F1 News & Discussions > General F1 Discussion

Spa Heroes & Zeroes

<< < (2/3) > >>

Dare:
All things considered the 2005 US Grand Prix didn't look that bad now

cosworth151:
We were comparing it to the 2005 USGP-Indy tire mess in the Chat Room  yesterday.

I think a major part of the reason for staging the two lap race was the TV contract. F1 is having a hard time making the minimum number of races to fulfill the contract as it is. Like it or not, it was an "official" race and therefor counts toward the TV total.

I want to give a Hero to our LoN. He's in Singapore. It was almost 1:00 am there when they finally called the race, but LoN hung in there in the Chat Room until the end. A true F1 fan!  :good:

John S:
For me there's only Zeros:-

The drivers all moaning on the first safety car adventure laps of the GP that the track was undrivable. For me this is what led to the crazy scenario that followed. If they had persisted at that time behind the safety car I think we may well have got a few real racing laps after 5 or 6 times round as drivers would prefer proper race to difficulty going slowly behind safety car.
They could have even put a virtual safety car period on if only they had flexible rules to set a delta for the runners which could be increased little by little to see what might happen.

Michael Masi who got himself boxed into a corner by bringing the cars in after the 2 exploratory laps at start (not officially a start apparently) and the weather never played ball after that.

Biggest Zero is for Sir Lewis - what's all this crap about the Money talking and refunds for spectators.  :swoon:  Not your realm mate.  >:(

Dip your hand in your own pocket to refund spectators Lewis, you make plenty - bet you'll still expect your pay & possibly place bonus for your weekends work though.  :crazy:

Alianora La Canta:
Lewis didn't break a bunch of regulations (some of which are there for safety reasons) in order to conduct actions that were arguably illegal, caused danger to everyone involved, and caused many spectators extra expenses that were unnecessary.

The FIA did.

The Safety Car already can go as fast or slow as it likes, unless instructed specifically by Race Control. Its driver is well aware that it needs to go as fast as feasible to keep the F1 cars' tyres in decent state. Since the Safety Car was having trouble staying on the road on the first attempt, going faster wasn't viable that time. On the second attempt, the water wasn't the issue, visibility was, and it was getting worse as time went on, so the Safety Car going faster wasn't going to answer any questions. In fact, visibility was poor enough that I'm not convinced the helicopter could have flown... ...in which case the traffic jams already occurring on Spa's connecting roads from people leaving the track meant that the 20-minute ambulance rule wasn't going to be possible. That in itself requires a red flag, and I'm surprised (at best) that Race Control decided not to follow the regulations.

It's the FIA who are at risk of facing lawyers over this (not Lewis, not the track, not even Liberty) - and it'll be lucky if it only has to refund the spectators.

Monty:
I think Hamilton expressed a view that many will agree with.
Between my rants about how ridiculous the whole sorry farce was, I said to my wife 'I bet they run a few laps behind the Safety Car so they can call this a race' - and low & behold...!
There was never going to be a better time to run the race than the original 3 o'clock slot. The radar was showing permanent rain for the rest of the day and light & temperatures were only going to get worse.
I felt that when they first went out they could have continued to run the cars behind the SC for another 4 or 5 laps which would have cleared enough water to make a rolling start possible (yes I know that is difficult to follow the safety car and that power units and tyres would have been cold but I believe it was possible). If the track was still deemed too wet to race after attempting this they should have abandoned the event immediately instead of keeping everyone hanging around.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version