F1 News & Discussions > F1 Drivers

Mario Andretti in a McLaren MP4 28

(1/1)

Jericoke:

Zac Brown agreed to let Mario race a 'modern' F1 car (9 years old counts as 'modern' for someone who's first F1 car was designed in 1967, right?) and he got the chance this past week at Laguna Seca.

I'm always happy to have an excuse to talk about Mario.  When I first watched open wheel racing it was the 1985 Indy 500, and Mario was already a legend at that time.  I'd never heard of him, but by the end of the race, even though he didn't win, I could tell he was THE race car driver just from how the announcers talked about him.

I don't imagine ANYONE who started racing in the 1950s would expect to be able to drive an F1 car in 2022.  We can debate who the best racer of all time is... however there is only one name in the discussion of who the best racer is over a 60 year span.

I hope that we're blessed to see Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton and Verstappen active in motorsport into their 80s, but they've got long decades before being in the same conversation as Mario Andretti

John S:
Thanks Jeri I enjoyed watching that.  :good:

Mario certainly is up there with the greatest of all time in open wheel motorsport, he's also a damn nice fella both in interviews and from what others say about him. - Carry on suprising us Mario  :yahoo:

cosworth151:
About the only thing better than seeing Mario drive a modern F1 car is seeing Mario drive a modern F1 car through the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca.  :yahoo:

Thanks, Jeri!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version