collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 349
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Suzuka Cancelled  (Read 4657 times)

Offline cosworth151

Suzuka Cancelled
« on: August 18, 2021, 01:13:30 PM »
I received a push message on my phone a few minutes ago that the 2021 Grand Prix of Japan has been cancelled due to Covid. I wasn't surprised.

A statement from Formula 1 read: "Following ongoing discussions with the promoter and authorities in Japan the decision has been taken by the Japanese government to cancel the race this season due to ongoing complexities of the pandemic in the country.

"Formula 1 is now working on the details of the revised calendar and will announce the final details in the coming weeks."

I doubt it will be the last cancellation. With the governor of Texas taking anyone who requires masks to court, I think Austin is on pretty shaky ground, too.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.formula-1-confirms-2021-japanese-grand-prix-has-been-cancelled.2Cn8r5e6lIm00IW984WnfW.html

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

Re: Suzuka Cancelled
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 10:28:29 PM »
I received a push message on my phone a few minutes ago that the 2021 Grand Prix of Japan has been cancelled due to Covid. I wasn't surprised.

A statement from Formula 1 read: "Following ongoing discussions with the promoter and authorities in Japan the decision has been taken by the Japanese government to cancel the race this season due to ongoing complexities of the pandemic in the country.

"Formula 1 is now working on the details of the revised calendar and will announce the final details in the coming weeks."

I doubt it will be the last cancellation. With the governor of Texas taking anyone who requires masks to court, I think Austin is on pretty shaky ground, too.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.formula-1-confirms-2021-japanese-grand-prix-has-been-cancelled.2Cn8r5e6lIm00IW984WnfW.html

Sad to see races go, but glad to see people taking the pandemic seriously.

I'd expect to see the American GP cancelled... but that means someone in Texas admitting there's a problem.  (Glad we didn't have the Miami GP this year, no way they'd agree to cancel an event in Florida)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 10:30:33 PM »
I think you are right Jeri I doubt we'll have a 23 race season, I thought it too long anyhow!

Keep safe people.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline rmassart

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 08:05:21 AM »
Interestingly, there's an additional rule I didn't know about, as stated on autosport, https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/how-many-races-does-formula-1-need-to-declare-a-season-4983325/4983325/:

Article 2.4.3.b.i states that in order to qualify as a world championship, the calendar "must include Competitions taking place on at least three continents during the same season."

Currently all races on the other side of the Atlantic are looking shaky, given the Covid rates there. Which would leave only 2 continents. Maybe Canada could jump in? Do they have winter tires in F1?  :DD

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 01:08:39 PM »
All they really need is tire chains, as Max shows in this vid. Was this a secret test for a late year visit to Montreal?  ;)

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 02:30:00 PM »
Interestingly, there's an additional rule I didn't know about, as stated on autosport, https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/how-many-races-does-formula-1-need-to-declare-a-season-4983325/4983325/:

Article 2.4.3.b.i states that in order to qualify as a world championship, the calendar "must include Competitions taking place on at least three continents during the same season."

Currently all races on the other side of the Atlantic are looking shaky, given the Covid rates there. Which would leave only 2 continents. Maybe Canada could jump in? Do they have winter tires in F1?  :DD

Given that Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is a public space most of the year and not a full time race track, I doubt a race can be staged there.

However Canada has the Canadian Tire Motorplex, which previously hosted the Canadian GP when the track was called Mosport. I don't think it's up to snuff for modern F1, but it is a full time race track near Toronto that could be used.

The third track that has held the Canadian Grand Prix is another track near Montreal called Mont Tremblant. It's a full time track but is currently for sale by the owner... Lawrence Stroll.  I don't know if it could host an F1 event from an FIA point of view, but I suspect it could be ready from a logistical point of view.

(As for getting around the three continents issue, what about staging a dummy race where the teams agree not to appear at... So it's run but no one is actually there and no points are awarded?  Normally the FIA would disqualify such teams, but surely some pretext could be made, if anyone really wanted to push the point)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2021, 05:00:31 PM »
At the moment, there's a standing instruction from the FIA that any rule that would have been complied with but for COVID will be treated as complied with for series validation purposes, unless the FIA thinks that series is deliberately putting itself into noncompliance and using COVID as an excuse.

The FIA will consider F1 to have done its best effort to comply with the 3 continent rule if F1 doesn't cancel anything prematurely or refuse a reasonable offer for an unreasonable excuse (defined generously). F1 still needs one non-European race to make its TV contract (given that Turkey's still on the UK red list), but with 4 such locations still not redlisted yet, at least one of them is likely to come through.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 05:03:00 PM by Alianora La Canta »
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2021, 10:49:58 PM »
The strange world we currently live in! :crazy:
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2021, 11:13:31 PM »
Heads-up: Texas is reporting some ICUs are full (322 beds available across the entire state) and some people needing intensive care are having to be sent to neighbouring states. This does not seem compatible with hosting a Grand Prix, though given the Texas governor has tested positive for COVID-19, it may be a couple of weeks before we get a definite answer.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Dare

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2021, 11:19:08 PM »
Heads-up: Texas is reporting some ICUs are full (322 beds available across the entire state) and some people needing intensive care are having to be sent to neighbouring states. This does not seem compatible with hosting a Grand Prix, though given the Texas governor has tested positive for COVID-19, it may be a couple of weeks before we get a definite answer.

The Governor's of Texas and Florida could come down with the
plaque and they'd act like it was a slight cold
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2021, 01:14:03 PM »
Here in the States, we now refer to Florida & Texas as our national petri dishes.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2021, 11:37:43 PM »

I don't know who gets to cancel the race, but Texas is acting like everything is business as usual. They are enacting laws that make anti-covid measures ILLEGAL

They can't cancel the race unless a non Texan has the authority to do so.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2021, 01:21:29 PM »
This level of common sense is why drug makers here in the States have to include this warning in all of their adverts: "Do not take this product if you're allergic to it."  :confused:
― Bob Dylan

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2021, 01:50:41 PM »

I don't know who gets to cancel the race, but Texas is acting like everything is business as usual. They are enacting laws that make anti-covid measures ILLEGAL

They can't cancel the race unless a non Texan has the authority to do so.

The UK government effectively can, by redlisting Texas (that bars any non-essential British person from entering Texas, unless they do a 10-day hotel quarantine afterwards at the traveller's expense). After public pressure, the amber watchlist has been banned, meaning there will no longer be any warning if the USA or any region thereof is going to be redlisted. In practise, I think it is more likely the UK will at least try to restrict by region rather than bar the whole USA in the first instance, though nothing will happen until the UK has finished evacuating the bulk of its people from Afghanistan. Anything else that results in the USA being declared appropriate for essential travel only would also work, or insurers refusing to cover against COVID treatment in the USA - either of which could happen if Texas remains out of ICU beds long enough.

The USA could ban European travel to the USA again, which is the next-most-likely option (although it wouldn't happen if only Texas was affected; it would have to be overwhelming most states in the contiguous USA before the federal level intervened).

If the governor returns from "plague", he might decide to change his mind. It has happened to some politicians (though not all of them were suitably enlightened, and the USA has not cornered the market for that sort of thing).

Also, the UK requires messages on all medicines telling people not to take substances to which they are allergic. This is as much for the doctors as the patients.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Willy

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2021, 07:44:00 PM »
I have been surprised that Euro tracks have allowed spectators back in the stands. Certain regions are handling covid well and they must feel it is okay to do so. The USA on the other hand, is a bit of a mess, to put it mildly, and for the FIA to allow the F1 teams to enter anywhere in that country is just plain foolish.
Even if no fans are allowed in person, the teams still interact with possible covid carriers from the moment they enter the airports until they leave. Being double vaxxed is no certainty that will not get it.
Here in Canada the restrictions are lessening in certain provinces but to completely open the borders and airports to all international travel is dangerous and shows a rank disregard for the citizen's safety.
I truly enjoy F1 but we should not be racing during this pandemic. Period.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle