collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 362
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: World Motor Sport Council to consider new 'spy scandal' evidence  (Read 6790 times)

Offline romephius

World Motor Sport Council to consider new 'spy scandal' evidence
« on: September 06, 2007, 09:39:18 AM »
The FIA’s World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) is to reconvene next week for another hearing on the McLaren-Ferrari ‘spy scandal’, following the emergence of new evidence. As a result, the referral of the matter to the International Court of Appeal has been withdrawn.

In July, McLaren were found to be in breach of the International Sporting Code for possessing confidential Ferrari data, though the team escaped sanction as the Council could find insufficient evidence that the information had been used.

At the time they were warned by the Council that "if it is found in the future that the Ferrari information has been used to the detriment of the championship, we reserve the right to invite Vodafone McLaren Mercedes back in front of the WMSC where it will face the possibility of exclusion from not only the 2007 championship but also the 2008 championship."

FIA President Max Mosley subsequently referred the matter for appeal after complaints that Ferrari had not been able to fully present their version of events to the Council.

That appeal had been due to take place next Thursday, September 13. Instead, the the Council will now assemble on that date to consider the new evidence, the source or nature of which has not been revealed. McLaren, who have been invited to attend the hearing, say they will continue to co-operate fully with the FIA.

The FIA’s statement in full:
Vodafone McLaren Mercedes
FIA World Motor Sport Council Decision July 26th, 2007

Following the receipt of new evidence the World Motor Sport Council has been reconvened for a hearing in Paris on September 13th.

In accordance with its decision of July 26th representatives of Vodafone McLaren Mercedes have been invited to attend the hearing.

The FIA President’s referral of the matter to the International Court of Appeal has been withdrawn.

Source: www.formula1.com

Rom

Offline johnbull

Re: World Motor Sport Council to consider new 'spy scandal' evidence
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 10:12:19 AM »
Wouldn't it be nice if Ferrari tried to beat Mc Laren on the track, rather than in court.

If for no other reason out of simple respect for the millions of motorsport fans all over the world.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline romephius

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 10:18:08 AM »
Well Johnbull, I suppose the flipside of that coin 'could' be, wouldn't be nice if McLaren could actually compete without stolen information??

To be honest though, I have no favouritism for either side......I agree that everything should be done on track and not decided in a room by people that don't strap on a car and race.

Let's all hope that it just blows over....I know I want it to....

Rom

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 11:22:23 AM »
We don't know if McLaren did use the stolen information, or whether Coughlan just had it on file without influencing much of anything. Remember that the incident happened in March, and there is little design work done at that point.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline romephius

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 11:38:45 AM »
Too true Ali.....I was just evening the keel a little......coz apparently Ferrari are guilty until proven innocent.....and McLaren gets the benefit of the doubt....personally I think it's 2 individuals who have brought the sport into disrepute, McLaren as a team have done nothing wrong and Ferrari is trying to protect itself (just like any of us would if we were in the same situation)

Just to explain myself a little more.  My fav team is McLaren (but I don't support either driver)

My Fav Drivers are Kimi, Massa and Webber (of course)...but I don't support their teams

I will appologise to you all for my opinions stated here....but the whole steppney-coughlan thing has completely irritated me because it's a HUGE they say we say thing.

YET ANOTHER RAMBLE THAT GOES NOWHERE PROUDLY BROUGHT TO YOU BY

Rom

BTW...Ali and John......you both make very VERY good points

Offline johnbull

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 03:09:26 PM »
So now the FIA is getting at Mc Laren about another supposed infringement, this time the gearbox in Hungary.

Isn't it all getting all a bit beyond the joke.It's funny how these things always crop up just before a GP to demoralise Mc Laren.

The FIA is spoiling the sport with these constant controversies. If there was something irregular the scrutineers should have noted it there and then and acted on it. Bringing it out public now shows complete inefficiency and incompetance on the part of the organising body, the FIA.

But then I suppose that's nothing new.
Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 03:43:14 PM »
I think it's a good idea. Get all of the lawyers, bureaucrats, apparatchiks and everyone else from both sides and the FIA together in one room. Then they can lock the door, loose the key and get back to racing!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 05:14:05 PM »
Rom is correct.
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 06:28:35 PM »
There's a new twist to the story. Now the FIA is looking at e-mails between Fernando Alonso and Pedro de la Rosa. ITV and GrandPrix.com have both listed the story.

ITV-F1.com understands that it could be linked to an email conversation between Alonso and McLaren test driver de la Rosa that contained set-up information on Ferrari's F2007 that pre-dates the dossier incident that sparked the scandal.

The FIA is believed to have been tipped-off to the nature of this email and subsequently sent correspondence to McLaren's drivers, as well as all the teams, reminding them that it was their duty to provide the governing body with information pertaining to the case.

Alonso and de la Rosa are also thought to have been offered an 'amnesty' from any censure in return for their full cooperation.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Dare

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 06:33:31 PM »
and the band played on

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline johnbull

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 11:27:34 AM »
Is the FIA admitting that it hacks into private e mails, or that it condones people that do?
Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 05:01:38 PM »
The story is that it was the Italian Postal Service that provided the information.  Apparently it's all excused as anti-terrorist measures.

They didn't say anything about anti-FIA measures, however...
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Online Dare

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 05:26:50 PM »
now their accusing Alonso of turning in Merc so
he can get out of his contract

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_2713910,00.html
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline johnbull

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 07:58:40 PM »
I am sick to death of hearing nothing on Italian TV but SPY STORY. What tiny minds these Italian commentators have.

We are in the midst of one of the greatest seasons in Formula 1 for many years; there is so much interesting F1 discussion, so many interesting new features, so many interesting new drivers, just so much going on, why are they only capable of talking such rubbish.

But more important, why is the FIA fanning the flames. Instead of discouraging it the FIA seems to be fanning the flames. I know Max dislikes Ron and wants to get his own back on him, but at what cost. He is behaving totally irresponsibly.

I have been an F1 follower for 45 years but it has got to the stage that I switched the telly off immediately qualifying was over. I couldn't stand the rubbish, the accusations, the lies.

I am not a Mc Laren fan; never have been, but I hope that when the whole thing is over and Mc Laren are cleared, they sue Ferrari for all they're worth.

And I hope Max is asked to resign for making such a pigs ear of the whole sad affair. He ought tro be ashamed of himself. He doesn't deserve the responsible job he presently has.
Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline johnbull

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2007, 09:58:00 PM »
I always said that I liked listening to cesare fiorio because he is always so unbiased. He confirmed it again today. Asked for the umpteenth time about whether he things Mc Laren ought to be hung, drawn and quartered he replied that he thought the FIA were acting unfairly because they had not taken the same action against Toyota when 2 ex Ferrari staff took documents to Toyota. Ferrari had sued in Italy and these 2 persons were sentenced but the FIA had rightly not interfered.

Yet now the FIA is fanning the flames even before there is a civil sentence.
Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle