F1 News & Discussions > General F1 Discussion

Suzuka Cancelled

(1/7) > >>

cosworth151:
I received a push message on my phone a few minutes ago that the 2021 Grand Prix of Japan has been cancelled due to Covid. I wasn't surprised.

A statement from Formula 1 read: "Following ongoing discussions with the promoter and authorities in Japan the decision has been taken by the Japanese government to cancel the race this season due to ongoing complexities of the pandemic in the country.

"Formula 1 is now working on the details of the revised calendar and will announce the final details in the coming weeks."

I doubt it will be the last cancellation. With the governor of Texas taking anyone who requires masks to court, I think Austin is on pretty shaky ground, too.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.formula-1-confirms-2021-japanese-grand-prix-has-been-cancelled.2Cn8r5e6lIm00IW984WnfW.html

Jericoke:

--- Quote from: cosworth151 on August 18, 2021, 01:13:30 PM ---I received a push message on my phone a few minutes ago that the 2021 Grand Prix of Japan has been cancelled due to Covid. I wasn't surprised.

A statement from Formula 1 read: "Following ongoing discussions with the promoter and authorities in Japan the decision has been taken by the Japanese government to cancel the race this season due to ongoing complexities of the pandemic in the country.

"Formula 1 is now working on the details of the revised calendar and will announce the final details in the coming weeks."

I doubt it will be the last cancellation. With the governor of Texas taking anyone who requires masks to court, I think Austin is on pretty shaky ground, too.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.formula-1-confirms-2021-japanese-grand-prix-has-been-cancelled.2Cn8r5e6lIm00IW984WnfW.html

--- End quote ---

Sad to see races go, but glad to see people taking the pandemic seriously.

I'd expect to see the American GP cancelled... but that means someone in Texas admitting there's a problem.  (Glad we didn't have the Miami GP this year, no way they'd agree to cancel an event in Florida)

Andy B:
I think you are right Jeri I doubt we'll have a 23 race season, I thought it too long anyhow!

Keep safe people.

rmassart:
Interestingly, there's an additional rule I didn't know about, as stated on autosport, https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/how-many-races-does-formula-1-need-to-declare-a-season-4983325/4983325/:

--- Quote ---Article 2.4.3.b.i states that in order to qualify as a world championship, the calendar "must include Competitions taking place on at least three continents during the same season."
--- End quote ---

Currently all races on the other side of the Atlantic are looking shaky, given the Covid rates there. Which would leave only 2 continents. Maybe Canada could jump in? Do they have winter tires in F1?  :DD

cosworth151:
All they really need is tire chains, as Max shows in this vid. Was this a secret test for a late year visit to Montreal?  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version