collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 356
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: An overtaking award?  (Read 1682 times)

Offline Andy B

An overtaking award?
« on: August 25, 2021, 04:03:46 AM »
Don't get me wrong I am all in favour of overtaking and even giving awards for it but the FIA are contradicting themselves as when LH used a Bold Brave move on MV at Silverstone he was penalised for doing so so now we have this.

Bold and and Brave are not my interpretation of this award it's been stated on the F1 web site "The award, which is the first of its kind, is designed to celebrate the bravery exhibited by drivers who make bold moves in pursuit of success."

I see trouble ahead!!  :tease:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.formula-1-announces-brand-new-crypto-com-overtake-award.4sGZIqlh653yA14rjcoZde.html

Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline rmassart

Re: An overtaking award?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2021, 05:16:50 AM »
Seems more like an excuse for more marketing revenues (from crypto.com in this case).

Don't see the point in "most overtakes" being awarded. What matters is the quality and skill of an overtake. Unlikely to be awarded to a top driver, since generally you have less need to overtake if you're in the lead!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2021, 06:45:49 AM »
I believe at the moment Seb is in the lead.
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 10:35:33 AM »
I don't see the point (except in additional advertising for a company which I am wary of) - most passes are done under DRS anyway, so this mostly rewards bad qualifiers and/or people who start races badly.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 01:18:36 PM »
Seems more like an excuse for more marketing revenues (from crypto.com in this case).

That was my initial thought as well when I saw this dumb award.

F1 strap line on this should read 'Bold and Clean' IMHO.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 01:20:48 PM »
There has been a rash of penalties for overtaking attempts lately. Many of those were totally unjustified, IMO. Maybe this is an attempt to redress any chilling effect those penalties might cause. I wonder if those penalized overtakes will count?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2021, 08:14:38 PM »
Instead of 'most overtakes' (seems like a reward for poor qualifying in a good car), why not have the drivers themselves vote on the 'overtake of the year'.

For fairness, they could only include drivers without a win to make sure the 'hardware' is spread around.

(the National Hockey league has numerous end of year awards, and they are all decided by different groups.  Some awards are voted on by the press, some by coaches, some by team management.  There is even an MVP voted on by the NHL press corps, and a second MVP voted on by the players, and they are frequently not the same player, demonstrating how people who watch the sport and play the sport have very different perspectives.)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2021, 10:21:53 PM »
That's a bit too much like the Oscars Jeri with the industry awarding itself!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2021, 03:01:54 PM »

Maybe they should open the Oscars up, let anyone with a recognized movie credit in the year get a vote.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2021, 10:16:19 PM »

Maybe they should open the Oscars up, let anyone with a recognized movie credit in the year get a vote.

I don't have an answer but the system seems wrong to me and the FIA penalising those who overtake and wanting to give a trophy for it too!
Very strange!!

Offline Willy

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2021, 09:33:47 PM »
Instead of Most Overtakes Award maybe a few points for the best Overcoming Adversity Award. Like storming from the back after a penalty or engine change and pit lane start etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle