collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 369
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1 looking to automatically delete Quali lap times if yellow flags are out  (Read 1004 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Lap time deletions may start as early as US GP in Austin, weekend after next, with Masi introducing a 'Test' - not a regulation change, after discussions with teams.

They're trying to cover off a grey area of runners inside, or at start of double yellow zone when its thrown not slowing sufficiently. Losing the lap time automatically should ensure all drivers back off properly.

Could make for some interesting & perhaps tight Quali sessions at some tracks. Should save the Stewards time and long explanations too.  :D 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 04:13:28 PM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

On the one hand, I applaud the effort at safety.  It still needs to be the top priority of F1.

On the other hand, a modern F1 car can't do two qualifying laps in a row, so a car on a 'waved off' lap will need at least 3 minutes to put in a proper qualifying lap, and that's without getting new tires or a top up of fuel.  Getting yellow flags on two runs will eat up a lot of time in the relatively short sessions.

So I suggest that if a yellow flag lap is deleted, then the session time must at least be paused until the yellow flag offender is back in the pits, or has started their next lap.  Otherwise add time to the session.  Even a minute per yellow flag should be sufficient.

Offline Monty

I am completely in agreement with Jeri. The qualifying sessions are so short that deleting a lap under yellows  could completely destroy the qualifying for a driver (or possibly several). I agree that deleting laps increases safety but sometimes this could be for something as simple as a half-spin which is cleared in seconds. Therefore, it seems logical that the quali session is increased by at least enough time to do a 'recharge' lap.

Offline rmassart

Maybe it should be by sector, if you are in a sector with a yellow flag, your time is deleted because you should anyway be going so slow that the lap would be meaningless. I am sure they have the technology to track that.

Sometimes I think we should return to the one hour free for all qualifying sessions. I actually find the knockout system a bit dull and only watch the last 5 minutes to see who's in pole. The rest is boring, with a couple of minutes at the end of each period to see who gets knocked out (more or less the usual suspects).

Offline Willy

I totally agree with the open 1 hr qualifying.  The knockout system is dull and is only slightly interesting if it is wet as it shakes up the field a bit.
The 1-hour open qualifying was better, I feel.

Offline Jericoke

I totally agree with the open 1 hr qualifying.  The knockout system is dull and is only slightly interesting if it is wet as it shakes up the field a bit.
The 1-hour open qualifying was better, I feel.

I too fondly remember the 1 hour/12 lap Q sessions.

Didn't they get rid of them because of congestion in the last 5 minutes with 26 cars all trying to qualify made it a little farcical?

I generally prefer the current knockout system where the top drivers have much more room for a 'shootout'.

It's not like the old hour long session was solid excitement, it was still the last 5 minutes that 'mattered'.

Offline Scott

I didn’t like the 12 lap Q.  Spent too much time watching an empty track and then panic at the end.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

Let them draw their starting positions from a hat.
That would liven up the rave and the dnf's
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline rmassart

I too fondly remember the 1 hour/12 lap Q sessions.

Didn't they get rid of them because of congestion in the last 5 minutes with 26 cars all trying to qualify made it a little farcical?

I was more thinking of the late 80s where you could run as many laps as you wanted.  The fastest lap was not always done at the end. The whole session was more interesting that way, although of course there were many dull periods as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle