F1 News & Discussions > General F1 Discussion

Suzuka Cancelled

<< < (2/7) > >>

Jericoke:

--- Quote from: rmassart on August 19, 2021, 08:05:21 AM ---Interestingly, there's an additional rule I didn't know about, as stated on autosport, https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/how-many-races-does-formula-1-need-to-declare-a-season-4983325/4983325/:

--- Quote ---Article 2.4.3.b.i states that in order to qualify as a world championship, the calendar "must include Competitions taking place on at least three continents during the same season."
--- End quote ---

Currently all races on the other side of the Atlantic are looking shaky, given the Covid rates there. Which would leave only 2 continents. Maybe Canada could jump in? Do they have winter tires in F1?  :DD

--- End quote ---

Given that Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is a public space most of the year and not a full time race track, I doubt a race can be staged there.

However Canada has the Canadian Tire Motorplex, which previously hosted the Canadian GP when the track was called Mosport. I don't think it's up to snuff for modern F1, but it is a full time race track near Toronto that could be used.

The third track that has held the Canadian Grand Prix is another track near Montreal called Mont Tremblant. It's a full time track but is currently for sale by the owner... Lawrence Stroll.  I don't know if it could host an F1 event from an FIA point of view, but I suspect it could be ready from a logistical point of view.

(As for getting around the three continents issue, what about staging a dummy race where the teams agree not to appear at... So it's run but no one is actually there and no points are awarded?  Normally the FIA would disqualify such teams, but surely some pretext could be made, if anyone really wanted to push the point)

Alianora La Canta:
At the moment, there's a standing instruction from the FIA that any rule that would have been complied with but for COVID will be treated as complied with for series validation purposes, unless the FIA thinks that series is deliberately putting itself into noncompliance and using COVID as an excuse.

The FIA will consider F1 to have done its best effort to comply with the 3 continent rule if F1 doesn't cancel anything prematurely or refuse a reasonable offer for an unreasonable excuse (defined generously). F1 still needs one non-European race to make its TV contract (given that Turkey's still on the UK red list), but with 4 such locations still not redlisted yet, at least one of them is likely to come through.

Andy B:
The strange world we currently live in! :crazy:

Alianora La Canta:
Heads-up: Texas is reporting some ICUs are full (322 beds available across the entire state) and some people needing intensive care are having to be sent to neighbouring states. This does not seem compatible with hosting a Grand Prix, though given the Texas governor has tested positive for COVID-19, it may be a couple of weeks before we get a definite answer.

Dare:

--- Quote from: Alianora La Canta on August 19, 2021, 11:13:31 PM ---Heads-up: Texas is reporting some ICUs are full (322 beds available across the entire state) and some people needing intensive care are having to be sent to neighbouring states. This does not seem compatible with hosting a Grand Prix, though given the Texas governor has tested positive for COVID-19, it may be a couple of weeks before we get a definite answer.

--- End quote ---

The Governor's of Texas and Florida could come down with the
plaque and they'd act like it was a slight cold

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version