F1 News & Discussions > Pit Pass

Wet Race Fenders?

(1/1)

Jericoke:
The FIA is attempting to develop 'arches' (fenders I presume?) to reduce spray during wet races.

https://f1i.com/news/462964-fia-presses-ahead-with-plans-for-wet-weather-wheel-arches.html

No word if they would attach/detach quickly, or have to be fitted for the entire race before the green flag.

I like the idea, as the danger during a wet race is the visibility from kicked up spray, not the traction (though traction will always be a danger), especially if the teams can remove them during a dry tire change over.

It also gives smaller teams an opportunity to gamble on a design for wet weather races to get some points by designing a car to race with the fenders on.

John S:
We call em mudguards in Blighty Jeri.  :D

Guess they'll be a bit like the skinny ones fitted on Caterhams (old Lotus 7), Wizzo can probably tell us how effective they might be.  ;)

cosworth151:
Sounds like a decent idea if it's carried out correctly.

--- Quote ---"We have done a lot of CFD [computer fluid dynamics] simulations, because we want to make sure the effect of these devices is relatively small on the overall aerodynamics," Tombazis said.
--- End quote ---

I'm sure it won't take long for the aerodynamicists to game that for all it's worth.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version