collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 448
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Kimi:it's not over yet  (Read 3512 times)

Offline Steven Roy

Re: Kimi:it's not over yet
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 08:44:31 PM »
I keep hearing the tyre argument and I have to say I think it is complete garbage.

Alonso is struggling because he is driving a different car on different tyres.  Hamilton isn't struggling despite having zero F1 experience apart from a few test days at the begining of the season.  By any resonable measure it has to be more of a handicap to have to learn everything than it is to have to learn new tyres.  The tyres may behave differently but Lewis is having to cope with a car that is more capable in every way than anything he has raced before.  He is driving races that are longer than he has driven before and he is having to cope with having a different car at every track because of the development rate in F1.  That has to be much more difficult that having to deal with different tyre characteristics.

Offline romephius

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2007, 01:41:27 AM »
I couldn't agree more there Steven......I personally think Alonso is not a true 'great' he was just in the right place at the right time with the right car and that's it.  If you compared Alonsos telemetry to MS or even Kimis, you would notice that both MS and Kimi were quite smooth on the acceleration and braking, Alonso is very much reliant on traction control, he is just simply not a smooth driver and the MacLaren is a car that seems to respond to fluidity.....

but as always I could be wrong

Rom

Offline johnbull

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2007, 08:56:02 AM »
I don't wish to make an argument of this, but my 2 favorite drivers, Jim Clark and Ronnie Peterson were exact opposites as far as driving style goes. Jimmy was smooth as silk, Ronnie always sideways. I am sure you'll all agree they are both among the world's top half dozen in terms of greatness.

Nando's style is more like Ronnie's - he tweeks a car into a corner. Lewis, Kimi, Michael (look at it again, putting Lewis in such illustrious company) persuade it smoothly into a corner. I can't say that one or the other is better, or the right one.

Back down to earth, my brother and I are exactly the same. Four or 5 seasons ago we did a couple of seasons of hill climbing using the same car. Spectators could always tell which of us was driving by the driving style. We always produced absolutely identical times, yet I was always very smooth and economical but David was always like an accident waiting to happen. Here's an example, though he has relatively little opposite lock on here.

I wouldn't like to say which one of us was correct.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2007, 05:41:07 PM »
Sideways is more fun!  :D
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2007, 02:40:44 PM »
After all of the years I raced on dirt, I thought the only way to turn a race car left was with the steering at full right lock! ::)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2007, 03:21:20 PM »
I learned to drive in a rear-engined car (Renault Dauphine).  I used to nag my mom until she let me take it, then spend all my time putting it sideways through the corners.  Man, that car was fun!

Amazingly, I never pranged it...

Offline Dare

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »
I learned to drive in a rear-engined car (Renault Dauphine).  I used to nag my mom until she let me take it, then spend all my time putting it sideways through the corners.  Man, that car was fun!

Chameleon,my first car was a Dauphine.I never could
get it going fast enough to get it sideways :D
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline johnbull

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2007, 03:33:30 PM »

You must have had some really rotten tyres.

A couple of my friends used to try getting sideways and ended up put Dauphines on their roof. Now that was easy!

You know what I like most about this forum? You guys keep bringing back so many happy memories. :yahoo:
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2007, 03:37:42 PM »
When I was on the track team in high scool, a buddy of mine had a Dauphine. Our warm-up fo practie was usually pushing it down the high school drive to try to get it started.

Cos
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2007, 03:57:56 PM »

Chameleon,my first car was a Dauphine.I never could
get it going fast enough to get it sideways :D

You may have a point, Dare.  Gordini were the great Renault engine tuners at the time and the rocker cover of my mom's Dauphine had this big 'G' on it.  I reckoned someone had made a mistake and fitted the car with a Gordini engine at some point.  But it was fast, whatever the truth.  Raced it against a friend in a Ford Anglia (Remember them?  The reverse slope rear window?  Hahaha) and absolutely murdered him.

The tyres were probably crap too but they all were in those days.  :D

How you put a Dauphine on its roof, I'll never know.  It was a wonderful slider, just throw it at the corner, quick flip of the steering wheel to get it sideways, and then control it with opposite lock.  I spun it a few times but never came close to turning it upside down.

A few years later I was looking for a car and the chance of a very secondhand Dauphine came up.  Memories flooded back and I had to have that car, even though it was in terrible condition.

And yes, I ended up pushing it further than I ever drove it...  ;)

Offline raindancer

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2007, 10:58:55 AM »
To the Topic ! Is it over for Kimi or not ?
Don't Fight Forces ! Use them

Offline Dare

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2007, 02:15:32 PM »
To the Topic ! Is it over for Kimi or not ?

Last year everyone thought Alonso had it wrapped up early
but Michael gave him a run for his money,So Raindancer,
no I don't think it's over for Kimi

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle