F1 News & Discussions > General F1 Discussion

Qatar 2021 Heroes and Zeroes

(1/4) > >>

rmassart:
Heroes

Lewis, great start to finish win lapping half of the field. Can't ask for more.

Max, did a great job keeping up with Lewis.

Alonso, first Podium in like forever. I do hope he is able to win again in the future.

Zeroes

Horner, for being himself and criticising everyone but his team.

Mercedes for ruining Bottas' race. There was simply no obvious reason for keeping him out that long.

Bottas for yet another terrible start, although he did a good recovery until his own team got in the way.

Tires, or perhaps teams running too long to maintain track position.

For the next race I hope Lewis can end up a point ahead of Max going into the final race. Otherwise I fear Max will simply run him off the road...

Jericoke:
Lewis and Max looked like they were in a different class out there.   The other teams and drivers, Alonso included, looked like zeroes in comparison.

Bad luck for Bottas, but he wasn't having a great race day.  Perez and Max were able to slice through the field, why not Bottas?  (Even before Mercedes decided to gamble on his tires lasting longer than Pirelli promised)

I felt like the FIA was dropping the ball all over the place.  I believe that Max deserved a penalty for what happened in Sao Paulo, but would also have accepted just closing the book and moving on.  Somehow the FIA chose neither of those options, by reopening the investigation and then just sort of shrugging their shoulders.  Is what Max did 'legal'?  No one seems to know.  Then the non committal yellow flags during qualifying.  Yes, there should have been single/double yellows.  Yes the drivers should have slowed down.  However, a single tiny flag a hundred meters from the driver's focus at night just isn't going to cut it.  You've got lights, you've got in car warning systems, and you've got radios.  Either safety is important, and make yellows blindingly obvious, or just half ass it and hope no one gets hurt.  Somehow the FIA chose the latter.  Also, as exciting as it is for teams to show up at a new circuit with no experience, it doesn't seem great to allow the tire provider to have no idea.  Luckily no one was hurt by any of the tire failures, but you can't really blame the drivers, nor teams, nor even Pirelli.  The FIA had no way to make sure things would proceed safely.

lkjohnson1950:
I'm not sure about the others, but Bottas ran 3 laps farther than Pirelli recommended on his tires. That's a pretty big risk, particularly at a track with aggressive curbs.

Dare:

--- Quote from: lkjohnson1950 on November 22, 2021, 12:24:35 AM ---I'm not sure about the others, but Bottas ran 3 laps farther than Pirelli recommended on his tires. That's a pretty big risk, particularly at a track with aggressive curbs.

--- End quote ---

Bottas receives the worst race plans and when they
fail he gets blamed. I bet he'll be a lot happier next year.
Russel won't

Willy:
Lewis did his bit and won, great work.
Max managed to negate the grid penalty within a few laps and pressured Lewis all race.
Alonso showed his talent and managed to get the Alpine onto the podium. Well, done Ferd, nice to see you up there smiling.

Horner is an ass who just follows the party line.

Merc ruined Bottas's race with poor decisions and it cost him.

The FIA does not want Lewis to win this year's championship as a new champion will generate a better rivalry which equates to more interest from fans and more TV coverage. More $$$$.  It's always about the $$, nothing else.

The second set of white curbs were considerably more damaging on the cars and tires than anyone realized and this was a huge factor in ruining front wing tips and front left tires.  The teams and Pirelli should have reacted faster (or reacted at all) to help keep the drivers safe. Anything could happen when the tires shred as bad as they were as drivers tried to limp their way around the circuit back to the pits.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version