collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 410
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Should F1 cars that need repair start from Pitlane after red flag?  (Read 1308 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
We've all seen the great tumultuous fuss around Lewis lucking into a full 25 points over his title rival and the wringing of hands accompanied by expletives uttered about Stewards not being able to take account of consequences after incidents/shunts/accidents.

Well how about making any car that chooses repair, apart from tyre change, must start from pit lane for a standing re-start, or line up at the back of the grid for a rolling re-start -  so as not to lose a lap.

Teams who have to repair will have no option, but some teams often change damaged parts for new but would not have pitted as it's not race ending/limiting damage.

Yeah I know there will be innocent losers, but hey isn't the whole race always unpredictable and about how chips may fall. Anyway these so called innocent losers more often not are on the receiving end of punctures from debris, as tyre changes will not be regarded a repair I reckon few will be disadvantaged.

Would certainly have solved the dilemma created by the Lewis/Max shunt over severity of penalty.

Also might give us spicier races if faster cars are coming through from the back. What does anyone else think?

P.S. Anyone penalized for causing the red flag and needing repairs gets to start last of all.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 07:35:50 PM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

Re: Should F1 cars that need repair start from Pitlane after red flag?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 01:52:21 PM »
There was a similar red flag situation at the NASCAR race in New Hampshire later that day. Several of the lead cars were badly damaged in the opening laps when the officials failed to throw a caution flag for a rain storm. The teams were barred from making any repairs to the cars under the red flag. Personally, I don't care for that system at all, but it's something else to consider.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Andy B

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 10:29:15 PM »
With LH requiring a new rim the tyre changes would have covered that so nothing would have changed.
I have always found it a bit odd that repairs could be made under a red flag what happened to Park Ferme?
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 11:39:44 AM »
With LH requiring a new rim the tyre changes would have covered that so nothing would have changed.
I have always found it a bit odd that repairs could be made under a red flag what happened to Park Ferme?

If it was just the rim Andy why has Wolff stated that the car would have been retired until the red flag meant they could repair it? :confused:

They could've just pitted Hammy under safety car and put new wheels on, if that's all it took.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 01:38:25 PM »
If it was just the rim Andy why has Wolff stated that the car would have been retired until the red flag meant they could repair it? :confused:

Because he's Toto Wolff.  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 01:49:00 PM »
I think that cars should be able to repaired, in a 'like for like' format, without penalty.

Otherwise there is a risk of a damaged car restarting with a very real risk of spreading debris, causing another crash due to catastrophic failure, or generally being a hazard due to lower speed than following cars.

Ideally such cars would be black flagged, but the stewards won't always be able to tell which cars are at risk by a visual inspection of a static car.

It also means that teams will take that risk.  Maybe the damaged car can hold onto a points paying position, where's the advantage of dropping to the back?

I just don't see how discouraging repairs during a red flag makes the sport safer.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 10:18:38 PM »

They could've just pitted Hammy under safety car and put new wheels on, if that's all it took.

I was just going by what Mercedes said, I wouldn't know but do they tell us everything?
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 08:23:21 PM »

Edit: what happened here? My reply seems to have gone missing...

The reply was: Because you can't check that it's nothing worse, or if you do check, you lose too much time for it to be worth letting the car back out.

(Which is a good reason to allow repairs under the red flag - barring them means teams will skip the checks if they think there's any chance the car might be sound, resulting in dangerous situations on the restart).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 11:52:38 PM by Alianora La Canta »
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle