collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 367
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Qatar 2021 Heroes and Zeroes  (Read 3578 times)

Offline Monty

Re: Qatar 2021 Heroes and Zeroes
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2021, 09:18:15 AM »
They are claiming sprint races as a success but I can’t understand why.
They haven’t provided any jeopardy or excitement.
Offering very few points and only to the top three completely misses the point. There is no benefit for a mid-pack team to take risks because there is still no chance of them getting into the points. Frankly ‘normal’ qualifying setting up overall grid positions (for both races) then a reverse grid sprint race would be the only way a sprint face could be interesting and worthwhile.

Offline rmassart

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2021, 02:57:58 PM »
Frankly ‘normal’ qualifying setting up overall grid positions (for both races) then a reverse grid sprint race would be the only way a sprint face could be interesting and worthwhile.

The only way I see a reverse grid working is basing it on the current championship position. You could even do away with qualifying altogether. But if you want to penalise the leader, why not just add a few kilos to the cars for every point they have. Do they not do that in some racing leagues?

Otherwise you get those in the midfield potentially going for last in qualifying so they start 1st in the sprint race with a hope of hanging on for a few points in the sprint race which they would never get in the full race.

I think overall F1 has become too complicated, too much strategy, because overtaking is impossible.  We're supposed to get excited by the "undercut" on the tire changes, yeah right! I preferred it in the 80s (which is when I started watching F1).  No weird qualifying elimination, no need for tire changes, no need to run different types of tire (there was only one type), and not so many races that it was impossible to keep up.

I get the impression Liberty are trying to turn F1 into some sort of background noise, which is always on, always in the news, but which you don't have to follow each race, because there are so many, missing one doesn't matter (and it might well be boring anyway). Football (soccer) in Europe has become like that. Tennis as well.

[Sorry about the rant]

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2021, 07:06:32 PM »

I get the impression Liberty are trying to turn F1 into some sort of background noise, which is always on, always in the news, but which you don't have to follow each race, because there are so many, missing one doesn't matter (and it might well be boring anyway). Football (soccer) in Europe has become like that. Tennis as well.

[Sorry about the rant]

I don't know about how revenue works in the Liberty era, but I'm pretty sure that in the Bernie era, the hosts (i.e., the racetrack/promoters) only made money on ticket sales (and probably leasing vendor space).  The idea of the sprint race was to provide 3 'meaningful days' to encourage more tickets/attendance.  If that happened at the three sprint races, then that sounds like 'success' to me.  Naturally with Covid lockdowns and pent up demand for live events, I don't think any sort of 'normal' can be decided from this season, but I don't run a multibillion dollar sport.

Chair Bear has some good suggestions to make the sprint more meaningful.  It's not on YouTube yet (it is on Nebula, if you subscribe to that).  I thought they had some interesting ideas, including having a separate 'sprint championship'

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2021, 06:22:42 PM »
They are claiming sprint races as a success but I can’t understand why.
They haven’t provided any jeopardy or excitement.

Has Liberty ever said that any of their ideas weren't a great success?

Quali is about the best show of the weekend at most races. If it's not broken.......
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2021, 10:37:00 PM »
To be fair, Hamilton's rip through the field in Sau Paulo did generate some excitement, though the other 2 were pretty blah.
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle