collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 393
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1 dispute must not ruin season by Mark Blundell  (Read 1048 times)

Offline Wizzo

F1 dispute must not ruin season by Mark Blundell
« on: September 11, 2007, 02:17:27 PM »

There was a sense at Monza, with what happened on Saturday and the appearance of magistrates at the door of McLaren, that things had got out of hand. My biggest concern is the damage being done to Formula One. Once you get to the point where disputes between teams leave the sporting arena and enter the criminal one, there is a real problem. We risk undoing at a stroke the great strides F1 has made in the past couple of years.

If this dispute involved two teams at the other end of the grid it would struggle to make the back page let alone the front. But this is Ferrari and McLaren, the two biggest names in F1. Some people in the pit lane need to take a good look at themselves.

Fans don't turn on the TV or turn up at the racetrack to see teams having a go at each other through lawyers. They come to watch drivers race. More thought ought to be given to them, they are ultimately the source of all the wealth generated in this sport.

After years of falling attendances and disappointing viewing figures the fans are coming back because they are seeing one of the best world championship battles in over a decade. What we have is something special - let's not ruin it. Sport should be about enjoyment, it should not be about politics.

I was impressed by the way McLaren held it all together. I was standing right by the McLaren garage at the end of the race and they celebrated as if they had won the world championship. There was so much satisfaction to have come through a difficult weekend and won at the home of Ferrari. At the same time there was a realisation that it could all be irrelevant.

Ron Dennis was particularly impressive. If you attack him, you attack McLaren and vice versa. This is one of the toughest years he has known. He is a racer, he has come from being a mechanic to a team owner. His vision has made one of the most successful grand prix teams ever. He's an astute businessman and a multi-millionaire. I was watching him at various points across the weekend thinking, "Ron, why are you still here? Why are you doing this?" What drives him is his passion as a racer. There is a huge pressure riding on him this week - and on the sport.

The result in Italy underlined the class and quality of Fernando Alonso as a race driver. It was what we have been looking for and what we have not been given for a while, a remarkable performance in the circumstances.

Lewis Hamilton's inexperience showed a little. Monza is one of the most difficult circuits, you go out with such limited downforce. There is low downforce elsewhere but not at these speeds, 200 mph plus. The comfort level was not there all weekend for Lewis. Alonso was at the top of his game and capitalised. Spa this weekend will not expose as much the discrepancy in experience.

Hamilton still had his successes at Monza. The move he pulled on Kimi Raikkonen will go down as the overtaking manoeuvre of the season.

Mark Blundell
The Telegraph

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline cosworth151

Re: F1 dispute must not ruin season by Mark Blundell
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 02:38:28 PM »
I have to agree with Blundell, Jackie Stewart, Frank Williams and others that this spy case witch hunt is hurting the sport right at the time it should be making a come back. I don't think it's F1's biggest problem, though.

I think F1's biggest problem is FOM's neverending efforts to alienate its long time fan base by taking away their home races. The loss or theatened loss of England, France, Holland, the USA and others will do more long term damage than a one-season scandel ever will.

I'm wondering what the rest of you think the biggest threat to the sport is. The spy case, the removal of traditional race, the processional racing with the lack of overtaking, the loss of the independents, or something else.

Cos
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline johnbull

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 04:50:33 PM »
It all boils down to mismanagement. The FIA is supposed to manage the Formula 1 World Championship, but it's president is a puppet of Bernie Ecclestone, and it's president has too many chips on his shoulder that he puts before the honest and genuine running of the Formula 1 World Championship. This witch hunt of Ron Dennis is a perfect example.

In short, unless there is a change at the top, we don't stand a chance.

If Mc Laren win the case on Thursday, then the only honourable thing for Max Mosley to do is to resign, because this whole thing is of his own making, and for his own personal satisfaction and vendetta.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline romephius

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 09:35:31 PM »
I ask only 1 question here: What if McLaren are ACTUALLY guilty???

I ask this only because none of us TRULY know with evidence one way or the other.

If they are guilty....then FIA have done there job properly..

Just offering the flip side of the coin.

Rom

Offline johnbull

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 10:15:27 PM »
No Rom. As I see it, the FIA could have done a much more subtle job of the whole affair instead of dragging it out in public the way they did.

They did it this way because Max wants to show the world how macho he is. But all this exhibitionism is harming the sport.

That's my argument. I couldn't give a toss who's guilty but it could have been handled more discreetly.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline romephius

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 11:47:55 PM »
Ahhh...now I understand...Thanks for clearing that up for me Johnbull..... and yes you are right about the whole subtley thing.....

Rom

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle