collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 379
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 'Something is Wrong With Hamilton'  (Read 1916 times)

The Stig

'Something is Wrong With Hamilton'
« on: July 15, 2007, 10:17:47 PM »
Former grand prix driver and F1 analyst Martin Brundle has hit out at the sport's struggling teams.

The Briton, who drove more than 150 races in F1 including for McLaren in 1994, reserved his most biting scrutiny for Toyota and Spyker, whose involvement in the sport baffles him. 

"It's difficult to see what Toyota are achieving in F1," Brundle wrote in the Sunday Times, criticising the Japanese giant for using a "huge budget" for poor pace and reliability.

He said: "It's going to take a sea change of attitude to make that any different."

On the other end of the budgetary scale is the backmarker Spyker, for whom Brundle predicts a dim future.

"I don't quite understand what they are doing in F1," he said.

"Their owners have all the hallmarks of people who are just passing through. It's difficult to see how they can move forward."

Brundle manages Red Bull's David Coulthard but he says the energy-drink owned team have gone down the wrong path with the woefully-unreliable seamless gearbox.

"They should really have bought that technology in rather than do it themselves," he said.

Countryman Brundle even dares to pore over rookie sensation Lewis Hamilton's season, observing that the McLaren driver "slipped badly off the pace" at F1's two recent grands prix.

He said: "Something is wrong there. I don't know whether it's the distractions or pressure or just coincidence, but Hamilton needs to get his programme back on track at the Nurburgring next weekend.

"At Silverstone it was explained away as saving the engine, but when you are chasing a championship you must stay right on your rivals, pressuring them into errors, and ready to pounce if they have contact or reliability problems in the closing stages."

Offline Dare

Re: 'Something is Wrong With Hamilton'
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 10:29:31 PM »
I think Hamiltons downfall may be in not
copying Alonsos race setups
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

The Stig

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 10:41:05 PM »
I think they were both told to turn down the wick to preserve engines.Ferrari were in front and all the diagnostics said that they could not catch or win the race.
Save The Engines...

Offline Dare

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 10:54:29 PM »
That's true Stig,but don't you thinh Alonso's
been sandbagging a little on Fri. pratice so
Lewis isn't getting his good setups
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

The Stig

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 11:12:14 PM »
No,I think they called the race wrong from the start.
The tyre choice was wrong from the start,and from then on things could only degrade,like the tyres.
I would blame the Team rather than the drivers.
With the way Hamilton has been going,i dont think you can say he has the wrong set-up.

Offline johnbull

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 09:34:11 AM »
OK so whether we believe it or not, if drivers deliberately go slow to save their engines, then isn't this another clear reflection of how daft the 2 race engine rule is?

I was always thought that your right foot should always be hard on the throttle or hard on the brakes. Any time it isn't, you're wasting time.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

FW14B

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 12:19:21 PM »
I agree with what you're saying Johnbull, F1 should not be about saving engines, especially not at your home Grand Prix as was the case with Lewis. 

However, I think in relation to the main article, Brundle always talks sense and I think this is the case again. 

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 05:16:07 PM »
I think the idea about Hamilton using Alonso's settings comes from one of 'Nando's interviews with a Spanish newspaper.  Apparently he excused his performances by saying that he did all the setting up and then the settings were transferred to Hamilton's car.  This led to speculation that Alonso has been sandbagging in Friday practice for the last few races, thereby preventing Hamilton from getting the best settings and forcing the newbie to set up his own car.

There may be some truth in this for it has been admitted that Hamilton has been getting it wrong of late.  And, if it is true, who can blame 'Nando?  Let the new boy learn his trade...  ;)
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline johnbull

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 05:34:58 PM »
Frankly I have my doubts about all this.

Surely at the end of the day the engineers, who are working for the team and couldn't give a dried fig who of their drivers wins so long as one of them does, would set up the cars as best they can, so if driver A is having difficulty and driver B isn't, they would set driver A's car with driver B's set up, and try again, wouldn't they?

Or am I so old fashioned that I still think you can mix the words sport and formula 1 in the same sentence?
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 05:57:25 PM »
As I understand it, John, F1 teams have two sets of engineers, one for each driver, and they work very closely with their designated driver.  You will even find that members of a driver's "team" will follow him to a new team at times.  Everyone will support the employing constructor, of course, but, when it comes to competition between team mates, they can be quite partisan.  After all, he carries their reputation with him as well as his own.

In McLaren's case, Ron Dennis has been scrupulously fair, insisting that the settings and telemetry of both drivers be available for all to see (or so we're told).  The trouble is, Alonso's are worth something, whereas Hamilton is still learning...
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 06:08:34 PM »
We need to remember that, as good as Hamilton is, he is still a rookie. At Silverstone, he almost pulled out with the fuel rig still conected, like Albers in France. I think he just needs to settle down a little and he'll be fine.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline raindancer

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 08:20:45 AM »
Nothing is wrong with Hamilton according to me. Its just that he is getting on the learning curve. Regarding Spyker, Toro Rosso and the others. Running a team is a potential exit model. Toyota are there to win and they will, however amount of time and money it takes. Toyota seem to be in a better position than Honda anyway.
Don't Fight Forces ! Use them

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle