F1 News & Discussions > General F1 Discussion

2021 Dutch Grand Prix Heroes and Zeroes

(1/2) > >>

Jericoke:
A fairly straightforward race with little passing, but it seemed like a great race.  Maybe because Spa was a disappointment, maybe because the atmosphere of the fans translated through the TV, or maybe a 'new' old track brings some excellent spice to 2021.

Heroes
Max:  a fantastic race, never approaching a mistake all weekend, not from driver nor team.  He didn't seem to draw on the crowd as much as British or Brazilian drivers do at home races.  Seemed a little weird for 'Mad Max' to be so grounded about being a national hero.

Bottas:  there's been plenty of talk about his future, about whether he would be a 'good teammate' if he's not being paid to do so.  Well, I think he did a great job of running the 'teammate' strategy, taking a late single pitstop so he could hold up Max for a couple laps, not pushing for the fastest lap point.  He really IS a team player, possibly the best 'rear gunner' we've seen in F1.

Gasly:  best of the rest, what more to say?

Ferrari:  2 strong points finishes, moving into third in the WCC, and the drivers seemed like they could have done more.  Ferrari is strong, and they're hungry.  That's what the sport needs!

Alonso:  I wasn't sure if Alonso/Alpine would have much to show this year.  Boy was I wrong.  Alonso is as much a racer as he's ever been. He's getting the most out of his car, and driving the pants off the other midfield drivers who may be the strongest 'midfield' in terms of skill we've ever had.

Zeroes:
Haas:  Grosjean and K-Mag couldn't get along... Schumacher and Mazepin can't get along.  I'm starting to think the team has some deep seated cultural issues.  Maybe Steiner needs to stop swearing for the camera and start getting this team sorted out.  He oversaw a great start to the team, but Gene needs more mature leadership for his team.

Williams:  They're still looking better, but back to Earth after 2 straight double points finishes.

Dare:
Bottas set fast lap on one of the last laps even
when he was told not to. Maybe he thought what
are they going to fire me. I bet he's at Alfa next year

Andy B:
I have to say I was not overly impressed with the track with little opportunity for overtaking which is down to the track and cars so maybe next year if the cars are to be able to run closer together it'll be a better spectacle.

LH took fastest lap with VB saying he eased off knowing LH would beat whatever he did.

I'm hoping Monza is to be more interesting.

rmassart:
Didn't watch the race, but it seems the top 10 finished like they started with the exception of Alonso gaining a couple of places.  So as great as the drivers say this track is, it doesn't look like there are many passing opportunities.  The banked corners looked nice, but didn't seem to help with the overtaking. I was hoping they would enable you to take different lines through he corner.

The highlights didn't add much to that, with the exception of Bottas giving us some intrigue by snatching the fastest lap "by accident". I think his time at Mercedes is up and he knows it...

Andy B:

--- Quote from: rmassart on September 06, 2021, 06:14:17 AM ---
The highlights didn't add much to that, with the exception of Bottas giving us some intrigue by snatching the fastest lap "by accident". I think his time at Mercedes is up and he knows it...

--- End quote ---

He asked the team why he was stopped if it was not for fastest lap but if they hadn't he would have been in front of LH but they didn't tell him that so he was p*ssed!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version