collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 187
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16182 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13028 Posts
John S John S
11302 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Driverless Motorsport  (Read 2053 times)

Offline Wizzo

Driverless Motorsport
« on: March 29, 2007, 09:04:28 AM »

Imagine if you will a touring car which can race around a track at stunning speeds without the aid of a driver.

Well imagine no more as Seat Sport UK has designed just such a car and they believe that it is the future of motor racing.

The jumbo remote-controlled car uses a system of cameras, microphones and computers to help the controller as he navigates it around the track.

Known as the Leon Touring Car, the vehicle is already being touted as worthy of appearing in real races against real drivers and a recent test saw it record a lap time quicker than that of Seat's top human racers.

"This amazing car's development has been a huge learning curve," said Scott Dennis, Seat UK motorsport manager. "But we are now at the stage where it could soon be used in a touring car race - maybe even as soon as Sunday April 1st, which is the very first race of the season at Brands Hatch.

"This Leon is so rapid I'm beginning to question if I'll need drivers at all next year."

Competitors point out that the Leon has a very big weight advantage compared to other cars and would want a penalty put in place if it is allowed to compete.

Could this be the start of driverless motorsport?

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline cosworth151

Re: Driverless Motorsport
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 11:58:12 AM »
The only problem is that they have to dig a slot all the way around the circuit! :crazy:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline romephius

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 12:54:12 PM »
I couldn't think of anything more boring than that  :bored: then motorsport nay-sayers would truly be right, it would just be a case of watching cars go round in circles, the human element is what makes the sport so good, it's the competition of who has the guts to pull of a risky move or can get the most out of a car with less performance

Just my thoughts though

Rom

Offline Ian

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 07:27:23 PM »
 :DD Nice try Wizard, do they have that day in Aussie or the States.  :good:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline johnbull

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 07:07:20 PM »
Remote controlled cars are nothing new. We have raced them for years, both here in Malta and abroad.

My son has been national on road champion for 8 years with cars I built for him, and he actually took part in the world championships in 98.

Every year in the last 5 years we have competed in Europe's biggest on road RC meeting, the K O Grand Prix held at West London Racing Centre in England.

I can confirm that a modern RC car responds to settings in just the same way as a real car. All parameters are adjustable, camber, caster, toe in, ride height, ackerman, wheelbase, steering throw, kick up. Even wing design and angle makes a hell of a difference.

Then of course there's tyres. it's even more of a headache than F1 with so many different compounds and constructions of tyres, rigidity of wheels, and a mass of different inserts.

Here's a pic of Josh and myself at our pit table at last year's KO Gp.

There are plenty more pics at www.wlrc.co.uk

Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle