collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 607
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Jim Clark  (Read 4753 times)

Offline Dare

Jim Clark
« on: July 04, 2007, 09:15:04 PM »
Hope some of you old timers,me included like
this J clark vid.My 1st favorite driver

http://youtube.com/watch?v=00lKVg-TJr4&mode=related&search=

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline johnbull

Re: Jim Clark
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 09:25:45 PM »
Great one again Dare. Where are you digging these out from.

Jim Clark has always been my all time favorite. I watched him win at the British GP at Silverstone in 67 with the Lotus 49 Cosworth.

You could say Clark, Chapman and Lotus 25 are my top 3 F1 words. What a superb combination they were.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 09:59:37 PM »
I always wondered if Clark had'nt died,would
he have stayed with Chapman his entire career
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline johnbull

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 10:06:03 PM »
I always wondered if Clark had'nt died,would
he have stayed with Chapman his entire career
More than likely. He was that sort of decent fella.

I was in Syracuse waiting for calm waters to sail a boat down to Malta when I spotted an Autosprint magazine on a book stall with the heading Morto Clark - Clark is dead. I just stood there in disbelief. I bought a copy, read it and cried.

I still have that copy today. So sad, and such a loss.
Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 11:51:17 PM »
I really enjoyed that. 

Given the weight of on board cameras at that time the car must have been a pig to drive but he is so precise with it.  The on board footage is from Oulton Park presumably done in the build up to a non-championship race. 

Would he have stayed at Lotus? I am not sure where else he may have gone  Chapman was in his pomp and had Clark driven a few more years he would have probably won the championship in 1968 and had every chance of winning the 1970 championship as well. 

I can't remember who wrote the biography I read about him.  I must dig it out again.  Aparently he only took the drive at Hochenheim because he had not received written confirmation of an invitation to drive in a sportscar race on the same day.  I think he was supposed to driver for Alan Mann maybe in South Africa.  It seems strange to think that one of the major factors in the death of the greatest driver of his generation was a simple clerical error.

Offline johnbull

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 08:54:28 AM »
Unlike modern day prima donnas, Gp drivers in those days drove anything they could lay their hands on.

At the British GP in 1967, which I attended as a guest of Dunlop when they officially opened the Dunlop tower at Woodcote, Clark drove the Lotus 30 sports car in the morning, and won. He then drove the Lotus 49 in the GP, which he also won.

As if that wasn't enough he then jumped into a Lotus Cortina, as did Graham Hill, and they had the mother and father of 3 wheeling battles round Silverstone GP circuit in the saloon car race.

Oh, and Clark won that too.
Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 03:58:28 PM »
Fantastic Video, Dare!

I decame an F1 fan watching JIm Clark and his Lotus on the old ABC Wide World of Sports. It was just black and white highlights a week or two after the race, but that was enough.

I once heard an interview with Jackie Stewart talking about Clark. He said that he was inspecting a new circuit in Spain, designed with gaurdrails, when he heard of Clark's death. He hit the trees. JYS said that he couldn't help but think how different it would have been if they had had gaurdrails in place at the track in Germany.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline johnbull

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 04:00:41 PM »
I watched that video too.

So true, and so sad.
Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Dare

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 01:20:05 AM »
One thing I like about this forum is how the members
enjoy the f1 of old as well as the new :good:

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 01:00:05 PM »
One thing I like about this forum is how the members
enjoy the f1 of old as well as the new :good:

Agreed 100%.
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline Ian

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 09:52:45 PM »
Too true Dare, if you like f1 tho', does it matter what year it is as most have some epics.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline johnbull

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 10:02:26 PM »
What worries me about today's F1 is that everything about it is becoming so ... synthetic.
Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Dare

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 10:11:31 PM »
When did f1 become a follow leader racing?

Was it any pariicular year or tech improvement
every year gradual leading up to it

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle