collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 368
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Silly Season  (Read 8731 times)

Offline johnbull

Re: Silly Season
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2007, 09:05:51 PM »
I doubt Dave richards would want a turncoat either.

There's only one team for Nando. Ferrari. They speak the same lingo.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2007, 09:10:31 PM »
I think now he is an asset only in the financial sense.  If he wants out of his contract it is going to cost him.  Given how much Honda paid to get Button you have to wonder what they might consider good value for Alonso.  I can't see Renault paying to get his release but Marlboro seem to be prepared to write blank cheques for Ferrari.

Of course Alonso probably has a clause in his contract that allows him to walk if Mclaren don't meet certain criteria.  One of those criteria will be adversely affecting his image/value such as by him being associated with any scandal.

Offline raindancer

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2007, 07:44:18 PM »
You hit the nail on the head Steven ! The overwhelming opinion is that Hamilton win will mean nothing in the annals in the sport.
Don't Fight Forces ! Use them

Online Dare

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2007, 09:12:08 PM »
You hit the nail on the head Steven ! The overwhelming opinion is that Hamilton win will mean nothing in the annals in the sport.

who's overwhelming opioion are you referring to,not mine and
I can't answer for Steven but I did'nt get that from his

My overwhelming feeing is that Alonso is tarnishing
his image in the annals of sports.While at times I
thought Michael pushed the rules and fair play a
bit,Fernando does things that would make Schumi
look like a choirboy :o
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline johnbull

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2007, 09:19:09 PM »
While at times I thought Michael pushed the rules and fair play a
bit, Fernando does things that would make Schumi look like a choirboy :o

I don't think I could have put that better myself. ;)
Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2007, 11:21:10 PM »

I don't understand what I wrote that gave you that opinion.  I think Hamilton winning the championship could be one of the most significant events in the history of the sport.  First rookie to win a championship.  A rookie winning the championship despite being paired with supposedly the dominant driver in the sport.  First non-white driver to win a championship. 

Schumacher winning his first championship is not regarded as meaning nothing but his car at times was illegal and he clinched the championship by ramming his rival off the road after he made a stupid mistake that should have cost him the championship.

Offline raindancer

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2007, 07:11:08 AM »
After Mclaren penalty Hamilton's win this year will not mean much in a lame duck season. As Alonso tarnishing the sport ! What has he done?
He has just reported something illegal that was going on ! Actually he didn't report, Ron himself went and reported because Alonso apparently threatened him and we only one version of the whole thing yet. Lets wait for Alonso's version.
It is Mclaren who have tarnished the image by getting caught and not Alonso.

Offline johnbull

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2007, 08:55:03 AM »
On the contrary, if Hamilton wins the championship this year it will go down in history in more ways than one.

He will have beaten, not just the rest of the field, but his own double world champion team mate who screwed his team because he wasn't winning, the might of Ferrari and it's warped Italian legal system, and most important of all that Fashist Max mosley and his FIA.

Even the great Michael Schumacher didn't manage to beat all that lot in one fell swoop! ;) :yahoo:

Oh, and I'm still waiting for something that tells me that Mc Laren have done something illegal.
Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline raindancer

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2007, 10:11:09 AM »
When the Team is found guilty of possesing a competitors secrets how can the WDC won by anyone in that car be sacrosanct.
Won't it undermine the title ? Adulation is fine but .......

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2007, 12:46:42 PM »
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/formula_1/article2461288.ece

Formula One is bracing itself for another spying scandal amid speculation that secret technical information has been passed to the Renault team by a former McLaren engineer.

This is only one of the stories I have read recently that suggest teams having information that they shouldn't have is endemic in the sport and pretty much always has been.  Jackie Stewart has discussed how Tyrrell used to have information on its rivals 30 odd years ago.  What has happened is nothing special.  This case is only seen as different because Max made an issue out of it.  Toyota had two employees convicted in a court of law of taking information from Ferrari a couple of seasons ago.  Max took no action.  There is a blatant pro-Ferrari bias at the heart of the FIA and always has been.  Colin Chapman suggested once when one of his new designs was banned that he would submit the same car at the next race and paint it red to see if it was legal then.

The whole mess is nothing new just as Alonso offering his mechanics a bonus is nothing new.  I read an article recently where Fangio said he always worked at keeping his mechanics on his side.  At one race meeting he had a terrible vibration and they couldn't cure it.  On race morning the vibration was gone.  When asked how it had been cured in an interview years later he said he had no idea but he knew that his team mate Onofre Marimon had almost had his teeth shaken out during the race. 

The only difference nowadays is these matters are publicised.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 04:38:12 PM by Steven Roy »

Offline Scott

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2007, 01:39:12 PM »
"Other sources say that McLaren is going to be willing to release Alonso, but this seems unlikely as it makes no sense for McLaren to free one of its biggest assets "

I would hardly call someone who shops the team and whinges about No1 status an assett. thinking along those lines would you want to employ him?????

sideways to prodrive mclaren hmmmm I like that idea

Mick

Is that Mick the bouncer from Toronto?
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online cosworth151

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2007, 04:24:23 PM »
I think one of the most important, long term effects of a Hamilton championship is its potential to bring a great many new fans to the sport. He's getting F1 coverage in areas that have completely ignored it before. It's a shame that this trumped-up FIA business is tarnishing it.

The vast discrepancy between the punishment for Toyota and McLaren is appalling. Toyota employees were convicted in a court of law. Toyota has a history of cheating. They got booted out of WRC for it. McLaren’s people have never been convicted of anything. Yet Toyota didn’t get fined a cent and didn’t loose any points. (As if they had any to loose)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2007, 09:22:53 AM »
When the Team is found guilty of possesing a competitors secrets how can the WDC won by anyone in that car be sacrosanct.
Won't it undermine the title ? Adulation is fine but .......

There was (and remains) no proof that McLaren used any Ferrari intellectual property and the team was found guilty by a corupt and biased panel with absolutely no legal rights. Every sane and sensible person knows this. It is therefore Ferraris claims to be World Champions that is completely hollow and if Hamilton goes on to win, his success will be even more impressive due to the incredible amount of unfair political nonsense that he has had to deal with.
Come on give the guy a break and accept he is an excellent racer and the sport needs more like him.

Offline romephius

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2007, 10:16:32 AM »
I have bitten my fingers (tongue) long enough now......several people KEEP saying that there is no PROOF that McLaren used the information....now from what I understand they weren't punished the first time because there was no evidence that the information was beyond coughlan....second time came full admissions that the team knew about the data....now whether they used it or not they ARE GUILTY of breaking the rules.....just by being in POSSESSION of the data.  The whole thing is considered over by Mr Dennis (a true professional), the FIA (probably one of the most inept organisations) and thats it.  I don't see the need to constantly rehash this contraversy.  It is over and done with.....fair or not......IT IS DONE

Please people let it go

Rom  >:(

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2007, 10:26:52 AM »
Sorry but it is a long way from being done.  The FIA do not consider it to be over.  McLaren have to submit next year's car to tests to see if it has an Ferrari derived bits on it.  How is anyone going to know what is Ferrari derived and what isn't?

And I still don't understand why the twin chassis Lotus was illegal either.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 10:41:11 AM by Steven Roy »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle