collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 287
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: First Arabian F1 Driver  (Read 618 times)

Offline Wizzo

First Arabian F1 Driver
« on: April 19, 2007, 11:24:46 AM »

It takes more than just talent to make it big in Formula One. Basil Sha’aban, the Arab World’s best bet at making it to the top level of circuit racing, knows that and says while India’s Narain Karthikeyan had oodles of talent, there were more variables involved which forced him out after one season.

“I have followed Narain’s progress closely and I know he is a talented driver.

There are many variables involved in Formula One. Barring the top three or four teams which consider a driver just on his abilities alone, the teams below will recruit you even if you are not good enough. All you need is enough money to sponsor yourself. Basil Sha'aban, Lebanese F3 Driver

“He is quick and has a lot of racing acumen. I don’t know what really happened after his one-year stint with Jordan in 2005.

“What I do know is that there are many variables involved in Formula One which may have been the reason for his exit.

“Barring the top three or four teams which consider a driver just on his abilities alone, the teams below them will take you even if you are not good enough. All you need is enough money to sponsor yourself,” he said.

The Jordan team was taken over and renamed Midland for the 2006 season and the management change prompted Karthikeyan to quit because he couldn’t meet their demands that he pay as much as $11.7 million (Dh43 million) to secure his seat on the team.

So, does Shaba’an, who signed a two-year deal with Shell to sponsor him for the Formula 3 Euro series for two years, think he can make it to Formula One just on his abilities? “My dream is to practise on Friday in Abu Dhabi in 2009. My realistic target is to make it to Formula One in 2010.

“I hope to make it there on my abilities alone,” he said.

Sha’aban left for Hockenheim on Tuesday night to take part in the first race of the Formula 3 Euro Series which will be held on April 21-22.

His car is the Dallara Mercedes Benz prepared by Austrian-based HBR Motor-sport, who are an established race-winning team in the F3 Euro series. In 2009, Sha’aban plans to graduate to the GP2 Series, which is the official F1 support series, his launch pad in his bid to secure a drive in F1.

On The Fast Track

Lebanese Basil Sha’aban, 27, has been racing for seven years and driving for the A1 Team Lebanon for the past two years. He has 10 F3 races lined up starting with the first in Hockenheim on April 21-22. In 2009, he plans to move to GP2 series and then to F1 the following year.

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle