collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 319
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Yet another new idea  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Andy B

Yet another new idea
« on: September 16, 2021, 01:50:08 AM »
I'm quite unsure what the governing body want to do as yet another gimmick is indicated. Why they think this is going to attract a new younger audience I really don'y know.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/formula-1-grand-slam-plans/

Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Yet another new idea
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 03:51:30 AM »
If they start talking about "Playoffs" I will sadly say goodbye to F1 though I have loved it for close to 60 years.
Lonny

Offline rmassart

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 06:09:44 AM »
I'm quite unsure what the governing body want to do as yet another gimmick is indicated. Why they think this is going to attract a new younger audience I really don'y know.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/formula-1-grand-slam-plans/

Indeed. Sounds like another useless title to bring in sponsorship money, like that one for the most overtakes.

I realise things change with time, but the basic concept of qualifying based on the one lap speed and then racing based on qualifying is basically how motorsport has been run for decades and it really doesn't need changing.

Personally I preferred the way qualifying was run in 80s, with the fastest lap possible on Fridays as well. I can understand that for TV reasons that was dropped, but I preferred it that way.  I rarely watch qualifying now as generally the only real excitement is the last 2 minutes of each of the three parts. And if you're not really following the backmarkers, then it's only the last 2 minutes of the whole session. Not worth re-arranging my day for really.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 09:38:23 AM »
I assume this is for younger American customers (that may only exist on some overly biased poll). The younger European fans I'm in contact with want the regular season shortened because they can see it's bad for the health of competitors to run it the way it's currently run, and messing around with emphasis only helps if teams and drivers are allowed to skip the non-key events (no indication is given of this).

Also, the sprint race, which was welcomed and dissed in about equal measure in Britain, was almost entirely rejected in Monza. Even some of the fans who were there appeared to use it as a good time to go buy a snack or go to the toilet (and they were the primary audience). Creating a championship largely without interest to anyone not in the top 4 in the standard championship isn't in keeping with actual youth interests (which are spread far more evenly than that through the grid). Remember - 70% of fans either don't support one particular driver... ...or support more than 3. The social media I see indicates that the latter is far more common than even 5 years ago, let alone 10.

This is quite an expensive way of bringing in sponsorship money, I think. At least the overtake award required no changes to anything - apart from cluttering up our screens a bit (to try to force us to care about the award).

I still think that if a way to solve Q3's queuing problem is needed (and the logical method of banning inducing queues is verboten), then having a rolling-start 3-lap race would work quite well.

The governing body is supposed to be running a consultation on the state of F1. However, that was revealed to be a marketing email exercise and roundly mocked on social media, so I guess the powers-that-be have decided to reveal the plans they intend to steamroller against our interests early (a trick the FIA used in the late 2000s and early 2010s).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 01:56:22 PM »
Will we get "Fan Boost" too?  :sick:

NASCAR took a highly successful racing series and turned it into a gimmick fest in search of a "younger demographic." How's that working for them?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Dare

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 02:34:01 PM »
Maybe it is time for a change. I'm really starting
to like IndyCar more than F1 if they haven't changed
the name yet
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 07:25:28 PM »
Will we get "Fan Boost" too?  :sick:

NASCAR took a highly successful racing series and turned it into a gimmick fest in search of a "younger demographic." How's that working for them?

I stopped watching NASCAR when they started a "Playoff" system. Same with NHRA.
Lonny

Online Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 09:26:30 PM »
“F1 needs change and must be interesting for the young audience.”

F1 NEEDED change.  They were sorely lacking in media and social media presence.  Bernie had everything locked down so hard that unless you watched the races live, there was no way to see anything.

It's really really opened up.  Great video presence on social media.  Plenty of options to watch the race.  Documentaries at an accessible level.  Athletes who have a 'media savviness'.

I think F1 is on the right track, the 'hooks' are set, its time to just let the sport be the sport and see if the fans coming in stay.  I think they will.  I don't have all the 'engagement metrics' that Liberty has, but really... I think they've done a great job of making the sport engaging without changing the sport itself (too much).

I think bringing in more sponsors/suppliers/investors is the next step.  Eccelstone was right to bring in the eccentric billionaires to the sport.  Liberty needs to keep it up.  Now that all the billionaires have spaceships, lets get them to look at owning race teams.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 10:57:19 PM »
If they start talking about "Playoffs" I will sadly say goodbye to F1 though I have loved it for close to 60 years.

I could have written that!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Willy

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2021, 03:51:47 PM »
This seems like another rather confusing gimmick so the "need to be entertained every second" younger audience will continue to watch, and hopefully increase their numbers.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2021, 09:41:53 AM »
I don't think F1 understands why its popularity has increased.

It's now active on social media (so younger audiences can see it), has a popular documentary on Netflix (so people can see the humans behind the racing and technology - along with its greater honesty compared to some other sports) and has obvious competition at the front of the field (which it's lacked for a decade prior to this).

Does changing to Grand Slams make F1 more active on social media? No.

Does changing to Grand Slams make the people more obvious? No - in fact it obscures them a bit behind more complex series structuring.

Does changing to Grand Slams make F1 more honest? No - it makes it less honest by encouraging teams to put less effort into the non-Grand Slam rounds.

Does changing to Grand Slams increase competition? No - it decreases it by reducing the number of rounds where discretionary effort must be spread (making it easier for the better-resourced teams - which still exist despite the budget cap - to defeat less-resourced teams).

Do Grand Slams help with any required secondary attributes, such as safety? No.

Are Grand Slams likely to help anything in F1? No.

Will the powers-that-be notice or care in advance of the Grand Slam's failure? No. (Witness this being announced in the middle of an alleged consultation period).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle