collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 529
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Quote of the race Hungry  (Read 4547 times)

Offline Chameleon

Re: Quote of the race Hungry
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 12:34:06 PM »
To be fair to Alonso, he signed for McLaren long before anyone knew that Kimi was going.  And so Fernando must have been prepared to be in the same team with the guy everyone reckons is the fastest of them all.  I doubt very much that team mates were in Alonso's mind when he decided to jump ship from Renault to McLaren - it looked as though Renault might not continue in F1 and the best seat going at the time was with McLaren.  Nando went for that option and only began to think about team mates afterwards.

Actually, I think Nando had also looked at Raikkonen and reckoned he could beat him.  He had beaten the Shoe and Kimi had never really done much until he went to McLaren, plus Nando had beaten Kimi when the Finn had the better car; there was a strong possibility that Kimi was over-rated or at least so unlucky that he would not mount a strong enough challenge.  In fact, the jury is still out on that one, considering Kimi's inability to put Massa firmly in his place at Ferrari (no, I still don't rate Massa).  It is quite possible that Nando would have blown Kimi away had they both been in McLarens this year.

But that scenario never happened.  Instead Alonso went to McLaren thinking his job would be really easy now that he was teamed with a rookie.  Imagine the unpleasant surprise he had.  Heck, that alone is enough to get a Spaniard whingeing.  So yes, Hamilton is a large part of the frustration that Nando feels but it's not everything.  I'm quite sure the guy feels the whole world is against him and wishes he had the Shoe's arrangement with McLaren.

But he has responded well to such challenges in the past.  He may moan out of the cockpit but in the car he gets on with it.  I am still convinced that he will be world champion again this year.

And, of course, even if he does that, McLaren still won't have a number one driver...  ;)
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline johnbull

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 03:55:24 PM »
I've always reckoned on Kimi as World Champ this year, and I still do.

He gives off that air of confidence so lacking in either Massa or Nando.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline raindancer

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 04:09:04 PM »
Is Alonso calculating his 0.6 up for Mc laren or down for Renault?

The 0.6 down at Renault is definately Alonso. I think we are all in agreement there. We saw it last year where he was on an average about 0.6 quicker than Fizi most of the time.

I'm not sure he'd be 0.6 quicker than Kimi on equal cars at Mc Laren.  In fact I'll rephrase that. I'm absolutely sure he wouldn't be.

The whole Alonso Whinge syndrome centres around Lewis Hamilton. Nando signed with Macca when he reckoned Kimi wouldn't be there and he would have an easy time as undisputed TOP driver, getting everybody's full attention all the time. Indeed he would have done, but unfortunately for him, and to everybody's surprise, Macca suddenly found themselves with a number 2 driver who was at least as quick as Nando on most occasions. Whilst this was a cherry on the cake for Macca it was a sword in the side for Alonso.

There are some drivers that love the challenge of a quick team mate - Kimi springs to mind, and others that hate it - read MS and FA here. MS was clever enough to ensure that the No 2 at Ferrari was always going to be number 2. Nando never saw it coming so didn't bother, but even if he had done I can't see Macca ever change their ways for anyone, least of all Nando.
I disagree with a few things John.
1. Alonso was never scared of driving alongside Kimi and his joining Mclaren preceded
Kimi joining Ferrari. So Alonso was always prepared to drive against a top team mate.
MS is different story altogether.
I will concede that Alonso did not expect Lewis to make such an impact as he did and so did Ron Dennis. Hamilton was expected to stretch Alonso in Mclaren but no one expected that he would do so well. In that sense he is doing his job he was initially contracted to. This is not to say that Lewis does not have talent but rather that he being in his first season in F1 he wasn't expected to be leading the WDC by many people. Hamilton's success is a bonus for Mclaren which they are enjoying thoroughly.
Don't Fight Forces ! Use them

Offline Monty

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2007, 11:37:33 AM »
Any driver that complains about his 'lot' when he has a competitive car and is being paid millions, makes me sick!
Alonso was taken to McLaren because of his sponsors. There were at least six other drivers that could have been just as quick.
'I brought six tenths of a second' ....arogant idiot. The car was fast out of the box. It took Alonso several test sessions to catch up with the McLaren test driver.
If sponsors money wasn't so important to this sport McLaren would have fired Alonso at Hungary and brought in one of the other talented drivers in the paddock.

Offline raindancer

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 01:50:01 PM »
Any driver that complains about his 'lot' when he has a competitive car and is being paid millions, makes me sick!
Alonso was taken to McLaren because of his sponsors. There were at least six other drivers that could have been just as quick.
'I brought six tenths of a second' ....arogant idiot. The car was fast out of the box. It took Alonso several test sessions to catch up with the McLaren test driver.
If sponsors money wasn't so important to this sport McLaren would have fired Alonso at Hungary and brought in one of the other talented drivers in the paddock.
Come on Monty. No reason to abuse. Alonso is a paid driver not a paying driver I suppose. With regards to six others, they haven't won two WDC titles and haven't beaten MS in a straight fight.

Offline Monty

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 02:09:17 PM »
I'm not being abusive. Alonso's statement was arogant and he is being an idiot by making statements like this to the press.
He clearly has talent. If he is as good as he thinks he is, he should concentrate on beating Hamilton on the track (not at press conferences). Better still he should be beating the Ferraris because if he brought sixth tenths of a second with him he would be so talented that he would be able to outdrive the car benefit Ferrari had in Turkey.
As you may have gathered it is the 'six tenths' that is bugging me. Nobody in F1 has so much driving and engineering expertise to bring sixth tenths to a top flight team. If it was that easy the combination of Newey and Coulthard would have Red Bulls winning every race.

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2007, 05:08:51 PM »
I agree that Alonso is being very silly too keep up his sniping campaign through the Spanish press - he should shut up and put up, yes.  I'm just saying that I can understand why he feels aggrieved, not that I think he has any justification for it.

The six tenths is what's bugging everyone and I reckon it's come from that assertion in the Renault camp that Alonso gave them that much extra speed - Alonso is just using it to make his point.

But I'm interested in the six other drivers who would be just as quick.  Which ones are they?  Raikkonen, I guess, and some would say Massa.  Hamilton obviously.  Perhaps we could shove Nico in there but that's a matter of opinion.  I would include Heidfeld but you probably wouldn't, Monty.  Ralf has already said he's one but nobody seems to agree with him.  It sounds as though you'd pick Coulthard as a contender but I think Webber has shown who is faster there - and I wouldn't put Mark in the same class as Alonso.  So just who are we talking here?

Offline Monty

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2007, 05:36:03 PM »
Now we are into pure opinion and speculation. I excluded Massa & Raikkonen only because they are already proving themselves at Ferrari. My less obvious six (in no particular order as all good reality shows would say) were:-
Heidfield, Rosberg, Kubica, Barichello, Button and, given time, Kovalinen.
This is a pointless exercise of course but I honestly think drivers with proven records like Button and Barichello could leave Alonso for dead in the right car. My reasoning is that their driving styles are are skilled and smooth plus they are clever thinkers. Alonso has explosive raw driving ability but he has made lots of mistakes and cannot control his feelings. That said, he is still a young man and if he gets a grip on his emotions he could become one of the all time greats.

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2007, 05:58:46 PM »
Speculation and opinion is more fun, Monty!

I find your suggestions very interesting and would not disagree with any of them.  I think they are all very capable and only need a good car to give a good account of themselves.  You have restored my faith in the old guard - thanks!  :)

Offline Ian

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2007, 08:07:42 PM »
If Alonso does'nt like it then he should walk, Ron has already said if a driver is not happy he will not stop him walking, but then it's just alonso whinging, he won't walk, not with mega bucks in his back pocket
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline raindancer

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2007, 08:52:26 PM »
Now we are into pure opinion and speculation. I excluded Massa & Raikkonen only because they are already proving themselves at Ferrari. My less obvious six (in no particular order as all good reality shows would say) were:-
Heidfield, Rosberg, Kubica, Barichello, Button and, given time, Kovalinen.
This is a pointless exercise of course but I honestly think drivers with proven records like Button and Barichello could leave Alonso for dead in the right car. My reasoning is that their driving styles are are skilled and smooth plus they are clever thinkers. Alonso has explosive raw driving ability but he has made lots of mistakes and cannot control his feelings. That said, he is still a young man and if he gets a grip on his emotions he could become one of the all time greats.
OK Monty ! Barrichello had an as good a car as MS but he didn't do anything serious consistently.
Button's only claim to fame " The British Press" . If he was as good, he would have had a better driving option already.
Kubica is yet to prove anything beyond his talent.
Rosberg is close but I dont think he can "leave Alonso for Dead".
So what are we talking about. And do you think the most astute and succesful team in F1 would have signed Alonso so early on without evidence and proof ?

Offline johnbull

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2007, 09:05:51 PM »
Now this has been an interesting read. :good:

I must say, Monti's 6 are pretty much spot on from where I'm sitting. Is there place for Trulli there somewhere? I really rate the guy, perhaps not for consistency but for fairly regular quick laps.

Nando is bloody quick by anybody's standards, but if only he'd keep his mouth shut! He screws it all every time he whinges.

One thing I've noticed this season in particular. He's getting ruffled more easily. Remember him with Michael all over him at Imola - didn't bat an eyelid. And a couple of other places too. But look at him now with Hammy.

Strange he has been effected that way. He was so cool, once.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Ian

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2007, 09:22:28 PM »
Whilst I admit Alonso is quite a good driver, he is only cool lately when he is in front, as for fighting from back a bit in the grid, well, if it had'nt been for LH's blow-out he would'nt have been an undeserving 3rd. As for beating Michael in a straight fight, I would'nt consider him worthy to carry Michaels helmet.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Dare

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2007, 09:31:02 PM »
As far as saying Ruebens had as good a
car as MS and did'nt take advantage of it,
all I can say is"don't make me laugh"

Ruebens has said he was'nt allowed to
win and I have no reason to doubt him!
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Monty

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2007, 09:49:53 AM »
I'm completely with dare on this one. I had the priviledge of meeting Rubens and several F1 engineers at a charity kart meeting. It was off-season, just after he had left Ferrari. I was probably the only non-F1 person in the group and his discussions with the other guys was so obviously a man relieved to have been given his b*lls back. It was obvious that MS was number one and everyone had to do what they were told. Rubens had to give Michael all of his telematry and details of settings but he wasn't allowed to know what Michael's settings were. If I understood correctly they were also talking about Michael having 'special' tyres that nobody else got. Even as the clear 'number 2' Rubens still competed closely to MS. I think Rubens and Jenson are real potential winners and I just hope Honda soon give them a car where they can start to compete. I honestly think they are both better and more complete drivers than Alonso.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle