F1 News & Discussions > F1 History

Gilles and Didlier

(1/2) > >>

Dare:

Good article if your a Gilles fan and he couldn't be. I'd
love to see the documentary

https://www.planetf1.com/features/villeneuve-pironi-documentary

Jericoke:
I've seen the doc.  It's all before my time, so I only knew the broad strokes.

Understanding what it meant to their families add such a huge dimension.  And seeing how their families dealt with it?  A very good insight into how good people deal with tragedy.

lkjohnson1950:
Unfortunately, many families went through this "back in the day". The death of Clark was an eye opener. A number of drivers said things like if it can happen to Jimmy, it can happen to anyone. A columnist at the time wrote a fine piece stating Clark wasn't killed by a flat tire, or a suspension failure, he was killed by a tree. A tree that had no business being there. But safety took a long time to improve. First came guardrails, but drivers were killed by the very guardrails meant to protect them. Today, cars are so safe, tracks are so safe, we don't have to deal with the issue of driver deaths very often. It saddens me to think if Clark had the same accident today, he would hit a soft, impact absorbing barrier and pop out waving to the crowd.

Dare:
If anyone would like to see the film it's on YouTube

cosworth151:
There's a saying in aviation that applies just as well to racing - the regulations are written in blood. The only time they change is after someone gets killed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version