOX emissions so there could still be a future.

Andy B:
Development is going on so there must be some milage in it!
Sorry for the pun!!  :D

https://www.racecar-engineering.com/articles/toyota-debuts-hydrogen-fuelled-internal-combustion-race-engine/

Monty:
Interesting reading - thanks for posting

John S:
Hey Andy maybe I'm wrong and F1 is just the series to push this tech faster. Good read thanks for sharing.  :good:

Oh wait a minute though Toyota never cut the mustard & gave up on F1 years ago.  :D  :DD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version