collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 313
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Turkish GP Heroes & Zeroes  (Read 855 times)

Offline Willy

Turkish GP Heroes & Zeroes
« on: October 10, 2021, 05:56:27 PM »
Heros.
Saintz
He has most definitely become the top Ferarri driver even tho Leclerc has flashes of greatness now again but Carlos is fast and consistent.

Bottas
Great quali and pole. He held the top place every lap to win his 10th F1 race.

Vettel
I loved when he dove in for slicks when everyone was going for new inters. Well worth a try and if it had paid off, he would have climbed up through the grid fast. Too bad it was like driving on grease.  Still a ballsy move Seb.

Zeros
Merc Pitwall
Are you kidding me? You believe a computer simulation over a 100 race winner in the cars and his intuition?  FOOLS    After 50 laps on the same tires he started with, Lewis said he was slipping around but had it under control, and you agreed with him. The next lap you call him in for new inters and he drops off the podium and down two places. MORONS

Stewards
Gasley was squeezed by Perez in the 1st corner and had to move over and that is why he touched Alonso and he went off. It was a racing incident at best.

Offline Jericoke

Re: Turkish GP Heroes & Zeroes
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 08:59:02 PM »
Almost felt like Mercedes wanted to make McLaren/Norris feel better about getting the tire call so wrong in Russia.  Obviously we didn't get to hear everything discussed between team and driver, but Lewis felt like he was going to hold on, what information did the team have that giving up 20 seconds was going to be made up somehow?

Vettel certainly had nothing to lose with that tire call, and he lost it big time.

Agree that Gasly didn't deserve a penalty for that.  It was a racing incident at best.  Alonso should know better than trying to pass to cars battling for position, even on the first lap.

My highlight of the race was the battle between Perez and Hamilton.  Well fought, though Hamilton did squeeze Perez into the pit lane.  I'm not saying it called for a penalty, but I'm a little curious why Perez could pass the bollard without at least an investigation.  (Since we'd already established 'racing incident' wasn't going to get an automatic pass)

Offline rmassart

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 05:55:47 AM »
One thing I didn't understand is why did the new inters fall apart so quickly for Lewis and Leclerc?  Is this known behaviour of the tires? Why did it not happen to other drivers? If it's a matter of tires being used to hard too quickly, how many laps would be needed to drive slower before going at full speed? Sorry for all the questions but this was surprising to me, that one lap after being on fresh rubber, Lewis is complaining about graining and being caught by Gasly. And clearly Mercedes weren't factoring that into their calculations. Or were they so scared of a blowout in the old tires?

As for who is to to blame for Lewis dropping to fifth. It's not clear to me he would have kept 3rd if he had stayed out. For me the real problem was not Mercedes' decision to bring him in, but to let him stay out after the first call to bring him in. It's indecisive and lost them a couple of places.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 11:18:13 AM »
Clearly Gasly had nowhere to go, so to penalize him for the touch with Alonso was not correct.  Considering the other cars around him, if he had brakes to avoid both cars, he probably would have caused a pileup behind him. 

Turkey clearly sucks in the rain - sad to see a normally exciting race into a snore fest with conditions that normally bring an exciting race.

Normally I hate it when Lewis questions the strategists, but I think he could have shown off his defensive skills for a change and maybe he would have made it home in 3rd.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 11:23:57 AM »
One thing I didn't understand is why did the new inters fall apart so quickly for Lewis and Leclerc?  Is this known behaviour of the tires? Why did it not happen to other drivers? If it's a matter of tires being used to hard too quickly, how many laps would be needed to drive slower before going at full speed? Sorry for all the questions but this was surprising to me, that one lap after being on fresh rubber, Lewis is complaining about graining and being caught by Gasly. And clearly Mercedes weren't factoring that into their calculations. Or were they so scared of a blowout in the old tires?

The Inters never fell apart, they are designed for wet running not near dry conditions at outset of a stint. The tread on the Inters is the problem, the tyres overheat in the first few push laps and settle down once some of the tread has been worn down, they all went thru it. The earlier stoppers - Max, Bottas, Checo & Gasly all had slightly wetter conditions when they returned to track but even so lost lap time for a few laps bringing the Inters in.

The harder you push on Inters at beginning of stint the more damage you will do to them on a drying track, Both Leclerc and Lewis were keen to push on so they had more painful laps than the earlier stoppers. Mercedes will have factored that into the equation, I think they were worried about a DNF from either a blow out or a shower of rain late in the race. Lewis on virtually slick tyres would stand very little chance against the better tyres of runners behind in a rain shower, he might drop out of points altogether.

Yes the optimum would have been to pit Lewis with Perez and use extra speed advantage to get to 3rd, however Merc saw a race Win possible if track dried enough to bolt slicks on late on. Earlier Lewis also wanted to stay out for track position too, he confirmed it in radio exchanges, so I don't get his moaning about ending up where he did.  :crazy: :fool:

Sometimes gambles don't pay off, pitting when he eventually did was to cover off Gasly & anyone else who might catch and pass him before chequered flag, better to bag 5th than lose the lot.

We all applaud Vettel for giving it a go on slicks.  :good: For me therefore it's not a Zero for Merc or Lewis taking a risk, at least they secured a result from a very tricky race for them.

The only answer I can see to this problem is to prepare/condition a set of Inters for just such a circumstance. However they only get limited stock and how would it look to have a car running round on Inters on a bone dry track in practice - in fact is it even allowed in the regs?  :DntKnw:

The Gasly incident was a slam dunk penalty for me, yes Perez moved towards him but there was about 3 or 4 feet between Perez & Gasly when Nando got nudged. Pierre simply overreacted.  |-(

« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 11:25:41 AM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Monty

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 09:43:20 AM »
I think the first corner punt between Gasly and Alonso was a real shame because watching Alonso near the front would have been good. Personally, I do not think the issue deserved a penalty but I am always banging on about consistency and based on recent events (unless your name is Verstappen) this decision was consistent with other recent events. I think Hamilton drove brilliantly and (based on Ocon) I still wonder if he would have finished at least one place further forward if he had stayed out on the intermediates. The side by side battle between Hamilton and Perez was fantastic and shows that with two respectful drivers it is possible to have hard racing without wheel banging and damage. Sainz was excellent and it looks like the new Ferrari package has some real speed. Bottas did everything he needed to do. Ricciardo was unlucky during qualifying and did a solid job in the race. Turkey provided a better race weekend than I had expected.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle