collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 355
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Sao Paulo 2021 Heroes and Zeroes  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Jericoke

Sao Paulo 2021 Heroes and Zeroes
« on: November 14, 2021, 07:11:44 PM »
Heroes

Sir Lewis Hamilton.  My god, what a weekend put together by both driver and team.  A superior car with a superior driver absolutely destroying all comers.  Set the best time in qualifying, with a broken car.  Started dead last in the Sprint Qualifying, made 15 passes.  Started the race in 10th and carved through the field.  The pass for first was NOT inevitable either.  Having a fast car is great, but Max had position and the ability to defend.  Lewis poked and prodded and created that pass.  They could easily have crashed off, but Lewis was wary to Max's antics.

Absolutely stunning demonstration of what a champion looks like.

Bottas.  Under normal circumstances, the pole sitter finishing third doesn't sound all that heroic, but Bottas did his job for the team.

Norris.  Great recovery drive from an opening lap puncture.

Ferrari.  The best of the midfield.  Solid racing from both drivers, and great development from the team.

Zeroes.

Max.  Joking about fines meaning he can't pay to win video games.  Dismissing a warning flag with sarcasm.  Trying to run Hamilton off the road.

Massi/Horner.  Look, whether Max TRIED to run Lewis off the road or not, he retained position by going off track.  Last time I checked, that's a penalty.  Allowing this behaviour means Max is going to do it again, and again.  If Lewis hadn't expected that move from Max, it would have been a third crash between the contenders.

Offline rmassart

Re: Sao Paulo 2021 Heroes and Zeroes
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021, 07:58:37 PM »
Overall a great race, looking forward to remaining 3 races. Still all to play for.

Not happy with the decision to take no action on Max. As far as I can tell he simply drove straight on in the corner and forced Lewis off the track. He was way off the racing line. So I would put the stewards on the Zero list. Max should at least have had a 5s penalty. Which might have relegated him to third if Lewis overtook him and then slowed down so Bottas could catch up. But the stewards bottled it. I get the impression they never hand out penalties if no harm was done. That's wrong. It simply encourages dangerous driving.

Offline Monty

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 08:19:57 PM »
To be fair the track, the DRS zones and both races were the heroes. Excellent racing throughout both events.
The Zeroes must include FIA rules, stewards, and inconsistency.
I’m not going to argue about the wing test - a fail is a fail. But why test after qualifying? Why not accept that failure over less than a quarter of the flap length was ‘damage’ rather than a technical infringement. Why not warn them and allow them to fix it (like RBR have several times in the last few races). For the sake of the  Championship why penalise just one driver (neither or both would have been more reasonable).
Oh and then there is Verstappen - breaks the sporting code and laughs off the penalty; openly claims that Mercedes are cheating; forces Bottas off the first corner; forces Hamilton off the circuit (literally steers off the circuit and when off the circuit steers Hamilton even further off to make sure his tyres are properly dirty); weaves dangerously down the straight and then makes sarcastic remarks about the warning. He is not fit to be called a professional and should hold his head in shame  when close to the likes of Hamilton!

Offline Willy

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 11:23:20 PM »
Lewis had an amazing weekend to overcome adversity and showed what a champion he truly is.
Bottas did his job well this race and brought the car home in 3rd to help the team.
Sao Paulo track is always a fun watch with good overtaking.

The Stewards were showing their true political colours by not penalizing Max for a blatant infraction, pushing Lewis off track.
Max showed his true dirty colours by pushing 1st Bottas, then Lewis off track. If that corner is hard to hold, why did you not go off any other time? 

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 02:31:43 PM »
Lewis proved once again that he is one of the all time best at overcoming adversity. He kept his head & put on a class in how to move quickly up through the field. Max proved once again that he will still go "dirty" when the chips are down.

I think Max should have gotten penalized for the actions mentioned in the other posts. That said, I enjoyed seeing Lewis prove that he could beat Max without any action from the stewards.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2021, 05:46:06 PM »
The latest is tat the Stewards have asked for Verstappen's front facing camera footage and it still hasn't been made available. I wonder why? Perhaps because it shows what we could all see on the TV coverage; Verstappen deliberately steering into Hamilton.
Red Bull cheating and the biased approach by the FIA stewards to make sure Verstappen wins the WDC this year (at any cost) is tainting the F1!

Offline rmassart

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2021, 01:03:50 PM »
I find it bizarre that the stewards don't have immediate access to all possible video and camera recordings. Surely that should be in the contract of the TV rights???

I also recall Schumacher being disqualified from an entire season for doing something very similar to Villeneuve back in 1997. If hard racing means the leader in the championship can just force people off the track, then the championship is over after the first race.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 01:33:57 PM »

I also recall Schumacher being disqualified from an entire season for doing something very similar to Villeneuve back in 1997. If hard racing means the leader in the championship can just force people off the track, then the championship is over after the first race.

That was my first thought too.  Max has a history of running opponents off, like Schumacher did.  Lewis saved the FIA from an embarrassing situation by knowing exactly what Max was going to do (as any champion understands their adversary).

Toto needs to hammer this point in the press, that the next time Max does it, it's on purpose no matter how it looks.  Then we get to see Marko claim that his championship contender can't control his car.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2021, 02:36:56 PM »
Here it is. All of the on-boards for the incident from both cars. Max's face/steering wheel cam starts at about 1:05.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.watch-all-the-angles-of-hamilton-and-verstappens-lap-48-battle-in-brazil.3ghMXVIaYdjY6WDID1QFte.html
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline rmassart

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2021, 02:52:05 PM »
Would be good to see a side-by-side with his steering wheel the previous lap(s)!  Looks to me like he went straight for too long, rather than that he actually steered right. The effect on Lewis is of course the same!

Offline Andy B

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2021, 04:34:30 AM »
Having now seen the onboards and just about every other angle you wish to think of I think MV should count himself very lucky!
I'm sure he would have been faster into that bend than at another time hence why he could not make it.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Monty

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2021, 09:53:18 AM »
I have to admit that Verstappen did not steer into Hamilton......he just didn't bother to steer at all! It is absolutely blatant - Hamilton is well in front and Verstappen doesn't brake or steer. Hamilton was left with the choice to go off track or get wiped out!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2021, 01:20:15 PM »
Mercedes has filed a Right of Review protest after viewing the video. Formula 1 race director Michael Masi agreed with suggestions that the availability of Verstappen’s front-facing onboard could have been an influencing factor. On Tuesday, that front-facing onboard was made publicly available by Formula 1.

Hopefully they will have it sorted in time for the next race.

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a38267911/mercedes-fires-off-protest-against-max-verstappen-red-bull-after-new-video-surfaces/
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle