collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 117
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16139 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12978 Posts
John S John S
11249 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Russel to Merc and Bottas to Alfa  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Dare

Russel to Merc and Bottas to Alfa
« on: August 31, 2021, 04:17:39 PM »
Hope it's wrong on Kimi. Couldn't care less
where Russel or Bottas goes

https://www.planetf1.com/news/kimi-raikkonen-retire-valtteri-bottas-george-russell/

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Russel to Merc and Bottas to Alfa
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 05:23:13 PM »
Same website, planetf1, is also touting Albon as first choice to replace George at Williams.  Guess time will tell which if any will happen.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 11:03:13 PM »
To be honest when was an F1 driver official announcement a surprise as they are all leaked so I expect a large proportion of truth in these comments.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 12:39:21 AM »
Sauber trying to sign 6 drivers to 2 seats (and 3 of them turning up in Australia 2015) was pretty surprising ;)
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 12:41:33 AM »
Sorry to say, I think Kimi hasn’t found this season much fun, and he has always said that’s when he’ll leave.  I couldn’t care a less about where Bottas goes and I don’t think Russell is the best pick for Merc (just curious, is Toto his manager as well?  Something stinks).
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Andy B

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 01:28:31 AM »
Sorry to say, I think Kimi hasn’t found this season much fun, and he has always said that’s when he’ll leave.  I couldn’t care a less about where Bottas goes and I don’t think Russell is the best pick for Merc (just curious, is Toto his manager as well?  Something stinks).

GR is under the Mercedes wing so yes you are right on that front. Mercedes have to prepare for the departure of LH and VB is not that driver whereas GR could very well be but how confident Merc are will be shown by the length of his contract if he gets one. I think any other potential prospects are already tied up in contracts so limited options. As for Kimi Scott has hit the nail on the head he does not seem to be a happy boy to the point probably cannot wait for the season to be over which when you saw him sitting alone waiting for something to happen on Sunday.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 12:16:25 PM »
Pretty sure Merc have chosen George to cover off Lewis walking away after next year if their car is not in the front running group.
Why would a 7 times champ want to hang around in a 2nd class car? - might not even see the season out.

They'll have Russell well integrated into the team by the end of next year and will have the insurance of one fast driver for the next couple of years.

In an alternative universe they leave George at Williams and then somehow the Grove team surprises the field and win races, :yahoo: he may not want a change of seats when Toto comes calling.  :D   

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2021, 01:39:14 PM »
I hope Kimi stays, but I doubt that will happen.

Sauber trying to sign 6 drivers to 2 seats (and 3 of them turning up in Australia 2015) was pretty surprising ;)

Remember, Alfa Romeo F1 is Sauber! I wonder.....  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2021, 01:48:47 PM »
Different leader. I think Mr Vasseur can count to 2.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Willy

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2021, 03:40:00 PM »
George will shine in a Merc, but will he play second fiddle to Lewis? Time will tell.
Bottas in an Alfa in Kimi's seat keeps him in the game.
Albon in a Williams, good driver, should be on the grid.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2021, 04:03:50 PM »
George will shine in a Merc, but will he play second fiddle to Lewis? Time will tell.
Bottas in an Alfa in Kimi's seat keeps him in the game.
Albon in a Williams, good driver, should be on the grid.

I'm sure Russel will do great at Mercedes, I'm not sure how good it will be being a teammate with Hamilton though.  We've seen how competitive Lewis gets with teammates when he drove Rosberg out of the sport.

If Lewis gets his championship this year, cementing his place in the record books, I can foresee him 'relaxing' a little, and moving into the mentor role.  But if he doesn't get it, and needs to fight for another championship, Russel is going to get a full lesson in F1 head games.

I really do see a repeat of Hamilton/Alonso (which I'd love to see round 2 of more than any driver pairing).  Of course, that worked out for Hamilton in the long run, so maybe that's what Russel needs?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle