F1 News & Discussions > General F1 Discussion

Yet another new idea

(1/3) > >>

Andy B:
I'm quite unsure what the governing body want to do as yet another gimmick is indicated. Why they think this is going to attract a new younger audience I really don'y know.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/formula-1-grand-slam-plans/

lkjohnson1950:
If they start talking about "Playoffs" I will sadly say goodbye to F1 though I have loved it for close to 60 years.

rmassart:

--- Quote from: Andy B on September 16, 2021, 01:50:08 AM ---I'm quite unsure what the governing body want to do as yet another gimmick is indicated. Why they think this is going to attract a new younger audience I really don'y know.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/formula-1-grand-slam-plans/

--- End quote ---

Indeed. Sounds like another useless title to bring in sponsorship money, like that one for the most overtakes.

I realise things change with time, but the basic concept of qualifying based on the one lap speed and then racing based on qualifying is basically how motorsport has been run for decades and it really doesn't need changing.

Personally I preferred the way qualifying was run in 80s, with the fastest lap possible on Fridays as well. I can understand that for TV reasons that was dropped, but I preferred it that way.  I rarely watch qualifying now as generally the only real excitement is the last 2 minutes of each of the three parts. And if you're not really following the backmarkers, then it's only the last 2 minutes of the whole session. Not worth re-arranging my day for really.

Alianora La Canta:
I assume this is for younger American customers (that may only exist on some overly biased poll). The younger European fans I'm in contact with want the regular season shortened because they can see it's bad for the health of competitors to run it the way it's currently run, and messing around with emphasis only helps if teams and drivers are allowed to skip the non-key events (no indication is given of this).

Also, the sprint race, which was welcomed and dissed in about equal measure in Britain, was almost entirely rejected in Monza. Even some of the fans who were there appeared to use it as a good time to go buy a snack or go to the toilet (and they were the primary audience). Creating a championship largely without interest to anyone not in the top 4 in the standard championship isn't in keeping with actual youth interests (which are spread far more evenly than that through the grid). Remember - 70% of fans either don't support one particular driver... ...or support more than 3. The social media I see indicates that the latter is far more common than even 5 years ago, let alone 10.

This is quite an expensive way of bringing in sponsorship money, I think. At least the overtake award required no changes to anything - apart from cluttering up our screens a bit (to try to force us to care about the award).

I still think that if a way to solve Q3's queuing problem is needed (and the logical method of banning inducing queues is verboten), then having a rolling-start 3-lap race would work quite well.

The governing body is supposed to be running a consultation on the state of F1. However, that was revealed to be a marketing email exercise and roundly mocked on social media, so I guess the powers-that-be have decided to reveal the plans they intend to steamroller against our interests early (a trick the FIA used in the late 2000s and early 2010s).

cosworth151:
Will we get "Fan Boost" too?  :sick:

NASCAR took a highly successful racing series and turned it into a gimmick fest in search of a "younger demographic." How's that working for them?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version