collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 188
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16182 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13028 Posts
John S John S
11302 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Indy 500 Short on Cars  (Read 1778 times)

Offline cosworth151

Indy 500 Short on Cars
« on: April 05, 2007, 12:19:29 PM »
It looks like the Indianapolis 500 won't make its traditional field of 33 starters this year. The deadline for entries is an April 4th postmark. As of now, there are only 27 entries. 7 of those are without drivers. Maybe I should dust off my helmet and run over there!

Even in the lean days right after the split with CART (now Champ Car), the 500 still pulled a full field. This is just the latest example of how the split is destroying open wheel racing in the U.S.

This might be why NASCAR is doing so well. It is the only branch of the sport that hasn't split. Open wheel (IndyCar/Champ Car) sports endurance (ALMS/Grand American) and even drag racing (NHRA/IHRA) all have two series competing for a finite number of cars.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

davewilson

Re: Indy 500 Short on Cars
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 12:31:50 PM »
Sounds like it is going down the pan cosworth.
My godfather lives within walking distance of the circuit and often watches them testing.It would be great if you made a comeback,but i bet the cost has gone up since you were racing.

The Stig

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 06:58:08 PM »
You should come over for the GP!

Costs always go up. I bought my first race team for $450. - Car, trailer, some spares and helmet and a beat-up driving suit. The car had just been rolled. The best looking part was the helmet. Metalflake purple with bright yellow goggles.

MOst of my racing was small time. Raced once at the speedway at Indy. It was a Segway through cones thing. I won a Michelin Man bobblehead!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 07:19:17 PM »
ABC tries to build up bubble day,which in reality
there is no bubble

Michael Andretti tries long enough and the
starting grid gets small enough, he may
just win his 500

Cos when do you think it was evident the 500
was becoming less than 1st class,to me it's
when Buddy Lazier won,he has always been a
mid pack runner at best before the split
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 02:17:56 PM »
I think it would have been around then. When teams started putting any driver they could get in their test cars just to make the 33.
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle