collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 532
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Is Alonso playing dirty to undermine Lewis?  (Read 993 times)

Offline Dare

Is Alonso playing dirty to undermine Lewis?
« on: July 12, 2007, 12:56:36 PM »

Thursday 12th July 2007

Fernando Alonso has been accused of playing dirty by deliberately confusing Lewis Hamilton over set-up.

In an intriguing twist to the in-house McLaren battle for the World Championship, it is suggested that Alonso has adopted a policy of go-slow on Fridays in order to effectively sabotage his team-mate's prospects of victory.

Since being promoted to the role of race driver at McLaren, the British rookie has made no secret of his tendency to copy Fernando's set-up, but, it is alleged, he has now been sent down a dead-end by the cunning Spaniard.

Following his defeat at Indianapolis, where he topped the timesheets in all three practive sessions as well as the first two qualifying stints, Alonso's performances on Friday at both Magny-Cours and Silverstone have been been notably tardy.

In France, the double World Champion finished the opening day in a lowly eighth, whilst in Britain he was similarly uncompetitive, setting the sixth-fastest lap time of the day, almost a full second slower than pacesetter Kimi Raikkonen. On the Saturday, however, he immediately bounced back, recording a lap time in qualifying that was considerably faster than Hamilton's once fuel levels had been taken into account.

"On Saturday I went faster than Hamilton but then with less fuel in the tank he was able to win pole, and it seemed that there was a big party," Alonso reflected smugly. "Because of that, finishing ahead of him tastes even sweeter. Since Canada I have been a lot quicker than him."

To ensure harmony within the team, Ron Dennis has ordered both drivers to attend debriefings together, as well as share telemetry. Yet it could be that Hamilton has been sent a dummy at the past two events.

The youngster bemoaned his set-up after his deflating performance at Silverstone, and it is also claimed that he made a critical error when he misdiagnosed oversteer at his first pit stop during Sunday's race.

'Lewis called for a bit less front grip, which was achieved through amended tyre pressures and a front wing adjustment, but he got it wrong - on the middle stint the car understeered badly,' reported ITV's Ted Kravitz.

'The tyres started to grain and as they lost more and more grip, the fronts started to lock up under braking, which compounded the problem.

'Lewis also had a different rear suspension to Fernando that wasn't as kind to the tyres, and lost him more speed. The question is whether that was Lewis' choice, or whether there was only one new suspension available, and Alonso got it first.'

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Chameleon

Re: Is Alonso playing dirty to undermine Lewis?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 04:57:40 PM »
Who would blame Alonso if it were true?  To see a newbie come in and start getting all the credit when he's using all your settings must be incredibly galling.  Alonso gained his skill at setting up the car through experience and hard work - let Hamilton do the same.
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline raindancer

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 06:29:33 PM »
I think I agree. Let Hamilton learn of his own accord. Why should he copy Alonso's setup and cry when he is not able to copy.
Don't Fight Forces ! Use them

Offline Ian

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 07:25:36 PM »
Welcome to F1 Lewis, some dogs are bigger and hungrier, it's a hard life ain't it.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle