collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 395
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Quote of the race Hungry  (Read 4544 times)

Offline Dare

Quote of the race Hungry
« on: August 26, 2007, 11:03:34 PM »
over heard on Honda team radio

Ruebens is told by pit that Button thinks he is
two seconds faster,to which Ruebens says
"don't make me laugh"
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 03:00:12 AM by dare »

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Chameleon

Re: Quote of the race Hungry
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 03:03:11 AM »
Yes, I enjoyed that one too.  I guess you have to retain a sense of humor if you're driving for Honda this year, however.
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline rmassart

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 06:25:18 AM »
Not sure if this was quoted in the race, but the BBC have Alonso quoted as saying:

"I remember the car I drove and the results they had in 2006 and now I brought to the team half a second, six-tenths, whatever, and I don't see anything giving me back. That's the only thing."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/6964547.stm

How about 35 million dollars (or whatever your wage is) and a car destined to win the World Championship? Dear FA, this is what McLaren are paying you for!!!

BTW, the title should be "Quote of the race TURKEY" :)

Offline raindancer

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 08:50:46 AM »
 :yahoo: This guy is funny
Don't Fight Forces ! Use them

Offline johnbull

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 03:04:19 PM »
He's been going on about how the car has found half a second a lap since he joined.

Did he really expect them to go backwards? Besides, there are others in the team struggling to improve the car and they're not all on 35 million.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 03:20:57 PM »
David Hobbs had a bit of fun with that quote from Alonso, too. On the Speed TV coverage, he said that if Alonso brought six-tenths, Hamilton brought seven.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 04:21:17 PM »
Fernando seems to have a knack of saying things in a way that offends British ears.  What he meant by that statement was that he was an important part of the team that has made the McLaren so competitive this year - and the implication is that not all drivers could have supplied that much input.  In fact, it's the old complaint that he gives more input to the engineers than does Hamilton (thus negating what David Hobbs said) and yet receives no recognition for that.

I feel for Nando in his situation.  He is feeling aggrieved that still McLaren refuse to favour either driver and is driven to point out the extra contributions that he makes that apparently go unrecognised.  He would be better advised to accept that life is like that and just get on with the job but I can forgive him that he finds that impossible to do.  It is in his nature (and perhaps a weakness) that he broods on things and then bursts out with protests against the unfairness of the world.  But he still drives well.

Offline johnbull

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 06:23:20 PM »
It is in his nature (and perhaps a weakness) that he broods on things and then bursts out with protests against the unfairness of the world.  But he still drives well.
I agree, it's in his nature. I also agree that he drives bloody well.

Does he finally take the crown for Grand Prix Wingher from Mansell? :yahoo:
Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline raindancer

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 06:28:14 PM »
IMO the quote of the race came from Kimi. When asked "why did he put in the fastest lap of the race just two laps from the end ?"
He answered
It was getting boring there, so its something to do.
WOW
Don't Fight Forces ! Use them

Offline johnbull

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 06:33:56 PM »
Yes, I read that too.

Brilliant. Ice cool Kimi at his best.
He was so much quicker than Massa yesterday, and made it a point of putting his money where his mouth is.

Shame cars aren't allowed to overtake in today's Formula 1. After all it is the pinnacle of motor racing, or so someone said.

Give me GP2 anyday for excitement.
Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 07:06:29 PM »
Who could ever dethrone Mansell from that title (GP Whinger of the Century)?

Kimi is getting flak for saying that - plenty of people reckon that he wasn't as quick as Massa on the day.  For my money, he was but I guess we'll never know.

As for GP2, I find it amateurish.  Most of the excitement stems from silly mistakes made by one driver that then allows another driver to pass.  Maybe the quality of the drivers is less than in other years but I've watched the famous Timo Glock and thought him very ordinary indeed.  At least F1 drivers don't fly off the road at every opportunity.

.oO(There, that ought to set the cat amongst the pigeons :D)

Offline rmassart

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 05:35:45 AM »
I feel for Nando in his situation.  He is feeling aggrieved that still McLaren refuse to favour either driver and is driven to point out the extra contributions that he makes that apparently go unrecognised.

Well, if his pay packet is 10 times that of LH then his contribution should be 10 times that as well, no? This is why they hired him, why they pay him so much. To bring that 6 thenths....

I just don't see what he's whinging about. He knew before he joined them that there would be driver parity - there always is at McLaren. So really he's just frustrated that he can't get a grip on LH.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 10:50:21 AM »
Alonso's comment made no sense to me either. For one thing, Alonso is being paid millions for his contribution (the only reason Hamilton is making millions is because of his bonus scheme), and he should have foreseen that he'd be making a big contribution and asked to be paid accordingly. Also, as Hamilton rightly pointed out, there are about 1000 employees at McLaren. If one of them starts taking excess credit, how does that make the other 999 feel?

Making this sort of comment is also counter-productive to correcting the perceived problem. McLaren, in common with most (all?) other teams, will not re-negotiate a contract mid-stream without an excellent reason. Comments that implicitly devalue the rest of the workforce do not constitute an excellent reason. Alonso should consider himself lucky he never drove for Prost - Jean Alesi got fined for making that sort of comment in 2001.

Yes, Alonso is important to McLaren this year - and he's being rewarded for it.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 10:56:14 AM »
Alonso is paid what Ron Dennis thought he was worth before the season began.  And, if it's true that he brought an extra six tenths of a second (which people have said Renault are lacking thanks to Alonso's departure), then he's worth it - that amount of time is the difference between the front of the grid and the midfield.

Hamilton also is paid what Ron thought he was worth - the fact that he has proved worth more than that is irrelevant to any comparison with Alonso.  The matter will no doubt be addressed next year and Hamilton will be able to move to the moon if he wants to, let alone Switzerland.

We already knew (from his comments about Renault last year) that Fernando is a whiner.  But he still delivers in the races so I guess we can accept that, as so many accepted Michael Schumacher's handicapping of his team mates.  Nobody's perfect (not even Hamilton).

Offline johnbull

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 11:37:21 AM »
Is Alonso calculating his 0.6 up for Mc laren or down for Renault?

The 0.6 down at Renault is definately Alonso. I think we are all in agreement there. We saw it last year where he was on an average about 0.6 quicker than Fizi most of the time.

I'm not sure he'd be 0.6 quicker than Kimi on equal cars at Mc Laren.  In fact I'll rephrase that. I'm absolutely sure he wouldn't be.

The whole Alonso Whinge syndrome centres around Lewis Hamilton. Nando signed with Macca when he reckoned Kimi wouldn't be there and he would have an easy time as undisputed TOP driver, getting everybody's full attention all the time. Indeed he would have done, but unfortunately for him, and to everybody's surprise, Macca suddenly found themselves with a number 2 driver who was at least as quick as Nando on most occasions. Whilst this was a cherry on the cake for Macca it was a sword in the side for Alonso.

There are some drivers that love the challenge of a quick team mate - Kimi springs to mind, and others that hate it - read MS and FA here. MS was clever enough to ensure that the No 2 at Ferrari was always going to be number 2. Nando never saw it coming so didn't bother, but even if he had done I can't see Macca ever change their ways for anyone, least of all Nando.
Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle