collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 297
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1 is not a trade mark  (Read 1008 times)

Offline Wizzo

F1 is not a trade mark
« on: July 24, 2007, 03:11:47 PM »

Formula One Licensing has failed in a bid to gain exclusive control of the descriptor 'F1'.

FOL, which is the brand exploitation division of the Formula One group run by Bernie Ecclestone, made a trademark application for the abbreviation for a range of goods to the UK Trademark Registry.

The application was opposed by the French racing website Racing-Live SA.

Autoweek reports that the UK Trademark Registry ruled against FOL, citing the definition of the 'F1' abbreviation on the influential online encyclopedia Wikipedia.

The judge agreed with Racing-Live that 'F1' is indeed a generic term.

"The evidence, furnished by both sides, in no way suggests that the ordinary, original meaning of 'F1', as a type of motorcar race and as a description of the cars that compete in it, has been displaced," David Landau explained.

He added: "I do not see that a group currently having the exclusive rights to the commercial exploitation of F1, under the auspice of the FIA, alters that."

"The evidence shows that F1 is not registrable as a trademark."

This is really annoying as the FOL threatened to sue me if I did not change the name of this site (it was originally called F1Wizard) even though I was promoting the sport with no financial gain. I also know of several other sites who have closed under legal pressure from the FOL over the use of the term F1!! >:D

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Chameleon

Re: F1 is not a trade mark
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 05:02:49 PM »
It is good news, however, Wizard, although I can understand how annoying it must be for you.  The way F1 is owned by huge corporations with no real interest in the sport is just wrong in my view and this is a small victory for the little guy.  F1 really belongs to those who participate in the races and the fans who have supported it through its long history.  The fact that faceless investment companies now make obscene profits from the sport is at the heart of all that is wrong with F1.
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline f1box

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 05:38:47 PM »
Hoorah!

Last time I looked at the trademark site, this application was pending - guess what that stopped me doing!

Noticed this reported in a sidebar in Autosport last week (about ¾ of column inches) - I wouldn't expect Autosport to make to much of a deal about it though (I consider Haymarket to be one only vaguely distinguishable from the devil incarnate!). Whereas I think it has great implications for fans (consumers), particpants and other interested parties alike.

On a separate tack I noticed our forum advertised in the Autosport web directory last week. It may be interesting to compare notes at somepoint, Wiz, as I avertised in the same place last year. Currently I only run my ad in Motorsport each month.

Oh! and I've finally gotten around to linking to here from my site's links list (quality over quantity, you see!).

David

"Racing is life ....... everything before and after is just waiting"

www.f1box.co.uk - independent motorsport memorabilia retailer

Offline Ian

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 09:21:17 PM »
So Wiz, when we going back to being F1Wizard ?
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle