F1 News & Discussions > F1 History

Artificial Intelligence chooses top 10 F1 drivers of all time

<< < (2/2)

Jericoke:

--- Quote from: John S on June 23, 2023, 04:14:20 PM ---
--- Quote from: Jericoke on June 23, 2023, 01:01:16 PM ---
--- Quote from: lkjohnson1950 on June 23, 2023, 11:58:57 AM ---To me comparing current drivers to those of 50/60 years ago is apples to oranges. It would be fascinating to stick Lewis or Max into a Lotus 25 or 33 and see if they could match Clark's times. Cars with no aero and tires hard enough to last 3 or 4 races are entirely different animals.

--- End quote ---

The opposite would be true too.  Dropping a driver from a previous era into a modern car with zero visibility, insanely high g forces, a steering wheel with more computing power than the entire Earth in 1975 and enough down force that breaking zones are merely a suggestion wouldn't be all that competitive with drivers with full time trainers, dieticians and physiotherapists.

--- End quote ---

You may be right Jeri but I reckon Stirling Moss would give it a proper go.  :D

--- End quote ---

I suspect the best of any era would find a way to succeed in a different era.  Hamilton and Schumacher both won championships in very different F1 cars.  Alonso has shown aptitude in a variety of series.  Pre 80s drivers drove in a variety of series in a single season, so I presume could adapt quickly.

Modern drivers often get a chance to race old F1 cars.  They're rarely going 'all out', so it's not a direct comparison, but LeClerc has put more laps in the Ferrari 312B3 than Lauda has put in the SF-23

Alianora La Canta:
I'm impressed it managed not to include any non-F1 drivers in that list, given the number of stories I've heard of AI incompetence (especially in terms of plain making stuff up - I was half-expecting a Sangio or Devon in the list).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version