Fun Stuff > Pictures & Jokes

The importance of logic in computer games

(1/4) > >>

Alianora La Canta:
I'm currently reading some advice on how to make better computer games, based on their reviews. I offer the following examples of how to do it wrong in interactive fiction (names of games withheld to protect the guilty, since none of them are commercial):

"You can go down a chimney and come out in a room with no fireplace — how exactly does that work?"

"I’m heading into a potentially dangerous situation without any equipment or precautions at all. Shouldn’t I have a spacesuit in case the base is out of air or contaminated with germs or radioactivity? Shouldn’t I also have a flashlight, a medical kit, a radio transmitter, and a weapon?"

"[I failed because] I hadn’t bothered taking all the useless junk from earth (I’m sneaking on board a spaceship! Why, in the name of all that’s holy, would I bring a mop?)"

"I can’t help including this quote: "You are aware that the club is silent, except for the loud music still playing."

cosworth151:
I don't think even the Boy Scout motto "Be Prepared" would cover carrying a mop into space, Ali.  :-[

John S:

--- Quote from: cosworth151 on August 12, 2022, 05:07:34 PM ---I don't think even the Boy Scout motto "Be Prepared" would cover carrying a mop into space, Ali.  :-[

--- End quote ---

Clearly neither of you are au fait with the 'Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy'.  ::)

A mop is obviously the sort a random object that's likely to turn out really useful in any one of the infinite improbabilities that arise when moving across time & space in ours & other universes.  ;) :D  |-(

And just in case you don't believe me I suggest you consult 'Marvin the Paranoid Android' a ships computer in said Sci-Fi book/series, after all Marvin claims he is 50,000 times more intelligent than a human.  :DD

cosworth151:

--- Quote ---Clearly neither of you are au fait with the 'Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy'.  ::) 
--- End quote ---

"Don't Panic!"   ;)

Alianora La Canta:
Ah, but if I have a towel, why would I also need a mop?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version