F1 News & Discussions > F1 History

The Vagaries of Memory

(1/4) > >>

Chameleon:
One of my favourite stories from the past concerns Sterling Moss and Mike Hawthorn.  I can't remember what year it was, sometime in the late fifties I think, but it happened at Le Mans at the beginning of the race.  Maybe someone with a better memory than mine can supply the missing details.

In those days, of course, the 24 hour race was started with the famous "Le Mans start" - the cars were lined up on one side of the start/finish straight with the drivers in a line on the other side of the road.  When the flag dropped, the drivers would sprint across the road, leap into their cars and off they'd go (What, safety harnesses?  What are those?).  It was chaotic and highly dangerous - some photos show drivers strolling across the road while others raced for all they were worth.

Mike and Sterling had qualified near the front (I forget what cars they were driving) but Mike had been studying the rules the previous night and noticed a loophole.  When the drivers were all lined up, Mike ran for his car long before the flag dropped.  Realising what was happening, Sterling yelled, "You bastard, Mike!" and also leapt into action.  The rest watched in amazement as the two jumped into their cars and set off; then the flag dropped and the usual chaos ensued.

Mike had noticed that nowhere in the rules did it say that drivers had to wait for the flag to drop once they were lined up.  So he took it literally and went as soon as the line had formed.  And Sterling wasn't about to let him get the jump on him like that, so he went too.

As far as I know, neither driver was penalised for the stunt but I reckon the flaw in the rules was covered for the following year!

romephius:
Great story there Chameleon....it just goes to show the details really DO matter...

:DD

Rom

johnbull:
A perfect example of the competitive spirit that exists in real racers.

On a much more amateur note I noticed this myself lately. A group of old racers - literally, oldest was 74 and youngest was my brother at 58 - decided to get together for an evening of Karting, followed by a meal.

There were 10 of us on the grid, but as soon as the starter waved the flag we were away and doing absolutely everything to try and gain positions. It was like going back 40 years. Second just wasn't good enough, and with my heart condition it perhaps wasn't the most sensible thing for me to be doing, but I really couldn't believe how that competitive urge suddenly was right there again taking over from common sense.

We all suffered for the next week or so with stiff backs, necks, shoulders, arms. In fact stiff everything except what we can only dream about these days. :yahoo:

Like the saying goes, you don't stop playing when you get old; you get old when you stop playing.

I can't wait for the next kart meeting.

The Stig:
Hope this helps the topic.

stirling moss and mike hawthorn le mans 50s

Stig

The Stig:
Another great site for Hawthorn
http://www.mike-hawthorn.org.uk/pathe.php
Great to bookmark.

Stig

Navigation

[0] Message Index