F1 News & Discussions > General F1 Discussion

I'm loosing interest!

<< < (2/3) > >>

rmassart:
I'm more worried about this comment:

--- Quote ---With the cars proving near undrivable under the original plans to only run with active rear aerodynamics, further tweaking is necessary – and Newey explained the challenge facing the teams isn’t a small one.
--- End quote ---

I can imagine, what Newey didn't say was that he's already solved the challenge (and therefore RB will now be a second a lap faster, rather than just half a second...)

John S:
Adrian had no trouble with ICE units overworking in corners when blown diffusers were de ri·gueur.  :confused:

Like all new regs & tech changes this is bound to throw up some unexpected changes - for most of us anyway - for better or worse.

Sounds more to me like Adrian maybe hawking for some changes as he can't see how he can get the jump on the rest.  :D

Much as I dislike what we may be in for from Adrian's predicted scenarios F1 has always evolved, either through clever developments & manipulations of materials and engineering, or from rule changes - supposedly imposed for closer racing & more road relevance - but mostly on whims of OEMs or marketing people.

Our beloved F1 has romped on regardless, I expect it will do the same in new era, perhaps some teams will have more of a limp than others come 26.  ;) 

cosworth151:

--- Quote ---There is no link between road cars and F1 I do not know of anybody who bought  a type or make of car because its in F1 on the same thing who bought a Toyota because they won Le Mans?
--- End quote ---

"Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" has always been one of the main reasons given by car companies to justify the money they spend on racing. Marques like Ferrari & McLaren owe their very existence to racing.

The reason the FIA gave for the V6 hybrids was "to make F1 more relevant to road cars."

Andy B:
Are F1 cars relevant to road cars?
I really don't think so I recently said to an F1 engineer, Mercedes, do F1 ideas go to road cars and he said it was the other way around but take a look at your own car and see what's there from F1 there's very little unless you drive a very expensive elite model.

cosworth151:
I didn't mean that there is actual transfer, just that the FIA claimed there is to justify the move to the turbo mini-motor hybrids.

Here in the States we did have a period of direct transfer. With out it we wouldn't have had the tastefully subtle lines of the Plymouth Road Runner Superbird / Dodge Daytona Charger. We would have missed the great practicality of the Pontiac Grand Prix 2+2 / Chevy Monte Carlo Aerocoupe. They had huge trunks (boots) but trunk lids that were so small that an inflated basketball wouldn't fit through them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version