F1 News & Discussions > F1 History

Jim Clark

(1/3) > >>

Dare:
Hope some of you old timers,me included like
this J clark vid.My 1st favorite driver

http://youtube.com/watch?v=00lKVg-TJr4&mode=related&search=

johnbull:
Great one again Dare. Where are you digging these out from.

Jim Clark has always been my all time favorite. I watched him win at the British GP at Silverstone in 67 with the Lotus 49 Cosworth.

You could say Clark, Chapman and Lotus 25 are my top 3 F1 words. What a superb combination they were.

Dare:
I always wondered if Clark had'nt died,would
he have stayed with Chapman his entire career

johnbull:

--- Quote from: dare on July 04, 2007, 09:59:37 PM ---I always wondered if Clark had'nt died,would
he have stayed with Chapman his entire career

--- End quote ---
More than likely. He was that sort of decent fella.

I was in Syracuse waiting for calm waters to sail a boat down to Malta when I spotted an Autosprint magazine on a book stall with the heading Morto Clark - Clark is dead. I just stood there in disbelief. I bought a copy, read it and cried.

I still have that copy today. So sad, and such a loss.

Steven Roy:
I really enjoyed that. 

Given the weight of on board cameras at that time the car must have been a pig to drive but he is so precise with it.  The on board footage is from Oulton Park presumably done in the build up to a non-championship race. 

Would he have stayed at Lotus? I am not sure where else he may have gone  Chapman was in his pomp and had Clark driven a few more years he would have probably won the championship in 1968 and had every chance of winning the 1970 championship as well. 

I can't remember who wrote the biography I read about him.  I must dig it out again.  Aparently he only took the drive at Hochenheim because he had not received written confirmation of an invitation to drive in a sportscar race on the same day.  I think he was supposed to driver for Alan Mann maybe in South Africa.  It seems strange to think that one of the major factors in the death of the greatest driver of his generation was a simple clerical error.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version