collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 395
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Random Images  (Read 9411 times)

Offline f1box

Random Images
« on: June 25, 2007, 11:28:37 AM »
Is there any need to have such a preponderance of 'pit babe' photos coming up in the Random Images sidebar.

Totally gratuitous and naff all to do with motor-racing.

It's the sort of thing which detracts from this being a serious site.

David

"Racing is life ....... everything before and after is just waiting"

www.f1box.co.uk - independent motorsport memorabilia retailer

Offline Wizzo

Re: Random Images
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 12:01:44 PM »

Hi David,

Yes I know what you mean but remember the images are totally random and the more images members add to the galleries the less pit babes you'll see.

We welcome all members pictures so feel free to start posting your pics.

Wiz
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Ian

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 07:48:34 AM »
Oh God, not pc on here too now, nothing wrong with pit babes, nothing at all !!!
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline f1box

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 09:13:37 AM »
Oh God, not pc on here too now, nothing wrong with pit babes, nothing at all !!!

Not a question of being pc

It's a question of whether I want to view pictures of scantily clad girls, who are the same age as my daughter, on  a site about motorsport.

As your profile shows you to be more than a dozen years my senior, you may want to consider the same appropriateness in you wanting to view pictures of provocatively dressed women potentially young enough to be your grand daughter!

I might want to make an additional comment about how the objectification of women within the promotion of motorsport makes it more difficult for talented women drivers to attract funds and sponsorship to aid their development and progress though the ranks ....... but I feel the point maybe lost!

David

Offline romephius

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 09:33:17 AM »
While you may make a valid point for your age group, I and many other members are of an age that would not view the pit babes as inappropriate.  You may have noticed at many (all motorsport) races there is an abundance of scantily clad women parading about...whether in an official capacity or not....  Might I offer this alternatative view of having the pit babe pictures....perhaps we aren't objectifying these lovely ladies, but, instead, paying homage to the difficult situation that some of these women deal with in the promotion of motorsport....would you be just as offended if there were pit studs????  Women drivers have just as much chance to succeed as any man...and there are plenty of sponsors that have no problem sponsoring women.  Besides, wouldn't you class sponsorship of anyone a form of exploitation.

Just some thoughts F1Box.....and as everyone knows I could be wrong....but that is what I think about the situation.

Rom

Offline Ian

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 09:59:39 AM »
f1box, I also have a daughter(30), and I know it would not offend her, can I suggest you do not enlarge them when your daughter is present. Scantily clad female/male images are a part of life, I fail myself to see how a female in a bikini can sell a tube of toothpaste but someone obviously does. All my daughter would say is " wish I had a figure like that ". If the images were topless or worse then I would wholeheartedly agree as this site is suitable for any age group, I also have a 9yo son and am quite happy to let him click onto GPWizard as I am secure in the knowledge that he will see nothing offensive, he is not altogether into f1 yet(working on it tho') but he does enjoy reading the harmless, good natured banter that happens on here. This is THE best forum type website that that I have found and I pray that it does'nt change, it has a superb group of members from around the world who all gel and get on. Long live the Wizard !!

Offline f1box

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 10:18:02 AM »
Rom:

ffs where is this going! the intention was not to start a debate about this. The original point was that the preponderance of images deflects from this being a 'serious' site - I did not state that I took 'offence'

Wiz has offered a solution in that we post more photos to lessen the impact - something I am doing (though for some reason the site doesn't like my .jpg files at the moment and keeps rejecting them).

My reaction to Ian's comment is solely because he inferred that I was being 'PC' (I know it's stupid to take any comment on a message board personally , but there you go!).

I don't have time to get into a full debate on who is exploiting who but in general terms, I would argue that, sponsorship is an agreement for both parties to mutually exploit each other (unless you want to take the Marxist perspective).

The assertion that 'we' aren't objectifying these women (lovely ladies) may hold true - but not in the eyes of the promoters and marketing people who want them there as eye candy to draw the attention of eager males and to 'sex up' their products!

I can't lay my hands on it at the moment, but I am sure there was a report out last year about women in motorsport - which concluded that it is still more difficult for women (in general) to attract sponsorship and to make it past the club/junior formula. If memory serves Autosport ran a double paged article on it.

added the following as Ian replied before I originally posted this

Ian:

Sex doesn't sell things to me either!
and thanks for the enlargement tip, I didn't know I could do that! lol

As I've said above, the images don't offend me - nor would they offend my 21 year old nor would anything I have seen here disuade me from letting my 10 and 8 year olds come on the site.

I was originally commenting on the ratio of glamour shots to more race related shots coming up in the sidebar. I'm of the view that if something makes a site look like FHM, Nuts or any other 'Lad's Mag' it isn't to be taken seriously.

I shan't be posting further replies to this thread as I'd rather talk about cars!

David
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 10:37:22 AM by f1box »

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 02:05:13 AM »

Wiz has offered a solution in that we post more photos to lessen the impact - something I am doing (though for some reason the site doesn't like my .jpg files at the moment and keeps rejecting them).

f1box-

I've found that if the .jpg is too big, it causes problems. I try to reduce them to the 300 to 500 k range.

Looking forward to more pix!

Cos
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline johnbull

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 10:59:02 AM »
I think I have to admit that even at my ripe old age I am still quite partial to the occasional pic of a good pair of airbags. Come in pit babe 137 :yahoo:

I'm enjoying this forum imensely because it has serious, intelligent, and yet sometimes wonderfully humerous content. And I don't mind the odd babe looking lustfully at me. Wishful thinking, and good for the ego I suppose.

But I also very much enjoy the pics of the cars. I think Wiz has managed to provide us with a very balanced selection, and the best F1 forum I have come across yet.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline raindancer

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 02:03:09 PM »
I think this is a non issue. I hardly see them and i haven't clicked on a pic till now. I am 39. :) I intend to but there are more sites out there for the voyuer.
Don't Fight Forces ! Use them

Offline johnbull

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 04:04:44 PM »
Pit babe 121. A perfect example of flexible ti..... errr sorry .... wings. :yahoo:

I don't look at them either. 8)
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Mike_Grimsby

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 10:58:04 PM »
I think the random images are just fine  :good:
I was 'Mr Sensible'. Now I'm just plain old Mike :)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 08:12:38 PM »
I've put some photos from when I went to Autosport in January. Three of them actually involve cars, and no scantily-clad people are featured, so I think this may help counterbalance the 200+ pit babes in the gallery.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Ian

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 11:01:35 PM »
CARS ? on here, sacrilege, should'nt be allowed.  >:D

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 11:06:19 PM »
I've put some photos from when I went to Autosport in January. Three of them actually involve cars, and no scantily-clad people are featured, so I think this may help counterbalance the 200+ pit babes in the gallery.

200+ ? There are only 128. (Not that I've looked at them all ;) ) Anyway, it's good to have another shutterbug on board, Alianora La Canta!

Cos
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle